Stephen Hawking gives his take on the afterlife

In summary, Stephen Hawking believes that there is no God and that humans should therefore seek to live the most valuable lives they can while on Earth. He does not believe that science can prove an afterlife, but he does think that if there is one, it would be beyond our reach at this point.
Topher925
Stephen Hawking gives his take on the "afterlife"

Stephen Hawking recently gave his view on death and apparently people are shocked by the answer.

Renowned physicist Stephen Hawking recently explained his belief that there is no God and that humans should therefore seek to live the most valuable lives they can while on Earth.

There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110516/us_yblog_thelookout/stephen-hawking-says-afterlife-is-a-fairy-story

Since so many people believe that SH is one of the smartest people currently living, do think any evangelicals out there will convert to atheism?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Topher925 said:
Since so many people believe that SH is one of the smartest people currently living

But not smart enough to know what's in "afterlife".

It's his opinion and being smart is irrelevant in the formulation of that opinion.

I would also question the word "smartest". He is an amazing physicist but that does not make him "smartest people currently living".

rootX said:
But not smart enough to know what's in "afterlife".

It's his opinion and being smart is irrelevant in the formulation of that opinion.

You don't think his intellect was involved in forming that opinion? A cro-magnon's opinion carries the same weight as Stephen Hawkings?

I would also question the word "smartest". He is an amazing physicist but that does not make him "smartest people currently living".

Topher is merely saying he is perceived by the public as such because of his "genius celebrity" status.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You don't think his intellect was involved in forming that opinion? A cro-magnon's opinion carries the same weight as Stephen Hawkings?
A Cro-Magnon's opinion of the afterlife carries the same weight as Stephen Hawkings'.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You don't think his intellect was involved in forming that opinion?
No, I don't think he studies things like afterlife. This is a purely speculative subject.

A cro-magnon's opinion carries the same weight as Stephen Hawkings?
Yes. Hawking opinions pertaining to only his profession carry more weight but don't for anything else.

rootX said:
No, I don't think he studies things like afterlife. This is a purely speculative subject.
But I'd throw in with Hawking over the ramblings of a street talker on the subject.

Yes. Hawking opinions pertaining to only his profession carry more weight but don't for anything else.

mmmmm I don't know. I think his general intellect is vastly superior to the general public. Therefore his opinion would be weighted by me heavier than my own, in a topic I myself am not an expert in.

I don't think physics or any science can prove an afterlife. Sure physics does bring out many phenomenal explanations and ingredients for the mysteries of the world, but the afterlife is beyond our reach. It just doesn't seem possible to know from science. Everything else phenomenal that were proved using physics are in reach, but we were just not good enough to find the proof. The afterlife is out of our boundaries. We will never be sure what's outside our universe until we "experience" it.

Rayquesto said:
I don't think physics or any science can prove an afterlife.

Perhaps for now, but I think Hawking could come up with a better number of reasons supporting his view than I could come up with contrasting his view. So I throw in with Hawking generally.

I'm with Hawkings. It just makes sense to take responsibility for your own actions, be the best person you can be, and not count on another life/chance.

Greg Bernhardt said:
But I'd throw in with Hawking over the ramblings of a street talker on the subject.
mmmmm I don't know. I think his general intellect is vastly superior to the general public. Therefore his opinion would be weighted by me heavier than my own, in a topic I myself am not an expert in.

I would only use Hawking if I am discussing about subject where he is an expert partly because I don't go into that "celebrity status" things.

I agree with his opinions not for his credentials but because I share similar beliefs.

They would just go back to "Because his mind is corrupted by the devil everything he says is false"

Hawking. No 's'!

Rayquesto said:

Here's my proposal for an experiment where a positive result would prove an afterlife.

1. Right before my death, I encrypt a message using 256-bit encryption and a randomly chosen key. I publish this encrypted message, but only I know the key.

2. After I die, I visit a scientist and tell him the key. He could then publish the decrypted message to prove that I visited.

Of course, a null result wouldn't prove that the afterlife doesn't exist. That applies to all of science, however: if you fail to show that F=ma, that doesn't prove Newton wrong; it just means your experiment was flawed.

I'm with Evo. Hundreds of variations of "the afterlife" makes it clear to me which is the speculation here. An apt saying "for those who are afraid of the dark." When I realized how painless things were (to me) before I was born, I stopped worrying about what happens after I die.

Chi Meson said:
When I realized how painless things were (to me) before I was born, I stopped worrying about what happens after I die.

Except being nothing before you were born you can think that at least you WILL be born and have life. When you die, that is it, forever. I don't care what I was before I was born when I know I would be born. There is no second birth. That is reason to worry.

Topher925 said:
Since so many people believe that SH is one of the smartest people currently living, do think any evangelicals out there will convert to atheism?

Not in any statistically significant number. Religion in a problem of faith. HS, Dawkins, Susskind and other greats have not really ascendent in problems of faith. From the point of view of a faithful, their opinion weights less than the PoV of a Cromagnon IMO. Caertainly less than the opinion of a CroMagnon who is a beleiver is some kind of gods, demons, spirits or whatever else they believed in.

Last weekend I was in mountains, and there where some pretty educated persons with us, holding MS degrees. I dared to say to that creationism is not a scientific theory and can not be compared with evolutionism.That it means nothing but his belief which is irrelevant to me, lacking proof. One (engineering MS at a top school, successful business and so on) went rabid on me. Called me an animal. He went pretty berserk on scientists to rejects creationism too, not contesting their intelligence but their statute as human. I guess he would call someone like Hawking a little more evolved animal then myself. Well, it didnt really bothered me, after all I am just an ape. While he , of course , was the superior human being proud of his special space in creation. When I returned the favor and called him an ape he lost al blood from his cheeks. I guess I can add another one to the list of apes for which I ruined the rainbow :P Or at least smeared it.

So yeah, even engineers ? Even ppl holding MSs ? So desperate to think they are more special than animals, that their creation is special, has meaning.

I don't expect them to change. Cromaganon, myself , or Hawking no matter who speaks to them they just have some sort of short-circuit in their brains.

Last edited:

Rayquesto said:

Your remark reminded me of an article in Science Magazine. Here is a quote
from the article:

. . . Eugenie Scott, director of the National Center for Science Education in Oakland, California, which has campaigned successfully for the teaching of evolution in schools, objected to the "hijacking" of science for arguments about religion: for or against. "Nobody speaks for capital 'S' science, neither people of faith nor atheists," she said. "Science is religiously neutral. Whether you're religious or not, you use the same method and rationale in the way you do science, and if you don't, then you're stepping outside of science."
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/02/can-science-and-religion-get-along.html?ref=hp

I've had the honor of listening to a lecture by Stephen Hawking many years ago. He was charming. He has an incrediable smile. It is a very humbling experience to be in the presence of him. I am so extremely fortunate to be physically and mentally healthy. :smile:

Stephen thinks we are fluctuations in the universe. I'm not too sure if I would wish to be only a fluctuation though I do respect his take on it. :smile: I mean that I'm not willing to give up my work-outs at the gym nor my many interests outside of science though I am involved in science. Life is to be enjoyed to the fullest. I do my best to live up to what I consider the best for me. :smile:

ViewsofMars said:
Your remark reminded me of an article in Science Magazine. Here is a quote
from the article:

I've had the honor of listening to a lecture by Stephen Hawking many years ago. He was charming. He has an incrediable smile. It is a very humbling experience to be in the presence of him. I am so extremely fortunate to be physically and mentally healthy. :smile:

Stephen thinks we are fluctuations in the universe. I'm not too sure if I would wish to be only a fluctuation though I do respect his take on it. :smile: I mean that I'm not willing to give up my work-outs at the gym nor my many interests outside of science though I am involved in science. Life is to be enjoyed.
I loved quoted statements: "Science is religiously neutral"!

Last thing I would expect from Hawking is he becomes a "spiritual leader" and starts preaching people how everyone should start converting into atheism.

Media is full of nonsense and the article OP linked to is one of the best examples.

DanP said:
So yeah, even engineers ? Even ppl holding MSs ?

Engineers are usually god believers than physicists. There was an explanation by Richard Dawkins about 2 kinds of people. People who want to learn things just because of the curiosity, regardless of its application. Physicists come in this category. The other side is people who want to invent something based on the practical use (eg, say, the invention of Teflon). Engineers come in this category.

For people who care mostly the practicality, god concept is very convenient and useful, regardless of the lack of evidence or logic behind it.

My wife is religious and I'm an atheist.We both are engineers, both work in cryptology stuff. When someone discovered a more efficient algorithm for finding the primality of a number, I was way too excited. To me, it was an expansion of human logic, which is a big thing. But for my wife, - is it not that useful, no practical use, what's the big deal?.

rootX said:

While science is religiously neutral, I think is the duty of the scientific community to take a political stance on the outrageous claims that ID or creationism can constitute theories which must be presented as alternatives to evolution in education.

I can be certain the the clock is ticking on my life. Tick tick tick. Couple that with my rejection of supernatural, and it's a fantastic motivator to *live now*, or at least right after I wash my dishes :biggrin:.

I think Hawking is quite bold to make such a statement, as a public figure. I sense in some persons of faith a distrust of science, and by extension, scientists. I wonder if SH's statement will add to that distrust.

rootX said:

Last thing I would expect from Hawking is he becomes a "spiritual leader" and starts preaching people how everyone should start converting into atheism.

Media is full of nonsense and the article OP linked to is one of the best examples.

Your ignorance is astounding. The link I earlier provided is from the American Association for the Advancement of Science. It appears to me that you are disagreeing with Eugenie Scott's comment, "Nobody speaks for capital 'S' science, neither people of faith nor atheists," she said. "Science is religiously neutral. Whether you're religious or not, you use the same method and rationale in the way you do science, and if you don't, then you're stepping outside of science." If that is the case, all you are doing is creating controversy where non exists. And the only people that I am familiar with that wish to create controversy are Intelligent Design advocates. Not only are they sweeping across the U.S.A. at this time but have now marked there turf in the UK. Those people want to claim Intelligent Design is science when in truth it is creationism. And, I don't waste my time on people who knock down Eugenie Scott, Director of the National Center for Science Education.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenie_Scott )

Last edited:

ViewsofMars said:
. It appears to me that you are disagreeing with Eugenie Scott's comment, "Nobody speaks for capital 'S' science, neither people of faith nor atheists," she said. "Science is religiously neutral. Whether you're religious or not, you use the same method and rationale in the way you do science, and if you don't, then you're stepping outside of science."

Beautiful, but a tautological media stunt IMO. Let me explain. It is obviously true, and nobody gives a damn about it. But looks good in a speech.

It really angers me when I see media trash like this (article in OP) done only to stir people up.

He was asked what he thought by a reporter. It's not like he's on a mission trying to convert people.

Last edited:

ViewsofMars said:
And, I don't waste my time on people who knock down Eugenie Scott, Director of the National Center for Science Education.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenie_Scott )

? Who knocked her down ? I guess you jumped the gun a bit. No matter how great she is and what cool mission she has, that thing you quoted is a a media stunt.

She is directly involved in politics by trying to determine public policy regarding teaching evolutionism and keeping ID and creationism out. She can't really claim that "science is religiously neutral" in this case, else she would not go on a political quest to keep them out of schools. She argues against teaching religion using science. Bye bye neutrality.

And the second part, well, just a tautology.

DanP said:
? Who knocked her down ? I guess you jumped the gun a bit. No matter how great she is and what cool mission she has, that thing you quoted is a a media stunt.

She is directly involved in politics by trying to determine public policy regarding teaching evolutionism and keeping ID and creationism out. She can't really claim that "science is religiously neutral" in this case, else she would not go on a political quest to keep them out of schools. She argues against teaching religion using science. Bye bye neutrality.
Religion has nothing to do with science, to think it should be included in teaching science is utterly ridiculous. There are nuts that are afraid of science so they try to get their religion taught as a school subject, so unfortunately people have to take action to keep science...science.

ViewsofMars said:
Your ignorance is astounding. The link I earlier provided is from the American Association for the Advancement of Science. It appears to me that you are disagreeing with Eugenie Scott's comment

No, I referred to the OP article ("Media is full of nonsense and the article OP linked to is one of the best examples."). I don't think people like Hawking should be publicized for their personal opinions or for "evangelicals [conversion] to atheism" (read OP). Media can do better job than talking about what Hawking thinks about afterlife or what kind of shoes Katy Perry wears.

Does that have anything to do with Eugenie Scott? I don't think so.

Greg Bernhardt said:
... A cro-magnon's opinion carries the same weight as Stephen Hawkings?...

It seems that Cro-magnons are after life :rolleyes:

Anyway, http://human-nature.com/darwin/books/tattersall.html suggesting that they did believe in afterlife.

...but among the Cro-Magnons we see for the first time evidence of regular and elaborate burial, with hints of ritual and belief in an afterlife. The most striking example of Cro-Magnon burial comes from the 28-kyr-old site of Sungir, in Russia, where two young individuals and a sixty-year-old male (no previous kind of human had ever survived to such an age) were interred with an astonishing material richness. Each of the deceased was dressed in clothing onto which more than three thousand ivory beads had been sewn; and experiments have shown that each bead had taken an hour to make. They also wore carved pendants, bracelets, and shell necklaces...

Evo said:
Religion has nothing to do with science, to think it should be included in teaching science is utterly ridiculous. There are nuts that are afraid of science so they try to get their religion taught as a school subject, so unfortunately people have to take action to keep science...science.

Ok, I agree, but you simply can't claim neutrality in the moment you have a politic agenda, fight for changes in public policy in education and so on. Scott is not neutral, she fights against religion and religious belief. Her position makes science a political tool.

I agree with her position, but not with her public declarations. Media stunts.

Last edited:

I don't put much stock in the utterances of popes, religious or scientific.

I can't believe this thread is still open. Isn't talking about religion against forums rules?

Topher925 said:
I can't believe this thread is still open. Isn't talking about religion against forums rules?

So, let me get this right. **You** opened a thread which outlines a highly contentious position on *religion* (let's remember that an enormous percentage of the world's population is involved in some religious ritual of some sort), and now you complain that talking about religion is against forum rules and "you can't believe the thread is open" ? It's like entering a cathouse and then complain you wasn't offered a sermon on the virtues of abstinence.

Why did you opened it in the first place ?

how can anyone form an opinion either way? i think the energy and matter in my body will always exist, whether or not my consciousness goes on i don't know? if consiousness is like a medium for my awareness, then i wouldn't mind being born again. if i have to exist forever with my consciousness as it now sits i think i would prefer oblivion. there was a huge amount of time before the universe generated conditions for life. who is to say it can't make a place for our consciousness to exist "after life" or before for that matter?

i think the energy and matter in my body will always exist,

What energy in your body? Surely not kinetic energy. The chemical energy in your body will be mostly released in the months and years after you die. You'll be at or below ground level, so there's no gravitational potential energy.

I guess the rest mass energy will persist, as long as protons don't decay.

I guess I have no idea what you mean by this statement? Are you saying the obviously true statement that energy is conserved? Or are you trying to make some kind of point?