Help with Inverted Pendulum on Cart EoM

In summary: The terms in parentheses are the torque on the pendulum due to those accelerations. In summary, the goal is to implement a working inverted pendulum on a cart with an industrial linear motor. The equation of motion is derived and it is unclear where the terms in parentheses come from. It is assumed that the inertia of the rigid body is accounted for. The displacement of the cart is x and the acceleration of the pendulum relative to the cart has tangential and radial components. The two terms are the horizontal components of those.
macardoso
TL;DR Summary
Working engineer trying to relearn some control theory. Help me understand the derivation for the Inverted Pendulum on a Cart Equations of Motion
Hi All,

My goal is to relearn some control theory and implement a working inverted pendulum on a cart with an industrial linear motor. See video:

Working through an example of an inverted pendulum on a cart posted here: https://ctms.engin.umich.edu/CTMS/index.php?example=InvertedPendulum&section=SystemModeling

1676249581944.png

I'm on the part where the pendulum on a cart is broken into free body diagrams and the equations of motion are derived. In the equation below, the horizontal forces on the pendulum are summed to create an equality to the reaction force at the pendulum pivot "N".

When I'm looking at the "Force analysis and system equations", I am trying to understand where all the components of equation (2) come from. I know this is probably elementary, however I am missing some of the steps that are likely glossed over in this example. The equation is:
N = m*x'' + m*L*theta''*cos(theta) - m*L*(theta')^2*sin(theta)

OK, so I understand why "N" is here, it is the horizontal reaction force at the pivot.

m*X'' also makes sense as this is the force felt by the pendulum due to any horizontal acceleration of the system.

I don't understand the term m*L*theta''*cos(theta). I think this might be a torque due to rotational acceleration of the pendulum, but if so, where is the inertia of the rigid body accounted for?

I'm rather unclear about this one, but I have a feeling that m*L*(theta')^2*sin(theta) comes from centripetal acceleration in the form F=m*r*(theta')^2.

I guess one additional question I have is how we know we have actually accounted for all the forces. In this example, I know the end solution so it was easy to see when I was missing something, but if I didn't how would I know if I forgot the centripetal acceleration?

Engineering news on Phys.org
macardoso said:
m*X'' also makes sense as this is the force felt by the pendulum due to any horizontal acceleration of the system.

I don't understand the term m*L*theta''*cos(theta). I think this might be a torque due to rotational acceleration of the pendulum, but if so, where is the inertia of the rigid body accounted for?

I'm rather unclear about this one, but I have a feeling that m*L*(theta')^2*sin(theta) comes from centripetal acceleration in the form F=m*r*(theta')^2.

I guess one additional question I have is how we know we have actually accounted for all the forces. In this example, I know the end solution so it was easy to see when I was missing something, but if I didn't how would I know if I forgot the centripetal acceleration?
x is the displacement of the cart. The acceleration of the pendulum relative to the cart has tangential and radial components. The two terms are the horizontal components of those.

1. What is an inverted pendulum on cart?

An inverted pendulum on cart is a classic control system problem that involves a pendulum attached to a cart that can move horizontally along a track. The goal is to keep the pendulum balanced in an upright position by controlling the movement of the cart.

2. Why is the inverted pendulum on cart a challenging problem?

The inverted pendulum on cart is a challenging problem because it is an inherently unstable system. Any slight disturbance can cause the pendulum to fall over, making it difficult to control and maintain stability.

3. What are the equations of motion for an inverted pendulum on cart?

The equations of motion for an inverted pendulum on cart can be written as a set of coupled differential equations, which describe the dynamics of the system. These equations take into account the mass, length, and moment of inertia of the pendulum, as well as the mass and friction of the cart.

4. How is the inverted pendulum on cart controlled?

The inverted pendulum on cart is typically controlled using a feedback control system. This involves measuring the position and velocity of the cart and pendulum, and using this information to calculate the appropriate control inputs to keep the pendulum balanced.

5. What are some applications of the inverted pendulum on cart problem?

The inverted pendulum on cart problem has many applications in the fields of control theory and robotics. It is often used as a benchmark for testing control algorithms and as a teaching tool for students learning about control systems. It also has real-world applications in areas such as robotics, transportation, and aerospace engineering.