Statistics Problem - Venn Diagrams

In summary, 23% of the class intends to major in mechanical engineering or in electrical engineering, but shows no interest in advanced mathematics.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

The entering class in an engineering college has 34% who intend to major in mechanical engineering, 33% who indicate an interest in taking advanced math as part of their major field of study, and 28% who intend to major in electrical engineering, while 23% have other interests. In addition, 59% are known to major in mechanical engineering or take advanced mathematics. Assuming that a student can major in only one field, what percent of the class intends to major in mechanical engineering or in electrical engineering, but shows no interest in advanced mathematics?

Homework Equations

This is obviously a Venn diagram-esque problem, but the wording is extremely difficult to comprehend!

The Attempt at a Solution

I started drawing a three-circle Venn Diagram, attempting to add in the percentages in the correct areas. The 23% who have other plans lies outside the Venn diagram. However, it doesn't seem to make sense. Can anyone attempt to clarify this problem up for me as well as give me a helpful hint to push me in the right direction? I appreciate all help in advance! Thank you much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I don't like the wording either. Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I am interpreting the problem as:

If we let:

ME = {mechanical engineers}
AM = {advanced math people}
EE = {elec engineers}
O = {others}

Then I am interpreting the given information as

ME = .34
AM = .33
EE = .28
O = .23
EE = .28

I believe that ME and AM are not mutually exclusive (that is, belonging to one does not exclude you from belonging to the other).

We are also given:
(ME ⋃ AM) = .59

And we are asked to find:
((ME ⋃ EE) - AM)

That is how I would interpret it. Maybe someone else could confirm?

Yes, that is how I ended up working it out as well. How I ended up solving was sort of using a variation of the addition theorem:

= P(M or E) and (1 - P(M and A)*P(E and A)) = 0.62 * (1 - 0.59 * 0.51) = .4334

That seems like a reasonable answer to me. If you don't think this is the correct method, please let me know. Thanks again for the help!

Related to Statistics Problem - Venn Diagrams

1. What is a Venn diagram and how is it used in statistics?

A Venn diagram is a visual representation of data using circles or other shapes to show the relationship between different sets of data. It is commonly used in statistics to compare and contrast data sets, identify commonalities and differences, and analyze data in a visual and intuitive way.

2. How do you create a Venn diagram for a statistics problem?

To create a Venn diagram for a statistics problem, you first need to identify the different data sets or categories that you want to compare. Then, draw overlapping circles or shapes to represent each set, with the overlapping areas representing the common data points. Finally, label each circle or shape with the corresponding data set and fill in the diagram with the appropriate data.

3. What is the purpose of using a Venn diagram in statistics?

The purpose of using a Venn diagram in statistics is to visually illustrate the relationship between different data sets and help with data analysis. It allows for a quick and easy comparison of data sets and can help identify patterns and trends.

4. Can a Venn diagram be used to solve complex statistics problems?

Yes, a Venn diagram can be used to solve complex statistics problems. It can help break down and organize large amounts of data into smaller, more manageable sets, making it easier to analyze and draw conclusions. However, it is important to note that Venn diagrams should be used in conjunction with other statistical tools and methods for a more comprehensive analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using Venn diagrams in statistics?

While Venn diagrams can be a useful tool in statistics, they do have some limitations. They are best used for simple and straightforward data sets, and may not be suitable for complex data analysis. Additionally, Venn diagrams can only represent a limited number of data sets, so they may not be suitable for a large number of categories or data points.