Subgroup conjugation and cosets

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that gHg^(-1) is a subset of H, given the condition that Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH. The individual has attempted to use the equation H = Hgg^(-1) = gg^(-1)H to find a solution, but is unsure how to proceed. With the help of another individual, they are able to use this condition to show that ab\notinH iff ba\notinH, and then use this to prove that gHg^(-1) is a subset of H. The individual also asks for an explanation of the thought process behind this solution.
ttm7nana
Hello, I am having trouble with the following problem.

Suppose that H is a subgroup of G such that whenever Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH. Prove that gHg^(-1) is a subset of H.

I have tried to manipulate the following equation for some ideas

H = Hgg^(-1) = gg^(-1)H

but I don't know how to go from here. I can't figure out how I can use the conditions to show that every element in gHg^(-1) is also in H.
I also know that gHg^(-1) is a subgroup of G, but I don't know if this fact can be used here.
It well be great if someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it this way. Can you use "Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH" to show that [itex]ab \not \in H[/itex] iff [itex]ba \not \in H[/itex]? Apply that to ghg^(-1) where h is an element of H. Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your help and the welcome!
I think I've got it. Can you check my work?

Let ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H. From this we get Ha ≠Hb^(-1). Using Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH, aH ≠ b^(-1)H. This implies that ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H. And the other direction is the same procedure. Therefore ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H

Now assume for a sake of contradiction that gHg^(-1)is not a subset of H. Then we get ghg^(-1)[itex]\notin[/itex]H for some h[itex]\in[/itex]H. Then from ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H, we get g^(-1)gh=h[itex]\notin[/itex]H. Which is a contradiction because h[itex]\in[/itex]H. Therefore gHg^(-1)[itex]\subset[/itex]H.

I'm not very confident about the first half of the proof.

ttm7nana said:
Hi, thanks for your help and the welcome!
I think I've got it. Can you check my work?

Let ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H. From this we get Ha ≠Hb^(-1). Using Ha≠Hb then aH≠bH, aH ≠ b^(-1)H. This implies that ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H. And the other direction is the same procedure. Therefore ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H

Now assume for a sake of contradiction that gHg^(-1)is not a subset of H. Then we get ghg^(-1)[itex]\notin[/itex]H for some h[itex]\in[/itex]H. Then from ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H, we get g^(-1)gh=h[itex]\notin[/itex]H. Which is a contradiction because h[itex]\in[/itex]H. Therefore gHg^(-1)[itex]\subset[/itex]H.

I'm not very confident about the first half of the proof.

I think you've got it. The justification for the first part is that if [itex]c \notin H[/itex] iff [itex]cH \neq H[/itex]. You might want to explicitly mention that.

Okay, thank you very much!

If I may ask, what was your thought process in first showing ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H? I would have never thought of that step on my own.

ttm7nana said:
Okay, thank you very much!

If I may ask, what was your thought process in first showing ab[itex]\notin[/itex]H iff ba[itex]\notin[/itex]H? I would have never thought of that step on my own.

Sure. If you skip to the end the question is whether ghg^(-1) is 'in H or not'. So then I looked at Ha≠Hb and tried to figure out what that was telling me about something being 'in H or not'. And, of course, it's telling you ab^(-1) 'is not in H'. aH≠bH says b^(-1)a is not in H. So that looks like it's telling me if the product of two elements is not in H, then I can commute them and it's still not in H. Etc.

Okay, that makes sense.
Thank you again for your help!

Related to Subgroup conjugation and cosets

1. What is subgroup conjugation?

Subgroup conjugation is a mathematical operation applied to a subgroup of a larger group. It involves transforming the elements of the subgroup by multiplying them by an element from the larger group and then taking the inverse of the resulting product. This operation preserves the structure and properties of the subgroup.

2. What is the significance of subgroup conjugation?

Subgroup conjugation is important because it allows us to study certain properties of a subgroup by looking at its relationship to the larger group. It also helps us classify groups and understand their structures.

3. How do you determine the cosets of a subgroup?

To determine the cosets of a subgroup, we first choose an element from the larger group that is not in the subgroup. Then, we multiply this element with every element of the subgroup. The resulting products will form the cosets of the subgroup.

4. What is the order of a coset?

The order of a coset is the number of elements it contains. This can be calculated by taking the order of the subgroup and dividing it by the order of the element used to form the coset. For example, if the subgroup has 6 elements and the element used has an order of 2, then the resulting coset will have an order of 3.

5. How are cosets related to subgroup conjugation?

Cosets are related to subgroup conjugation because they are formed by the application of subgroup conjugation on a single element from the larger group. Each coset represents a set of elements that are transformed in a similar way by subgroup conjugation, providing insight into the structure and properties of the subgroup.