What math tools are especially important for physics majors?

In summary: You should be taking modern physics first, and then taking calc 1 and 2. Modern physics covers all of the topics you need for calc 1 and calc 2.
elad katzir
hi all! I'm a first-year second-semester physics major, problem is I'm very weak at math, often not getting questions right just because I get stuck with the mathematics part. this affects me in both mechanics and electricity
what are the most important math subject and tools needed for physics majors? where can I learn them from?
thanks ahead to everyone who answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The math tools really should be part of your early university studies, even if you are a physics major the relevant math should be taught in any physics program so typically you would learn them from your program.

In terms of the math subjects most relevant to physics, it depends on the physics subject but typically linear algebra and single- and multivariable calculus are absolutely fundamental. After that, there are many many others that are relevant as well, just some examples:
  • Vector and tensor analysis
  • Complex analysis
  • Ordinary and partial differential equations
  • Series and transforms

Likes Hamiltonian
elad katzir said:
hi all! I'm a first-year second-semester physics major, problem is I'm very weak at math, often not getting questions right just because I get stuck with the mathematics part. this affects me in both mechanics and electricity
what are the most important math subject and tools needed for physics majors? where can I learn them from?
thanks ahead to everyone who answers!
As Orodruin says, your math classes should be tied well to your physics classes in university. Can you list all of your classes from your first semester studies? What classes are you taking now in your 2nd semester?

Is the issue that your math preparation in high school (or whatever it is called in your country) didn't seem to be adequate for university?

Last edited:
At the point you're currently at, you should know:
  • algebra and trigonometry
  • how to differentiate
  • how to do basic integrals
  • how to solve simple first-order differential equations
Knowing how to solve the differential equation ##y''+\omega^2 y=0## can help, but it's not strictly necessary yet. Familiarity with some concepts from Calc 3 is also helpful, but again, you'll learn enough in your physics classes along the way to get by.

The most important is being able to do algebra and trig efficiently and correctly. If you're still making dumb mistakes like ##\frac{3x+4}{3} = x+4## or ##\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=a+b##, that's a big problem. If you still rely on SOHCAHTOA to remind yourself what sine and cosine are, that's not acceptable.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
As Orodruin says, your math classes should be tied well to your physics classes in university. Can you list all of your classes from your first semester studies? What classes are you taking now in your 2nd semester?

Is the issue that your math preparation in high school (or whatever it is called in your country) didn't seem to be adequate for university?
I'm taking currently mechanics, calc 2 and electricity and magnetism
previous semester I had calc 1 (but I barely managed to pass it, got the exact grade need to pass after there was a factor), and modern physics.
its highly possible that the math preparation in high school also wasn't good enough for university level

• Informative
Likes berkeman
vela said:
At the point you're currently at, you should know:
  • algebra and trigonometry
  • how to differentiate
  • how to do basic integrals
  • how to solve simple first-order differential equations
Knowing how to solve the differential equation ##y''+\omega^2 y=0## can help, but it's not strictly necessary yet. Familiarity with some concepts from Calc 3 is also helpful, but again, you'll learn enough in your physics classes along the way to get by.

The most important is being able to do algebra and trig efficiently and correctly. If you're still making dumb mistakes like ##\frac{3x+4}{3} = x+4## or ##\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=a+b##, that's a big problem. If you still rely on SOHCAHTOA to remind yourself what sine and cosine are, that's not acceptable.
I know basic integrals up until the D.I method for integration by part but not how to solve any differential equations, except one. and I know differentiate but not by the hearth, often making dumb mistakes like forgetting an ln when differentiating 4ln^2(x+1)

elad katzir said:
I'm taking currently mechanics, calc 2 and electricity and magnetism
previous semester I had calc 1 (but I barely managed to pass it, got the exact grade need to pass after there was a factor), and modern physics.
That makes no sense. You are going through the courses wrong.

elad katzir said:
previous semester I had calc 1 (but I barely managed to pass it, got the exact grade need to pass after there was a factor)
This no doubt is where in lies your problem.

1. What is the most basic math tool that physics majors need to know?

The most basic math tool that physics majors need to know is calculus. This includes both differential and integral calculus, as it is the foundation for understanding many physical concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and forces.

2. Are there any other math tools besides calculus that are important for physics majors?

Yes, there are many other math tools that are important for physics majors. These include linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. These tools are used to solve complex problems and model physical systems.

3. How important is statistics for physics majors?

Statistics is an essential math tool for physics majors. It is used to analyze and interpret data, which is a crucial aspect of conducting experiments and making accurate predictions in physics.

4. Do physics majors need to have a strong understanding of geometry?

While geometry is not the most heavily used math tool in physics, it is still important for understanding geometric concepts such as motion in a plane or three-dimensional space. A strong understanding of geometry can also help with visualizing and solving problems in physics.

5. Are there any computer programming languages that are important for physics majors?

Yes, computer programming languages such as Python and MATLAB are important for physics majors. These languages are used for data analysis, simulations, and modeling physical systems. They can also help with automating calculations and solving complex problems.