Stiffness Matrix for Linear Tetrahedral Element

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with their finite element code for linear elasticity analysis using linear tetrahedral elements. They have experience with other element types but are struggling with getting correct results with tetrahedrons. They are looking for a valid stiffness matrix of a single tetrahedron for comparison. Another person suggests an example on page 17 of a document and mentions that linear tetrahedrons may not be the best element for continuum mechanics. The first person has been spending several days on the problem and is surprised by the significant difference in results when dividing each element into five tetrahedrons. They also mention not seeing much difference between triangular and quad elements in 2D. The second person explains why
Hassan2
Dear all,

I am writing my finite element code for linear elasticity analysis with linear tetrahedral elements. I am not new to the finite element method and my code already works well with element types of triangles, quadrangles in 2D and hexahedrons in 3D but I don't get the correct result with tetrahedrons. I doubt the calculation of the element stiffness matrix and need a valid stiffness matrix of a single tetrahedron for comparison. Does anyone has hands on such software ?

Attachment contains the stiffness matrix and its eigenvalues from my code for a unit tetrahedron whose base are at (1,0,0), (0,1,0), and (0,0,1) and whose apex at (0,0,0), with Young's modulus of 200 MPa and Poisson's ratio of 0.3.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Hassan

Attachments

• tetrahedron.png
    tetrahedron.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,965
Engineering news on Phys.org
This has an example on page 17: http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/CAS/courses.d/AFEM.d/AFEM.Ch09.d/AFEM.Ch09.pdf

Thank you very much AlephZero.

My code calculates the matrix correctly. When I run the code for a beam whose mesh is fine enough, the displacement vectors look fine but their magnitudes are scaled down with a factor usually between 1.0 and 2.0 and the factor depends on the mesh and loading. I don't think the error is due to element type.

Last edited:
A linear tetrahedron with exact integration is not a good element for continuum mechanics. You can probably find examples where the errors are much worse than 50%, if you search the literature. It is a better element for scalar field problems like heat transfer, especially for nonlinear problems where the gradient discontinuities between the elements may be physically realistic (e.g. they correspond to changes of state in the material).

On the other hand the quadratic (10 node) tetrahedron is very well behaved for structural analysis, if you want to use an automatic tetrahedral mesh generator.

That could be the reason. I have been spending several days on this problem. Before trying higher order tetrahedrons, I should explain that in 2D, I didn't find much difference between triangular and quad elements so I didn't expect much differences between tetrahedrons and beam elements too.

My test model is a cantilever beam with rectangular cross-section. The original mesh is constructed with beam elements and I believe the mesh is fine enough. By dividing each element into 5 tetrahedrons, I expect the results to be nearly the same but the difference is more than 50 %.

Hassan2 said:
I should explain that in 2D, I didn't find much difference between triangular and quad elements.
That seems rather surprising, unless you were lucky in your choice of test problems, or your linear quad element was formulated to avoid problems like shear locking etc.

By dividing each element into 5 tetrahedrons, I expect the results to be nearly the same but the difference is more than 50 %.

If you think how five constant-strain tetrahedra could approximate the strain variation in one linear brick element, (or in the actual cantilever beam) you might see why there is a big difference.

Related to Stiffness Matrix for Linear Tetrahedral Element

What is the stiffness matrix for a linear tetrahedral element?

The stiffness matrix for a linear tetrahedral element is a 6x6 matrix that relates the displacements at the nodes to the applied forces. It is used in finite element analysis to calculate the stiffness of a tetrahedral element.

How is the stiffness matrix calculated for a linear tetrahedral element?

The stiffness matrix is calculated by integrating the element stiffness matrix over the volume of the element. The element stiffness matrix is derived from the element's shape functions, material properties, and element geometry.

What are the advantages of using the stiffness matrix for a linear tetrahedral element?

The stiffness matrix allows for efficient and accurate calculations of displacements and stresses within a tetrahedral element. It also allows for the analysis of complex structures with irregular shapes and boundary conditions.

What are the limitations of the stiffness matrix for a linear tetrahedral element?

The stiffness matrix assumes linear behavior, which may not accurately represent the material properties in some cases. It also requires a significant amount of computational resources, making it more suitable for smaller structures.

How is the stiffness matrix used in finite element analysis?

The stiffness matrix is used to solve a system of equations, known as the finite element equations, which relate the nodal displacements to the applied forces. These equations are then solved to determine the displacements and stresses within the element.