Submit this essay for summer programs?

In summary, the person is a high school sophomore applying to 3-4 summer programs and is considering submitting their own work as part of their application. They are unsure if their work is impressive enough and have previously received mixed feedback on their writing. The essay in question is for the DuPont Science Essay Challenge and the person is seeking advice on whether or not to include it in their application.
Simfish
Gold Member
I'm applying to 3-4 summer programs (Summer Science Program, NASA SHARP, UW Summer Academy, and maybe another). I'm thinking of attaching some of my own work - but I'm wondering if this work is impressive for a sophomore applying to a highly competitive summer science program - Should I submit it as a piece of my sample work to these programs?... (I submitted it for the DuPont Science Essay Challenge)/

Thanks for your input!

Of course, one thing is - most of the feedback I've received was "Good job, science was too difficult" or "pretty good," which is an indication that the essay wasn't too great and that the reader didn't want to hurt my feelings (although it wasn't too bad either). Hopefully, I'll get some new responses.

Essay is at...

http://simfish89.tripod.com/dupontscienceessay.doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
give us the essay question or prompt so we know what your objective is :smile:

Last edited:
Other than an overuse of hyphens, it is otherwise well-written. Just to clarify, when you say you're a sophomore, do you mean high school or college? If you're in high school, this would be a good example of your work if the applications require such material.

Well - Prompt is essentially - write whatever you know about whatever topic you choose. ;)

I'm a high school sophomore. Summer progs don't require it so it much be especially good for me to submit it to them - or else I'll just be seen as trying to pile up stuff on them.

Simfishy said:
Well - Prompt is essentially - write whatever you know about whatever topic you choose. ;)

I'm a high school sophomore. Summer progs don't require it so it much be especially good for me to submit it to them - or else I'll just be seen as trying to pile up stuff on them.

If they don't ask for it, don't send it, unless there's a statement permitting optional supplemental material. It could hurt your chances if you don't follow the application instructions and bog them down with extra material to read.

Related to Submit this essay for summer programs?

1. How do I submit my essay for summer programs?

To submit your essay for summer programs, you will need to follow the specific instructions provided by each program. This may include uploading your essay on their website, sending it via email, or mailing a hard copy. Make sure to carefully read and follow the submission guidelines to ensure your essay is received in a timely manner.

2. Is there a specific format or word count for the essay?

The format and word count for the essay may vary depending on the summer program you are applying to. Some programs may have specific requirements, while others may be more open-ended. It is important to carefully review the application guidelines and follow any formatting or word count instructions given.

3. Can I submit the same essay for multiple summer programs?

You can typically submit the same essay for multiple summer programs, but it is important to make sure the essay is relevant to each program and meets their specific requirements. It is also important to avoid any plagiarism by properly citing any sources used in your essay.

4. Is there a deadline for submitting the essay?

Yes, there is typically a deadline for submitting the essay for summer programs. Make sure to carefully review the application guidelines and note the deadline for essay submissions. It is important to submit your essay before the deadline to ensure it is considered for the program.

5. Will my essay be the only factor considered for acceptance into the summer program?

No, your essay is not the only factor considered for acceptance into a summer program. Most programs will also consider your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and any other required materials. Your essay is an important component of your application, but it is not the only factor that will be evaluated.