Stuck on what appears to be simple ODE

• Thread starter Airsteve0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Stuck
In summary: Just realized I made a LaTeX error. Should bey={C}_{1}\exp \left(\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{2}\exp \left(\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{3}\exp \left(-\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{4}\exp \left(\frac{i-1}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)and you may want to use euler's formula to put in some trigonometric functions there.
Airsteve0
I am completely stuck on where to go with the following ODE:

(D^4 + 1)y = 0 where D=d/dx

I know that trying y=e^(rt) is the obvious solution, however, when you solve this you get r^2 = +-i. At this point I am unsure of what to do becuase if I take the square root of "i" I am unsure of how I will represent it in a general solution. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
An equation like r^4+1=0 means that there are 4 solutions. Instead of putting r^2=+/-i, you can look at r^2=e^(pi/2)*i or e^(3pi/2)*i. Taking the square root, you simply get r=+/-e^(pi/4)*i or +/-e^(3pi/4)*i.

The trick is to put it in the phase explicitly, so that you have an answer.

(D^4 + 1)=(D^2+sqrt(2)D+1)(D^2-sqrt(2)D+1)
=(D^2+i)(D^2-i)=(D-√ i)(D+√ i)(D-√- i)(D+√- i)
So write a solution in terms of complex exponentials or products of exponentials and trigonometric functions like (e^r x)cos(a x) according to preference.

Airsteve0 said:
I am completely stuck on where to go with the following ODE:

(D^4 + 1)y = 0 where D=d/dx

I know that trying y=e^(rt) is the obvious solution, however, when you solve this you get r^2 = +-i. At this point I am unsure of what to do becuase if I take the square root of "i" I am unsure of how I will represent it in a general solution. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

[tex]\frac{{\mbox{d}}^{4}y}{{\mbox{d}}^{4}x}+y=0[/tex]

[tex]y={e}^{rx}[/tex]

[tex]{r}^{4}+1=0[/tex]

[tex]{r}^{2}=\pm i [/tex]

[tex] r=\pm\frac{1\pm i}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]y={C}_{1}\exp \left(\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)+{C}_{2}\exp \left(\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)+{C}_{3}\exp \left(-\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)+{C}_{4}\exp \left(\frac{i-1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

We can solve for the specific solution for y if and only if we know y(0), y'(0), y''(0), y'''(0) and y''''(0)

thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate the help!

Airsteve0 said:
thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate the help!

Just realized I made a LaTeX error. Should be

[tex]y={C}_{1}\exp \left(\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{2}\exp \left(\frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{3}\exp \left(-\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)+{C}_{4}\exp \left(\frac{i-1}{\sqrt{2}}x\right)[/tex]

and you may want to use euler's formula to put in some trigonometric functions there.

Related to Stuck on what appears to be simple ODE

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of continuously changing systems.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

There are various methods for solving ODEs, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using numerical techniques. The method used depends on the type of ODE and its complexity.

3. What is meant by "stuck" on an ODE?

Being "stuck" on an ODE means that one is facing difficulties in solving it or understanding its solution. This can happen due to the complexity of the equation or lack of knowledge about the appropriate solving techniques.

4. How can I improve my understanding of ODEs?

To improve your understanding of ODEs, it is important to have a solid foundation in calculus and differential equations. You can also practice solving different types of ODEs and seek assistance from textbooks, online resources, or a mentor.

5. Are ODEs used in real-world applications?

Yes, ODEs are used extensively in various fields of science, engineering, and economics to model and predict the behavior of systems. They are particularly useful in studying physical phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and population dynamics.