State-space description, nonlinear system, inverted pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the state-space description of a nonlinear system involving an inverted pendulum on a cart on a frictionless surface. The system is 2-dimensional and the outputs are theta(t), theta'(t), y(t), and y'(t). The given equations involve the sum of forces in the horizontal direction and the sum of torques about the pivot point. The conversation also mentions the masses of the cart and pendulum, the arm length of the pendulum, and the input force applied to the cart. The conversation also mentions the challenge of writing a state description for a nonlinear system and the use of MATLAB SIMULINK to simulate the system. The resulting plots show the pendulum swinging perpetually and the cart teeter
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Inverted pendulum on a cart on a frictionless surface, write the state-space description of a nonlinear system. outputs are theta(t), theta'(t), y(t), y'(t). Everything is 2-dimensional.

Homework Equations

theta(t) is the angle between the gravity vector and pendulum
y(t) is the horizontal position of the cart.

These were given:

sum of the forces in the horizontal direction:
[tex]
\ddot{\theta} = \frac{(M+m)gsin(\theta) - cos(\theta)[u + ml \dot{\theta}^2sin(\theta)}{\frac{4}{3}(m+M)l-mlcos(\theta)^2}
[/tex]sum of the torques about the pivot point:
[tex]
\ddot{y} = \frac{u + ml[\dot{\theta}^2sin(\theta) - \ddot{\theta}cos(\theta)}{m+M}
[/tex]

If it matters,

M = mass of cart
m = mass of pendulum
l = arm length of pendulum
u(t) = input force applied to cart

The Attempt at a Solution

I have only done linear systems in state-space description with nice simplified answers and the A matrix was full of constants...not sure what to do in the non-linear case. I did think about linearizing it, but the next problem tells me to linearize it and then compare with the result of this problem...so I'm going to have to do it legit.

I got far enough to define the state-variables...but I have no clue what to do about all the sines and cosines in the equations, or how to properly form the state-space matrix.

Anyone care to hold my hand for a bit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully someone here knows how to "write a state description of the nonlinear system." I did keep moving forward, and simulated the system in MATLAB SIMULINK by just creating a diagram of the given equations.

My new question is, do these plots make sense in a frictionless environment? I'll attach the plots, but basically the position keeps teetering back and forth without actually making any total displacement, and the pendulum keeps swinging perpetually, always reaching a the starting vertical direction (IE, if I set the initial condition at pi/4, it will swing to 7pi/4, then swing in the opposite direction back to pi/4.

I stink at thinking about things without friction.

Prob8_Simulink.png

Prob8_Plot_Smaller.png

Prob8_Position_Plot_Smaller.png

Does this make sense?

Last edited:

Related to State-space description, nonlinear system, inverted pendulum

1. What is a state-space description?

A state-space description is a mathematical representation of a system's dynamics using state variables, which are variables that describe the current state of the system. It is often used to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as the inverted pendulum.

2. What is a nonlinear system?

A nonlinear system is a type of system where the output is not directly proportional to the input. This means that the system's behavior cannot be represented by a linear equation, and it may exhibit complex and unpredictable dynamics. The inverted pendulum is an example of a nonlinear system.

3. What is the inverted pendulum problem?

The inverted pendulum problem is a classic problem in control theory that involves balancing an upright pendulum on a moving cart. It is a challenging problem because the system is inherently unstable and requires precise control to maintain its balance. It is often used as a benchmark for testing control algorithms and strategies.

4. How is state-space description used to model the inverted pendulum?

State-space description can be used to model the inverted pendulum by representing the position and velocity of the cart and the angle and angular velocity of the pendulum as state variables. These variables are then used to describe the system's dynamics using a set of differential equations, which can be solved to determine the system's behavior.

5. What are some applications of the inverted pendulum?

The inverted pendulum has many applications, including as a benchmark problem for testing control algorithms and as a demonstration of control theory principles in educational settings. It is also used in various industries, such as robotics and transportation, for developing and testing control systems for stabilizing and balancing unstable systems.