51 How far will the car travel in 10 sec

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Travel
In summary, using the given information of a car with an initial velocity of 0 meters per second and an acceleration of 2 meters per second per second, we can calculate that the car will travel a distance of 100 meters in 10 seconds. This is found by using the formula $d_f=d_i+v_i\Delta t+\frac{1}{2} a\Delta t^2$. Additionally, we can also use the formulas $v=\int a\,dt=at+C_1$ and $x=\frac{1}{2}at^2+C_2$ to calculate the distance traveled.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
How far will the car travel in $10$ seconds"
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
\Delta t&=10,\quad a=2,\quad d_i=0,,\quad v_i=0\\
d_f&=d_i+v_i\Delta t+\frac{1}{2} a \Delta t^2=0+0\cdot 10+\frac{1}{2} \cdot 2\cdot 10^2=100 \, m
\end{align*}

or $\displaystyle v=\int{ a\,\mathrm{d}t}=a\,t+C_1 =a\,t$
since the car starts from rest... $\displaystyle x=\int{ v\, dt=\int{ a\,t \,dt} = \dfrac{1}{2}\,a\,t^2 + C_2 $
where $ \, C_2 = 0 \displaystyle x=\frac{1}{2}\cdot 2\cdot 10^2+C_2= 100+0=100 \, m$

ok i am sure there are some typos
but isn't this more complicated than it need to be
I was just looking at some examples and took stabs at it
Mahalo Much

also I not asked for but wanted to try a tikz graph of this if it is correct

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not clear what your purpose is in posting this. It is true that if a vehicle is moving with acceleration a meters per second per second, with initial velocity $v_i$ meters per second then in t seconds it will have reached velocity $\int a dt= at+ v_1$ meters per second and will have moved distance $\int at+ v_1 dt= \frac{a}{2}t^2+ v_1t$.

Integrating acceleration with respect to time, twice, gives the formula you use first. Then, of course, doing the integrations gives the same thing.

not sure looks like 10 years ago
but I am still weak on physics stuff

Related to 51 How far will the car travel in 10 sec

1. How is the distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds calculated?

The distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds can be calculated by multiplying the car's velocity (in meters per second) by the time (in seconds). This equation is represented as: distance = velocity x time. So, if the car's velocity is 10 m/s, the distance traveled in 10 seconds would be 100 meters.

2. What factors can affect the distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds?

The distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds can be affected by several factors, such as the car's initial velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting on the car. Other factors like the road conditions, air resistance, and the weight of the car can also impact the distance traveled.

3. Can the distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds be different on different surfaces?

Yes, the distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds can vary depending on the surface it is traveling on. For example, a car may travel a shorter distance on a rough and bumpy road compared to a smooth and flat surface. This is because the friction between the car's tires and the surface affects its velocity and, therefore, the distance traveled.

4. How can the distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds be measured?

The distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds can be measured using various methods, such as using a stopwatch and measuring the distance manually, using a speedometer and multiplying the car's velocity by 10 seconds, or using advanced technologies like radar guns or GPS systems.

5. Is the distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds always the same?

No, the distance traveled by a car in 10 seconds is not always the same. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier, as well as the driver's actions, such as braking or accelerating. Additionally, if the car is traveling on a curved path, the distance traveled may also differ from a straight path due to the change in direction.