Starting high-school physics. Any tips?

In summary, high school physics is not as difficult as it may seem. It is important to dedicate yourself to the material and ask questions in order to succeed. It may be beneficial to have some exposure to the subject prior to taking the course. Tips for success include drawing diagrams, estimating answers before using a calculator, and checking units.
-Dragoon-
I've just finished pre-calculus with an A+, so the math won't be much of a problem. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I will have to take the course online before I can do grade 12 physics in school.

I was just wondering tips on succeeding in this course and the do's and don'ts? Is it really as difficult as people say it is? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
High school physics is most-likely not as difficult as people say.

Especially for a dedicated student.

Most likely you will be taking the class with many people in Calculus. Most likely, there will be no strict Calculus requirement in your physics course. Most likely, you are intelligent and can either derive the relations between physics and calculus (alternatively, get a good book :D) or pick up the material at a great rate.

Most likely, it will be the easiest class you will ever have. This is a problem! Challenge yourself, somehow...

I don't think HS physics will be much of a challenge as long as you dedicate yourself to the material. As an introductory course into an entire new subject area, it might take a bit longer to digest the material (unless you had some exposure prior). So, make sure you have plenty of time to study and always ask questions and you should be fine.

Draw a diagram
Estimate the answer before hitting the calculator
Check your units

Related to Starting high-school physics. Any tips?

1. What are the basic concepts I should know before starting high-school physics?

Before starting high-school physics, it is important to have a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and trigonometry. You should also have a basic understanding of scientific units and measurements.

2. How can I prepare for high-school physics?

To prepare for high-school physics, you can review mathematical concepts such as algebra and trigonometry. You can also read about basic physics principles and familiarize yourself with scientific units and measurements. Additionally, you can practice problem solving and critical thinking skills.

3. What are some common challenges students face when starting high-school physics?

Some common challenges students face when starting high-school physics include understanding complex mathematical equations, grasping abstract concepts, and applying theoretical knowledge to real-world situations. Additionally, some students may struggle with time management and balancing the workload of physics with other classes.

4. Any tips for succeeding in high-school physics?

To succeed in high-school physics, it is important to attend class regularly, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions and activities. Additionally, it is helpful to practice problem solving and critical thinking skills, seek help from your teacher or peers when needed, and stay organized and on top of assignments and studying.

5. How can I make the most out of my high-school physics experience?

To make the most out of your high-school physics experience, try to connect the concepts you learn in class to real-world applications. This will help you better understand and retain the material. Additionally, participate in hands-on experiments and demonstrations, and ask questions to deepen your understanding. Finally, try to have a positive attitude and enjoy the learning process.