Stress calculations on a disk plate

In summary, the calculation to determine the force at which a disk plate will fail involves analyzing the proportions and dimensions of the disk and using the bending stress equation to find the allowable pressure and force. However, the specific formula may vary depending on the material and proportions of the disk.
bellshom
Hello,

I am trying to determine the calculation to use to determine the force at which a disk plate will fail for the following set up.

The disk is slid onto a metal bung for a roll, the disk is supported from the inside diameter for around 50mm. A force is then applied on the oppsite side of the support uniformly to the entire face of the disk. Please see image below for clarity. The blue part is the disk and the red is the bung.

Plate.bmp

Just wondering what equation I should be using to determine the force to which the disk will fail assuming I know the properties of the disk.

Any help would be much appreciated, I hope the explanation is in enough detail. I did attempt the problem by treating a section of the disk as a rectangle and analysing that way. Not sure if it was the right way to go about it, I used the bending stress equation to work out the force needed to fail the material.

For some reason the attachment won't upload, I did create the same thread in another part of the forum but thought I would find more answers here. The link to the other thread is https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=560325

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bellshom: The stress depends on the proportions of the parts, which depend on the dimensions. Therefore, I cannot give you a specific formula, because coefficients are all different for different proportions in plate analysis.

If we assume your disk is mild steel, with a yield factor of safety of 1.50, and if we assume your diagram is to scale, then we currently have the following.

Sb = disk allowable bending stress = 167 MPa
d1 = disk inside diameter = 50 mm
d2 = disk outside diameter = 186 mm
t = disk thickness = 10 mm​

The bending stress on the disk is sigma = Sb = 167 MPa. Therefore, the disk uniformly-distributed allowable pressure is currently p = 0.4490 MPa. Hence, the allowable applied force on the disk (pressure times disk area) is F = p*A = p*(0.25*pi)(d2^2 - d1^2) = 0.4490(0.25*pi)(186^2 - 50^2) = 11 320 N.

Related to Stress calculations on a disk plate

What is the purpose of stress calculations on a disk plate?

The purpose of stress calculations on a disk plate is to determine the amount and distribution of stress that the plate will experience under different conditions, such as varying loads and temperatures. This information is crucial for designing and engineering effective and safe disk plates.

How are stress calculations on a disk plate performed?

Stress calculations on a disk plate are typically performed using mathematical equations and formulas that take into account factors such as material properties, geometry and loading conditions. There are also computer software programs available that can assist in performing these calculations.

What are the key factors that affect stress calculations on a disk plate?

The key factors that affect stress calculations on a disk plate include the material properties of the plate, such as its strength and elasticity, the plate's geometry and dimensions, and the type and magnitude of the load or pressure applied to the plate. Other factors that may also play a role include temperature, corrosion, and any pre-existing defects or damage to the plate.

How are stress calculations on a disk plate used in real-world applications?

Stress calculations on a disk plate are used in a variety of real-world applications, including in the design and construction of structures and machines that use disk plates, such as pressure vessels, storage tanks, and rotating machinery. These calculations help to ensure that the disk plates can withstand the expected loads and environmental conditions without failing or causing damage.

What are the limitations of stress calculations on a disk plate?

While stress calculations on a disk plate can provide valuable information for design and engineering purposes, they do have some limitations. These calculations are based on idealized assumptions and may not fully capture the complexity and variability of real-world conditions. Additionally, they may not account for all potential failure modes or unforeseen circumstances. Therefore, it is important to use these calculations as a guideline and to also incorporate other factors, such as safety margins and real-world testing, in the design process.