Stirling engine survey for high school engineering class

In summary, the conversation is about building a CNC machined stirling engine for a high school engineering class. The person needs help deciding on the design and asks for people to fill out a survey. The survey includes questions about the base material, flywheel design, purpose, heat source, metal type, type of stirling engine, and size. The person also welcomes comments, suggestions, and questions about the design and building process.
TyChi
I am making a CNC machined stirling engine for high school my engineering class. Before I can get started I need people to fill out this survey to help me decide which design to go with. Thanks!

Stirling Info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN71k...eature=related

Stirling Survey

1. What should the base of the stirling engine be made of?

A. Maple B. Oak C. Cherry

2. What design should the flywheel have?

A. Solid B. Decorative C. Strait spoke style

3. What should its purpose be?

A. Desktop model B. Generator C. Fan

4. What should the heat source be?

A. Sun B. Candle C. Gas

5. What type of metal should the majority of it be made of?

A. Brass B. Aluminum C. Steel

6. What type of stirling engine should be made?

A. Alpha B. Beta C. Rhombic Drive

7. How much space should it occupy?

A. Larger than a shoebox B. Smaller than a shoebox

8. Do you have any comments, suggestions, questions about designing and building the engine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. What should the base of the stirling engine be made of?
C. Cherry (It looks better, in my opinion.)

2. What design should the flywheel have?
A. Solid (Easier to machine, less vibration, more energy storage.)

3. What should its purpose be?
B. Generator

4. What should the heat source be?
B. Candle (I think this would be easiest)

5. What type of metal should the majority of it be made of?
A. Brass (Less friction)

6. What type of stirling engine should be made?
A. Alpha (Classic)

7. How much space should it occupy?
B. Smaller than a shoebox

Thanks!

1. What is a Stirling engine?

A Stirling engine is a heat engine that operates by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas at different temperature levels. It is a closed-cycle system, meaning that the working fluid is contained within the system and is continuously reused.

2. How does a Stirling engine work?

A Stirling engine works by using a temperature difference to create mechanical work. This is achieved through the heating and cooling of a sealed working fluid, typically air or helium, which causes it to expand and contract and move a piston. The movement of the piston is then converted into rotational movement, which can be used to power a generator or other device.

3. What are the advantages of a Stirling engine?

There are several advantages of a Stirling engine, including its high efficiency, low emissions, and quiet operation. It also has the ability to use a variety of heat sources, such as solar, biomass, or waste heat, making it a versatile and sustainable option for power generation.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Stirling engine?

One limitation of a Stirling engine is its relatively low power density, meaning that it is not ideal for applications that require high power output. It also has a slower startup time compared to other heat engines, which may make it less suitable for certain applications.

5. How can a Stirling engine be used in a high school engineering class?

A Stirling engine can be used in a high school engineering class as a hands-on project to teach principles of thermodynamics, heat transfer, and mechanical work. Students can build their own Stirling engines using simple materials and explore different design variations to understand how they work and improve their efficiency.