Physics circular motion and gravity help please

In summary, the problem involves a solid homogeneous sphere of mass 4.80 kg rolling without slipping from the top of an incline of height 1.35 m at an angle of 25.7 degrees to the horizontal. The speed of the sphere's CM at the bottom of the incline and the rotational kinetic energy at the bottom of the incline must be calculated. The equations used are KE = 1/2mv^2, speed = total distance/delta(t), and KEr = 1/2(I)(w^2). The student is unsure of how to approach the problem and questions whether conservation of energy can be used. The formula used for conservation of energy is (1/2mv^2+
katiegerster
physics circular motion and gravity help please :(

Homework Statement

1. a) A solid homogeneous sphere of mass M = 4.80 kg is released from rest at the top of an incline of height H=1.35 m and rolls without slipping to the bottom. The ramp is at an angle of θ = 25.7o to the horizontal. Calculate the speed of the sphere's CM at the bottom of the incline.

b) Determine the rotational kinetic energy of the sphere at the bottom of the incline.

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2mv^2
speed= total distance/delta(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to go about solving this..

Physics news on Phys.org
What about rotational kinetic energy? Don't you have an equation for that?

oh KEr= 1/2(I)(w^2)

So the ball starts at some height and rolls down. Can you use conservation of total energy?

i wasnt sure if i could use that or not

What are the conditions for its applicability?

i don't know what you mean,
but if i could use the conservation of energy this is the formula i have
(1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2+mgh)i= (1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2+mgh)f

Let's put it this way: is there any reason you know of you cannot use this formula? If no, what prevents you from using it?

Related to Physics circular motion and gravity help please

1. What is circular motion in physics?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. This can occur when a force, such as gravity, continuously pulls or pushes an object towards a fixed point. In circular motion, the object's velocity and direction are constantly changing, but its distance from the fixed point remains constant.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that is required to keep an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle, continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity. Without this force, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent force that seems to push an object outwards from the center of the circle. In reality, centrifugal force is just the result of an object's inertia, or tendency to resist changes in motion.

4. How does gravity affect circular motion?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other. In circular motion, gravity acts as the centripetal force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. The strength of gravity can also affect the speed and radius of the object's circular motion.

5. What is the relationship between circular motion and angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating about a fixed point. It is directly related to circular motion, as the faster an object moves in a circular path, the greater its angular velocity will be. Similarly, a larger radius of circular motion will result in a lower angular velocity.