Student of physics with OCD

In summary, the conversation is about a third-year physics student seeking advice on how to continue their studies in QCD after finishing their fourth year. They are considering books such as "QFT in a Nutshell" and "Peskin" for their studies. They also mention other books they have, such as "Subatomic Physics," "Nuclear Physics," and "Gauge Field Theory," and ask for recommendations on those as well.
ziad1985
I need some help regarding some stuff.
I'm now a 3rd year student of physics, my Uni which is the most resp ectble and affordable in my country,which i was capable to go to.
The uni use the old french system of education , you choose what you want to study(math , physics ,...),and they have a one program for everyone,meaning no credit or anything , i have about ~25 course to take in last 3 years (first year we take the baiscs).
Anyway I still have a 4th year to do , my degree will be equivalent to Master1 (europen system),But it will be a degree in General physics.
I want after I finish my 4th year , to go to france to continue In QCD trough my Master2 and Phd degrees, I looked up what i should continue in my Master2 degree.
Now to come to the problem I found there is an educational gap for me between my 4th year and over there.
For example One of the course i'll be taking is QFT,well I studied Varaitional Mechanics and the Lagrangien and Hamiltonien formalism ,but we only took a introduction , I never studied Field theory.
If it's neccecary I will translate the material will be studied to english,I have to know what previous formalism will be need for me to be able to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
So are you asking what you need to know before you can study QCD ?

Well, that's "easy" : QFT

I recommend books like QFT in a Nutshell by A. Zee to start with.
Then Peskin, Weinberg, etc etc...

marlon

Good , i have another question if for example i was to continue my studies in subatomic physics will it be a good way to start from,Since i couldn't really find something more specific ?

BTW I was recommanded for Peskin , I have a feeling it will be a good book to get,And i was recommanded to get F.mandel QFT book.

I have 3 books called:
- Subatomic Physics By Hans Frauenfelder and Ernest M.Henly
- Nuclear Physics By Daniel Blanc (it's in french)
- Gauge Field Theory An Introduction By J.Leite Lopes
are they any good?

Last edited:

Related to Student of physics with OCD

What is OCD and how does it affect a student's life?

OCD, or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, is a mental health disorder characterized by recurring unwanted thoughts and repetitive behaviors. In a student's life, OCD can cause disruptions in daily routines and difficulties in completing tasks due to the need to repeat certain actions.

How does having OCD impact a student's ability to study physics?

OCD can significantly impact a student's ability to study physics. The constant need for perfection and the fear of making mistakes can lead to excessive time spent on studying and difficulty in focusing on the material. This can result in increased stress and anxiety, making it challenging to comprehend complex concepts.

Can a student with OCD still excel in physics?

Yes, a student with OCD can still excel in physics. While OCD may present challenges, it does not define a person's intelligence or capabilities. With proper support and coping strategies, a student with OCD can excel in physics just like any other student.

What are some tips for managing OCD while studying physics?

Some tips for managing OCD while studying physics include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation, seeking support from a therapist or support group, and being kind to oneself when facing challenges.

How can friends and professors support a student of physics with OCD?

Friends and professors can support a student of physics with OCD by educating themselves about the disorder, being patient and understanding, providing accommodations when needed, and offering emotional support and encouragement. It is also important to respect the student's boundaries and not pressure them into situations that may trigger their OCD.