Velocity of a rocket which never returns to earth

In summary, the problem is asking for the speed at which a rocket should be fired upward in order to never return to Earth, assuming only the Earth's gravitational attraction is present. The equations provided involve the mass, velocity, and altitude of the rocket at time t, but no formula for escape velocity. Further research on escape velocity is suggested, and it is noted that the provided equations may not be sufficient for solving this problem.
process91

Homework Statement

With what speed should a rocket be fired upward so that it never returns to earth? (Neglect all forces except the Earth's gravitational attraction)

Homework Equations

The ONLY thing gone over so far involving rockets is the following formula:
Let the altitude of the rocket at time t be r(t), the mass be m(t) and the velocity of the exhaust matter, relative to the rocket be c(t). Then
[itex]m(t)r''(t)=-m'(t)c(t)-m(t)g[/itex]

This is in a section focusing on differential equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for r'':
[itex]r''(t) = - \frac{m'(t)}{m(t)} c(t) - g[/itex]

And now I don't really know where to go. I can't operate directly on this without making some assumptions about m and c, and based on the problems that we have worked on so far the procedure was similar to this:

Assume c(t) is constant, so c(t)=-c.

Let w be the initial weight of the rocket and fuel. Let k be the rate at which fuel is consumed. Then
[itex]m(t)=\frac{w-kt}{g}[/itex] and [itex]m'(t) = -\frac{k}{g}[/itex].

Now we have
[itex]r''(t)=\frac{kc}{w-kt}-g[/itex]

Integrating and using the initial condition r'(0)=0:
[itex]r'(t)=-c\ln(\frac{w-kt}{w})-gt[/itex]

Integrating again and using the initial condition r(0)=0:
[itex]r(t)=\frac{c(w-kt)}{w}ln(\frac{w-kt}{w})-\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ct[/itex]

It seems to me that, for this question, this model will not work. No matter what, gravity will pull back down. I really think I need to use a formula for gravity dependent on r(t) in order for this to work. Incidentally, the answer in the book is 6.96 mi/sec.

Physics news on Phys.org
process91 said:

Homework Statement

With what speed should a rocket be fired upward so that it never returns to earth? (Neglect all forces except the Earth's gravitational attraction)

Homework Equations

The ONLY thing gone over so far involving rockets is the following formula:
Let the altitude of the rocket at time t be r(t), the mass be m(t) and the velocity of the exhaust matter, relative to the rocket be c(t). Then
[itex]m(t)r''(t)=-m'(t)c(t)-m(t)g[/itex]

This is in a section focusing on differential equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for r'':
[itex]r''(t) = - \frac{m'(t)}{m(t)} c(t) - g[/itex]

And now I don't really know where to go. I can't operate directly on this without making some assumptions about m and c, and based on the problems that we have worked on so far the procedure was similar to this:

Assume c(t) is constant, so c(t)=-c.

Let w be the initial weight of the rocket and fuel. Let k be the rate at which fuel is consumed. Then
[itex]m(t)=\frac{w-kt}{g}[/itex] and [itex]m'(t) = -\frac{k}{g}[/itex].

Now we have
[itex]r''(t)=\frac{kc}{w-kt}-g[/itex]

Integrating and using the initial condition r'(0)=0:
[itex]r'(t)=-c\ln(\frac{w-kt}{w})-gt[/itex]

Integrating again and using the initial condition r(0)=0:
[itex]r(t)=\frac{c(w-kt)}{w}ln(\frac{w-kt}{w})-\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ct[/itex]

It seems to me that, for this question, this model will not work. No matter what, gravity will pull back down. I really think I need to use a formula for gravity dependent on r(t) in order for this to work. Incidentally, the answer in the book is 6.96 mi/sec.

Try searching the topic "escape velocity" and see what you find. You could even look up escape velocity in the Index of your textbook.

I did some reading on escape velocity, and it does seem that is what I need. Just to be clear - this cannot be calculated from the equations I presented, correct?

This question doesn't make sense. It matters how long the thrusters are on. If the engine can provide 1m/s velocity forever then the rocket will never return.

Yes, I agree, the question has some ambiguity. This question is in a very well respected calculus book, Apostol's Calculus Vol I. Since the answer is equal to the escape velocity for earth, I assume some outside knowledge is required (literally the only equations talking about rockets in the book are the ones I presented).

process91 said:
I did some reading on escape velocity, and it does seem that is what I need. Just to be clear - this cannot be calculated from the equations I presented, correct?

I don't think so.

Note: when they did the Moon trips in 1969,70, etc, they went very close to giving the craft escape velocity, which is why they had to be aimed carefully so the moon itself would swing them round and send them back to the Earth of anything went wrong - like with Apollo 13.

Related to Velocity of a rocket which never returns to earth

1. What is the velocity of a rocket that never returns to Earth?

The velocity of a rocket that never returns to Earth is dependent on several factors, including the type of rocket, the amount of fuel, and the force of gravity. However, it is generally accepted that the velocity needed to completely escape Earth's gravitational pull is approximately 11.2 kilometers per second (6.96 miles per second).

2. How is the velocity of a rocket calculated?

The velocity of a rocket can be calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the rocket, the mass of the fuel, and the exhaust velocity. This equation is used to determine the change in velocity (delta-v) of a rocket, which is the difference between its initial and final velocities.

3. Can the velocity of a rocket change during flight?

Yes, the velocity of a rocket can change during flight as it expels fuel and encounters different levels of gravity. The rocket's engines can also be adjusted to increase or decrease its velocity.

4. What is the significance of a rocket's velocity in space travel?

The velocity of a rocket is crucial in space travel as it determines the rocket's ability to escape Earth's gravitational pull and reach its destination. A higher velocity allows a rocket to cover more distance in a shorter amount of time, making it possible to explore further regions of space.

5. Can a rocket's velocity be increased after it has launched?

Yes, a rocket's velocity can be increased after it has launched through the use of additional stages or boosters. However, once a rocket has completely escaped Earth's gravitational pull, its velocity can only be changed through external forces, such as gravitational pulls from other celestial bodies.