Dynamic analysis using finite element method- Help needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the author's code for dynamic analysis of a mechanical structure and how the results vary with mesh size. The difference in frequencies between the analytical and code results is attributed to the mass matrix, and the possibility of shearlocking and hourglassing problems is mentioned. ANSYS is used as a comparison, with its results showing less dependence on mesh size. The potential reasons for this are discussed, including the use of higher order elements and keeping midside nodes on the elements. The author expresses uncertainty and curiosity about the methodology used in ANSYS.
Hassan2
Dear all,

I have written a code for dynamic analysis of a mechanical structure. My primary purpose is to find natural frequencies of the structure. When I test my code for a cantilever bar whose natural frequencies are known analytically, I found a big difference between the the first frequency obtained from my code and the analytical one . More importantly, the results depend on mesh size more than I expect. The difference is more for bars with lower thickness. I guess something is wrong with the stiffness matrix but I can't find problem.

Please see the attached figure to compare results for different mesh size. Is the difference due to discretization error?

Someone earlier advised me to do something to avoid shearlocking and hourgalssing. I haven't done anything about that. In the model seen in figure, could the error be because shearlocking and/or hourgalssing ?

Note: I have used lumped mass matrix which is diagonal. The diagonal elements are all equal to 1/8 of the element mass.

Thanks.

Attachments

• mesh.JPG
    mesh.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 559
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have found there to be a small dependence on modal frequencies with mesh density, but usually it depends on how well the mesh is capturing complex features or deformation patterns. In this case the mesh is easily capturing the geometry, so I ran a quick modal analysis in ANSYS for comparison. You don't mention the material you're analyzing, but I assume it's an alloy steel based on the modulus of elasticity and poisson's ratio (density of around 7.85 g/cc).

The modal results from ANSYS for the two mesh densities match within about .05%, but came in well off from your results (ANSYS got 112.34 Hz vs. your 287 Hz). The Roark's analytical formula gives 116.5 Hz, so ANSYS is definitely in the right ballpark, in fact it's within 3% of the analytical value which is a great result since the beam has what I would consider a "marginal" length/thickness ratio.

Looks like you'd better take another close look at your methodologies...

Attachments

• Modal Cantilever Coarse Mesh.jpg
    Modal Cantilever Coarse Mesh.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 529
  • Modal Cantilever Fine Mesh.jpg
    Modal Cantilever Fine Mesh.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 526
  • Roark's Calculation.jpg
    Roark's Calculation.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
There are some results for 8 node solid elements with and without shear locking here:
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a387700.pdf

For one element through the depth, the frequency error for the first bending mode reduced from about 70% to 1%.

Mech Engineer,

Thanks a lot for the help. Without your help I would have been clueless.It seems the problem was due to the mass matrix. After correcting the mass matrix I get results much closer to that of ANSYS. The frequencies now are:

The third frequency is quite different from ANSYS result though.

I guess the difference in higher modes are still due to mass matrix. I will try consistent mass matrix instead of the lumped one.AlephZero,

When the depth of several elements, shearlocking/hourglassing problems seem less significant. The difference in my frequencies could be due to those problems too. Of course for thin models, it may not be possible to discretize the thickness to several mesh, then the modified integration rules should be used.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The results are better now but still the frequencies depend on the mesh size more than ANSYS's results do. More over the results are about 1.03 times larger than those of ANSYS.

One thing, I think the difference between the ANSYS result and the analytical one is not due to error. The analytical formula has been derived for one dimensional degree of freedom, i.e the nodes are free to move in one dimension only. The analyzed problem is three-dimensional and could have different frequencies than the analytical one. Although my results are closer to the analytical one, I don't think they are more accurate than ANSYS's!

My code gives the following modal results for the first six modes of the model, with the two mesh densities as in the figures above:

a) coarse mesh: 117.45 , 217.98 , 520.28 , 660.55 , 998.40 , 1086.14

b) fine mesh[itex]\cdots[/itex]: 115.95 , 216.95 , 515.53 , 650.37 , 992.08 , 1085.06

Both mesh are fine enough to capture lower modal frequencies, I still can't figure out the cause of the errors. Perhaps ANSYS uses second or third order elements rather than first order.

Thanks again

The image shows the 8th bending mode for two different mesh densities. The frequency for the fine and coarse meshes are 2196.88 Hz and 2179.53 respectively. I wonder if such error (0.77% ) is natural ? The ANSYS results show much lower errors. I'm curious to know the methodology in ANSYS, if it's not a secret.

Attachments

• mode8th.jpg
    mode8th.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
ANSYS has an option to keep midside nodes on the elements, but I left it on "Automatic" so I'm not sure if it used them or not. Either way, I think you're splitting hairs as you seem to be getting good results out of your code.

Related to Dynamic analysis using finite element method- Help needed

1. What is dynamic analysis using finite element method?

Dynamic analysis using finite element method is a numerical technique used to analyze the behavior of a structure under dynamic loading conditions. It involves breaking down a complex structure into smaller, simpler elements and using mathematical equations to determine the response of each element to the applied loads. These responses are then combined to obtain an overall understanding of the structure's behavior.

2. How does the finite element method work?

The finite element method uses the principles of equilibrium and compatibility to approximate the behavior of a structure under various conditions. It divides the structure into a finite number of elements with known properties and equations, and then solves these equations to determine the response of each element. By combining the responses of all elements, an accurate representation of the overall structure's behavior can be obtained.

3. What are the advantages of using finite element method for dynamic analysis?

The finite element method offers several advantages for dynamic analysis, including the ability to accurately model complex structures, the ability to handle non-linear material behavior, and the ability to simulate a wide range of loading conditions. It also allows for the analysis of transient effects, such as impact and vibrations, which are important for understanding the dynamic behavior of a structure.

4. What are some common applications of dynamic analysis using finite element method?

Dynamic analysis using finite element method is commonly used in the design and analysis of structures in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering. It can be used to analyze the dynamic response of buildings, bridges, aircraft, and other structures under different loading conditions. It is also used in the development and testing of new products to ensure their structural integrity under dynamic loads.

5. How can I learn more about dynamic analysis using finite element method?

There are many resources available for learning more about dynamic analysis using finite element method. These include textbooks, online courses, and software packages that offer tutorials and examples. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects in the field of structural analysis. Consulting with experienced professionals and attending conferences and workshops can also provide valuable insights and knowledge about this topic.