Style of learning course material

In summary, the conversation is discussing different methods of reading and absorbing information from a book. The participants mention reading slowly with full concentration, skimming, and making notes. They also mention the importance of reviewing the material multiple times and using other resources, such as other books. They conclude that everyone learns differently and it is important to find a method that works for oneself.
hasan_researc
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys read from a book. Let me be clearer.

When reading a paragraph in a book, do you read very slowly with full concentration until you understand every fact in that segment and make relevant notes, or do you read the material a few times, understand all (or most) of it, don't re-read it to look for any items you might have missed and move on?

I mean are you very careful when absorbing new material or do you treat the process reluctantly in the belief that if you have missed any information then that does not really matter as you will know the key stuff anyway from your future studies of the topic.

Please reply!

Physics news on Phys.org
Often, you don't understand everything the first time. You might have to read it again or look at other books.

I'd say that it isn't optimal to do each sentence in order, since then you are just following the constructed path of the book. It is better to do it your own way and to do that you need to get some perspective on the material, skimming is great for that. Everyone learns differently.

Klockan3 said:
I'd say that it isn't optimal to do each sentence in order, since then you are just following the constructed path of the book. It is better to do it your own way and to do that you need to get some perspective on the material, skimming is great for that. Everyone learns differently.

graphene said:
Often, you don't understand everything the first time. You might have to read it again or look at other books.

I understand that I do have to look at other books as well sometimes, but what I mean is whether you would, after understanding the material pretty well, still read the material a couple of times again, in case you have missed out an important point or would you leave that to chance.

I can't honestly say that I have ever read any section of any textbook in its entirety. I scan pages for theorems, definitions, propositions, and I make note of those things. I then memorize my notes and do questions.

And does that give you the exam results you want?

It works for me...

Related to Style of learning course material

What is the best style of learning for course material?

The best style of learning for course material varies from person to person. Some people may find visual aids and demonstrations helpful, while others may prefer reading and taking notes. It is important to experiment with different styles to find what works best for you.

How can I improve my style of learning for course material?

One way to improve your style of learning for course material is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, asking questions, and participating in class discussions. It is also helpful to review the material regularly and make connections to real-life examples.

What are the different styles of learning for course material?

There are various styles of learning for course material, including visual, auditory, and kinesthetic. Visual learners prefer to see information in the form of charts, diagrams, and videos. Auditory learners learn best through listening and discussing the material. Kinesthetic learners prefer hands-on activities and may benefit from incorporating movement into their learning.

How can I determine my preferred style of learning for course material?

One way to determine your preferred style of learning for course material is to reflect on past learning experiences. Think about what methods have worked well for you in the past and try incorporating those into your current learning. You can also take online quizzes or assessments to identify your learning style.

Can my style of learning for course material change over time?

Yes, your style of learning for course material can change over time. It is important to regularly reassess your learning style and be open to trying new methods. As you gain new knowledge and skills, your preferred style of learning may also evolve.