Steps for Solving Differential Quotient Equations in Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to solving several equations, including y(x) = cos(x), y(x) = \sqrt{x}, y(x) = sin(x), and y(x) = x^{n}. The problem is approached by finding the derivative using the definition and a special limit, as well as using a trig identity.
Ryuk1990
I don't take a Calculus class(I'm learning on my own), but I'm just curious as to what are the steps to solving the following equations.

Homework Statement

These are the following problems that I'm having trouble solving.

y(x) = cos(x)

y(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]

y(x) = sin(x)

y(x) = x[tex]^{n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

For all of these, the limit of [tex]\Delta[/tex]X approaches 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is, I can't attempt it because it's different from other ones. I can do simpler things like y(x) = 9x^2 no problem. These are different though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryuk1990 said:
y(x) = cos(x)

I'm guessing that you are needing to find y'(x) in each case using the definition of the derivative, which is the limit of the difference quotient.

I'll help you with the first one, and maybe that will get you started. You need to know this special limit to do the first one:
[tex]\lim_{x\to0} \frac{1 - cos x}{x} = 0[/tex]
You also need the trig identity:
[tex]\cos(u+v) = \cos u\cos v - \sin u\sin v[/itex]

Then the derivative is:
[tex] y'(x) = \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\cos(x+h) - \cos x}{x} [/itex]
Now apply the above information to compute y'(x).

Related to Steps for Solving Differential Quotient Equations in Calculus

What is the definition of Differential Quotient?

The differential quotient, also known as the derivative, is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to another quantity. It is commonly used to analyze the slope of a curve at a specific point.

How is Differential Quotient calculated?

The differential quotient is calculated by finding the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. This can also be represented graphically as the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

What is the importance of Differential Quotient in mathematics?

The concept of differential quotient is fundamental to calculus and is used extensively in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions, rates of change, and optimization problems.

What are some real-world applications of Differential Quotient?

Differential Quotient has numerous real-world applications, including physics, economics, engineering, and finance. It is used to analyze motion, optimize production and pricing strategies, and calculate interest rates and risk management in financial markets.

What is the difference between Differential Quotient and Derivative?

The terms differential quotient and derivative are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between them. The differential quotient is the mathematical concept, while the derivative is the actual value of the differential quotient at a specific point on a curve. In other words, the derivative is a number, while the differential quotient is a mathematical expression or formula.