Studying for a level 1 physics test. Help with circular problem?

In summary, to determine the frequency of a stationary wheel with a torque of 12 Nm applied to it, you first need to find the moment of inertia of the wheel by using the formula I = 1/2mr^2. Then, using the relation between torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration, you can find the angular acceleration. The angular velocity of the wheel will increase linearly with time due to the constant torque. After 15 seconds, the angular velocity can be found and multiplied by 2pi to get the frequency.
cnfsdstudent
A stationary wheel ?(solid cylinder) of radius .3m and mass of 1.75 kg has a 12 Nm torque applied to it. Determine the frequency of the wheel after 15 seconds.

I = 1/2mr^2

Am I supposed to find "I" first? What is the best way to go about this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, find I, the moment of inertia of the cylinder. Then use the relation between torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration to get the angular acceleration. The angular velocity increases linearly with time under the effect of the constant torque. Find the value of the angular velocity 15 seconds after start. The angular velocity is 2pi times the frequency.

ehild

Thank you so much! I will let you know if I have anymore questions later on.

Related to Studying for a level 1 physics test. Help with circular problem?

1. What is the best way to study for a level 1 physics test?

The best way to study for a level 1 physics test is to start early and review the material consistently. Make sure to understand the basic concepts and practice solving problems. You can also try teaching the material to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.

2. How do I approach a circular problem in physics?

When solving a circular problem in physics, the first step is to identify the variables involved and draw a diagram. Then, use the appropriate equations and concepts, such as centripetal force or angular velocity, to solve for the unknown variable. It's also helpful to check your answer by using another method or plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What is the most common mistake students make when studying for a level 1 physics test?

The most common mistake students make when studying for a level 1 physics test is not practicing enough problems. It's important to not only understand the concepts, but also be able to apply them in various types of problems. It's also important to not rely solely on memorization, but to understand the underlying principles and how they apply to different scenarios.

4. How can I improve my understanding of circular motion in physics?

To improve your understanding of circular motion in physics, try visualizing the concepts and drawing diagrams to represent the problem. You can also watch videos or use interactive simulations to supplement your learning. Practicing problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also greatly improve your understanding.

5. What resources are available to help me study for a level 1 physics test?

There are many resources available to help you study for a level 1 physics test. Your textbook, class notes, and online lecture videos are great places to start. There are also many online practice problems and quizzes, as well as study guides and review books. Additionally, your teacher or a tutor can provide valuable insights and clarification on concepts you may struggle with.