Stationary States and Spreading of Wave Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the contradiction between the fact that in stationary states the time dependence is factored out, resulting in no wave function spread, and the universal phenomena of wave packet spread in quantum mechanics. It is explained that wave packets are not stationary states and that constructing a localized packet requires using different frequencies, resulting in uncertainty in momentum and causing packet spread. It is also noted that the uncertainty in position is infinite for the wave function discussed.
boderam
What I know: In stationary states the time dependence is factored out so it is of the form phi(q) * e^(-i omega t), thus in its appearance there is no wave function spread. However I recall from texts that wave packet spread is considered a universal phenomena in quantum mechanics, so I am looking to resolve this contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wave packets are not stationary states.

No. It's just that a packet consists of stationary states with different frequencies and wave vectors.

Note that how quickly packet is supposed to spread depends on uncertainty in momentum, which is zero for the wave function you wrote. That, of course, is compensated by infinite uncertainty in position. If you try to compute <q²>-<q>², the first integral will diverge.

To construct a localized packet, you have to use different frequencies, so expectation of momentum will have uncertainty to it, and that will cause packet spread, unless the packet happens to travel at the speed of light (m=0). But that's relativistic QM already.

K^2 said:
Note that how quickly packet is supposed to spread depends on uncertainty in momentum, which is zero for the wave function you wrote. That, of course, is compensated by infinite uncertainty in position. If you try to compute <q²>-<q>², the first integral will diverge.

Does that mean stationary states do not obey the Uncertainty Principle in the usual sense? We would need a sort of limiting process that would this work. I am having a hard time understanding this. I imagine a function like a gaussian being the phi(q) and then it multiplied by the phase factor, so I don't see how the uncertainty in position is infinite.

Last edited:

Related to Stationary States and Spreading of Wave Function

1. What is a stationary state in quantum mechanics?

A stationary state in quantum mechanics is a state of a quantum system where the probability of finding the system in a particular state does not change with time. This means that the wave function of the system remains constant, and the system does not evolve or change over time.

2. How is the spreading of a wave function related to stationary states?

The spreading of a wave function is the measure of how much the shape of the wave function changes over time. In quantum mechanics, a stationary state has zero spreading because the wave function remains constant. Non-stationary states, on the other hand, have non-zero spreading because the wave function is evolving over time.

3. What causes a wave function to spread?

In quantum mechanics, the spreading of a wave function is caused by the uncertainty principle. This principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision. As a result, the wave function of a particle will spread out over time, as the particle's location becomes more uncertain.

4. How do we measure the spreading of a wave function?

The spreading of a wave function can be measured by calculating the variance of the wave function. This is done by taking the square root of the average squared distance between the wave function and its mean position. The larger the variance, the more spread out the wave function is.

5. Can a stationary state ever become non-stationary?

Yes, a stationary state can become non-stationary if the system is disturbed or interacts with another system. This can cause the wave function to evolve over time, resulting in spreading and changing probabilities. However, in the absence of any external influences, a stationary state will remain stationary indefinitely.