STUDYING FOR TEST, need a tutortial

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of escape velocity and how to calculate it using the equation v=sqrt(2GM/R). The participants are also questioning the steps to arrive at this equation, specifically how the 1/2 and m values are eliminated.
ElectricMile
ok..haveing trouble understanding some examples in the book...

1) 1000kg rocket is fired striat up, need rocket to escape and never return. what speen does rocket need to escape from grav pull to never come back?(non rotating earth)

i know rocket can't stop so or it will be drawn back into earth. so...
K2+U2=K1+U1 is:
0+0=(1/2)m*v^2 - (GMm)/R)

whats with the 0+0?

then it goes to:
Vescape= v1 = SQRT(2GM/R)

howd they get to that equation??
i know the answers and stuff its in the book, i just don't know how they got to those equations

Physics news on Phys.org
For escape velocity, you only need enough speed so that you escape the gravitational potential of the object. Therefore, any kinetic energy at infinity would be wasteful. So K2 = 0. U2 = 0 because the gravitational potential falls off like 1/r which goes to zero at infinity.

So we have (1/2)m*v^2 = GmM/R

so v^2 = 2GM/R

v = sqrt(2GM/R)

still not sure how you got rid of the 1/2...and did the m just cancel out on each side?

ElectricMile said:
still not sure how you got rid of the 1/2...and did the m just cancel out on each side?

(1/2)m*v^2 = GmM/R

1] Divide both sides by m

(1/2)*v^2 = GM/R

2] Times both sides by 2

v^2 = 2GM/R

3] Take the root

v = sqrt(2GM/R)

Related to STUDYING FOR TEST, need a tutortial

1. How can I effectively study for a test?

The most effective way to study for a test is to begin studying well in advance and to break up your studying into smaller, manageable chunks. You should also create a study schedule and stick to it, as well as actively engage with the material by taking notes, making flashcards, or practicing with study partners.

2. Do I need a tutor to help me study for a test?

The decision to hire a tutor is a personal one and depends on your individual needs and learning style. While some students may benefit from having a tutor, others may be able to effectively study on their own. It is important to assess your own strengths and weaknesses before deciding if a tutor is necessary.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying for a test?

Staying motivated while studying for a test can be challenging, but setting specific goals, rewarding yourself for reaching those goals, and reminding yourself of the importance of the test can help keep you motivated. It can also be helpful to take breaks, stay organized, and find a study method that works for you.

4. Is it better to study alone or with a group?

The answer to this question varies for each individual. Some students may benefit from studying alone as it allows them to focus and work at their own pace. Others may benefit from studying in a group as it allows for collaboration and discussing difficult concepts. It is important to find what works best for you.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for a test?

To effectively manage your time while studying for a test, it is important to prioritize your studying and create a schedule. You should also eliminate distractions and set specific goals for each study session. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing time management techniques, such as the Pomodoro method, can help improve your time management while studying.