Studying a lot for math For hours?

• Studying
  • Thread starter CrossFit415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, to pass Trig class, it is important to practice solving problems for long hours and try to learn tricks and strategies along the way. Drawing problems can also help with understanding concepts. It is also important to understand the concepts rather than just relying on homework. Passion for math can be developed through finding connections to the real world and using different learning resources. Hard work and persistence are key to success in math.
CrossFit415
Alright, so I'm on a mission. I need to pass my Trig class bad.

So far I have scored low on two tests. There is a mid term and a final after those.

The professor collects HW and I can keep faith with that.

I'm wondering.. If I were to keep solving problems for long hours, everyday would I get better at Trig or math in general even? I really need this class to get into Calculus I. I don't want to keep retaking classes and waste time.. How can I be more passionate with math?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can't force yourself to be more passionate but yes, you can become a lot better by just doing a lot of problems. Do the problems, try to pick up some tricks along the way, try to sniff out some particular strategies, etc.

Practice makes perfect.

After a lot of experience tutoring students in your position, I often find that students better understand the concepts of trigonometry by drawing the problem they're trying to solve. The human mind is able to more naturally see connections when aided with visuals!

Perfect practice makes perfect!

When I first took trig, I left the class with a D. The professor collected the homework, and I felt that I was going to do fine on the tests by just doing the homework.
I retook the class, and I learned that I needed to understand the concepts rather than just relying on the homework. After that, I passed with an A

Hi CrossFit, I think everyone gave good advice and lots of practice really does help :) For me trig came alive when we did application problems (like solving problems between a satellite and the Earth, etc.); it helped me to understand things as they relate to the real world. As qqkitty said, drawing is really important to understand everything spatially, and it will help you in the future when you have analytic geometry. Try your best to learn the ins and outs of those six trig functions. Knowing and understanding (proof) the identities will also be a great help in Calc I and beyond. Good luck with everything! For me, understanding was more important than doing in trig.

You should buy a copy of Polya's "How To Solve It". Problem solving is a skill like any other. It can be learned.

Can you get really passionate about trig? Should you expect to? It's an interesting subject that can keep the mind occupied for hours, like crossword puzzles or Space Invaders - isn't that enough?

Also, it's useful, as you know, for Calculus and therefore for (eventually) getting you to the frontiers of physics. And it could (eventually) get you $100 000+ working for Two Quarks if you get As in it and subsequent subjects.

Is that enough motivation to work and solve for long hours? Because you'll need to.

Try books with a different style to keep the interest going, for learning with a touch of humour try:

Trigonometry for Dummies (+ Workbook...)

History:

Trigonometric Delights by Eli Maor

And last but not least:

Schaum's Outline of Trigonometry (618 fully solved problems - try to do 'em all before reading the answers! Keep an account of the ones where you had to read the answers - then go back and do those repeatedly until you can do them without looking at the answers. )

The Polya books is great! Certainly read that... for recreation...

Thank you for your responses. I feel as if my motivation of pursuing my engineering degree has increased. I also have bought the books you guys recommended me. Its been a struggle but I'll stay course in my journey to becoming an engineer. Thank you.

I took Calculus 1 last year and earned a B. I last took math in 2006 -- a college algebra course -- and I ultimately attained a degree in English. I am currently earning a B/B+ in Calc II, and I have to tell you, hard work and careful work through examples is the key. Anyone can do it! If your book isn't good enough, look online to the variety of resources: this forum, lamar.edu, MIT lectures, whatever works for you.

Yes do problems. I study for hours and hours. I don't care what other people have to or don't have to do, because I want to reach my goal and this is what is required of me.

Keep studying, do as many problems as you can. Make sure you have the answers to them, and keep doing it until you get the answer. Then do other problems, and then go back to that problem and keep doing it until you can get it right without looking at your notes. Then go BACK again after you have worked out other problems. Do this with all problems that give you trouble. It takes time, but the payment will be worth it ;)

Thanks a lot. Your stories are truly inspirational. Today I had spent at least 4 to 5 hours solving problems at my work place of course lol. I really appreciate it. I will eat, sleep and breath math. I know frustrations will vanish through persistence and I know hard work will add and translate to success.

CrossFit415 said:
Thanks a lot. Your stories are truly inspirational. Today I had spent at least 4 to 5 hours solving problems at my work place of course lol. I really appreciate it. I will eat, sleep and breath math. I know frustrations will vanish through persistence and I know hard work will add and translate to success.

Yes it will.. I was at a point around trig thinking this wasn't for me. I spend way too much time on it, and its still rather difficult. But I kept at it, and by the time calc 2 rolled around, I was more confident, I had worked with math more and more becoming more familair with it, and gained more study skills (small details) which made my 'math career' that much easier, even though I was learning new material. You will feel awesome for the things you have learned and are able to do. Everything takes practice. You have the right attitude, keep up the good work :D

Related to Studying a lot for math For hours?

1. How many hours should I study for math?

The amount of time you should study for math varies depending on your learning style, the difficulty of the material, and your personal schedule. It is generally recommended to study for at least 2-3 hours per day, but you may need more or less time depending on your individual needs.

2. Is it better to study for math in one long session or multiple shorter sessions?

It is generally more effective to break up your studying into shorter sessions rather than one long session. This allows for better retention of information and prevents burnout. However, the best approach may vary for each individual, so it is important to experiment and find what works best for you.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying for math for hours?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but there are a few strategies you can try. Set specific goals for each study session, take breaks when needed, and find study methods that work for you. Also, remind yourself of the long-term benefits of studying, such as improving your math skills and achieving your academic goals.

4. What are some effective study techniques for math?

Some effective study techniques for math include practicing problems, explaining concepts to someone else, creating flashcards, and using mnemonic devices. It is also helpful to review past material and stay organized with notes and study materials.

5. How can I avoid burnout while studying for math for hours?

To avoid burnout, it is important to take breaks, stay hydrated, and get enough rest. It can also be helpful to switch up your study methods and take on different types of problems to keep your mind engaged. Additionally, make sure to prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed.