In a period of change and needing advice....

In summary: Do you think I should try to get into a calculus course before I start medical school? I'm thinking about going into medical school in the fall and I don't want to miss out on the class.I think you should definitely try to get into a calculus course before medical school. It'll help you to understand and appreciate the subject better, and it'll also give you the opportunity to get good grades in the class.
almcc0418
I'm currently an AEMT on track to go to Paramedic school. While I still love EMS and intend to stay in the field for as long as it suits me: I still feel myself pulled to studying physics. I've always been drawn to the field since high school. I'm not the best at math but I'm no stranger to hardwork. Algebra was OK, but so boring that I couldn't keep focused on it. Therefore, my grade suffered. I'm a little intimidated about calculus and was wondering if anyone had any tips or notes on how I should go into this. Not just calculus, but physics in general. Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can hone algebra while studying calculus, I think that there is no problem in that. As for your intimidation, disregard it, there is nothing to fear, calculus is a fun challenge :)

What should worry you, though, is your determination once you have started learning the subject. If you are not enrolled in a calculus course, It would, generally, be more difficult to stick to a study plan because of the lack of incentives such as exams, homework, the fact that your gpa is dependent on your marks... If you are determined enough, however, this shouldn't be a problem.

There's a youtube channel called Professor Leonard, he made an Algebra, Pre-Calculus and Calculus 1, 2, and 3 courses. I am sure others can recommend more resources.

On a more personal (as in of my beliefs) note, I think Algebra based physics is not worth it, doing some physics applications while learning algebra is OK for me, but I do not like that physics is taught using algebra :/ (Not saying that it shouldn't be done).

PS: This is a very humble opinion, I am still an undergrad so my views are not nearly close to being "objective", they might be of some use nevertheless. I am sure more experienced people will come and give their insights soon.

Likes almcc0418
almcc0418 said:
I'm currently an AEMT on track to go to Paramedic school. While I still love EMS and intend to stay in the field for as long as it suits me: I still feel myself pulled to studying physics. I've always been drawn to the field since high school. I'm not the best at math but I'm no stranger to hardwork. Algebra was OK, but so boring that I couldn't keep focused on it. Therefore, my grade suffered. I'm a little intimidated about calculus and was wondering if anyone had any tips or notes on how I should go into this. Not just calculus, but physics in general. Thanks! :)

Are you asking about doing some self-study in maths and physics? Or, about packing in your medical studies and doing a physics degree?

Likes almcc0418
Packing up medical and switching to physics at least while in my undergrad. There are careers for medical physicists but I'm not sure if I want to take that route. I plan on starting a physics degree after paramedic school (which runs from August 2020-August 2021). Paramedic school is rigorous so it'll be a hot minute before I start physics. I just want to see what my options are. I'd like to brush up on my math skills before I enter. Are there any self-study programs I could use?

Likes PeroK
archaic said:
You can hone algebra while studying calculus, I think that there is no problem in that. As for your intimidation, disregard it, there is nothing to fear, calculus is a fun challenge :)
What should worry you, though, is your determination once you have started learning the subject. If you are not enrolled in a calculus course, It would, generally, be more difficult to stick to a study plan because of the lack of incentives such as exams, homework, the fact that your gpa is dependent on your marks... If you are determined enough, however, this shouldn't be a problem.
There's a youtube channel called Professor Leonard, he made an Algebra, Pre-Calculus and Calculus 1, 2, and 3 courses. I am sure others can recommend more resources.
On a more personal (as in of my beliefs) note, I think Algebra based physics is not worth it, doing some physics applications while learning algebra is OK for me, but I do not like that physics is taught using algebra :/ (Not saying that it shouldn't be done).
PS: This is a very humble opinion, I am still an undergrad so my views are not nearly close to being "objective", they might be of some use nevertheless. I am sure more experienced people will come and give their insights soon.
Thanks for the insight! I'll have a look at that channel. I have a lot of time before medic school starts so I'd like to be familiar with calc before getting into a class. I've heard horror stories about the Uni near me when it comes to calculus so it can't hurt to be prepared lol.

almcc0418 said:
Packing up medical and switching to physics at least while in my undergrad. There are careers for medical physicists but I'm not sure if I want to take that route. I plan on starting a physics degree after paramedic school (which runs from August 2020-August 2021). Paramedic school is rigorous so it'll be a hot minute before I start physics. I just want to see what my options are. I'd like to brush up on my math skills before I enter. Are there any self-study programs I could use?
There's the Khan academy. They have material on maths and physics.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

If you have six months it may be an idea to look for a local course. The evidence of this forum is that self-study can be difficult in these subjects. Especially if you say you find algebra boring!

Likes sysprog and archaic
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
almcc0418 said:
I'm currently an AEMT on track to go to Paramedic school.
Full time EE here, and part-time EMT (the last `12 years).

How many days per week will your didactic classes be? Do you have a company lined up for the clinical and field internship portions? If not, how soon do you need to do that?
PeroK said:
If you have six months it may be an idea to look for a local course. The evidence of this forum is that self-study can be difficult in these subjects. Especially if you say you find algebra boring!
This is good advice. Do you have a community college near you that offers a 2-year degree in physics? If so, you might look at starting classes there before you go to medic school. After you get your medic license and have a more stabilized work schedule, you could try to schedule your medic shifts around some part-time classes at the CC.

It would be good for you to get some math and physics classes under your belt before getting too far along with medic school, IMO. If you end up really loving physics, it might change your choice of going to medic school and wasting all of that valuable time. You really need to be committed full-time to getting a medic license and to keeping it up.

Best of luck whichever route you choose! :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks! Medic school is at the Uni where I'd like to attend for a physics undergrad so I may try to take Pre-calc (required course) while going to medic school. The lectures are shift friendly so I can hopefully work around that. :)

Likes symbolipoint and berkeman
This is entirely just my own biased opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

You should pick your career on the basis of what excites you and holds your attention the most. Is there something that you find that, when you are working on it, you don't notice the time? A subject that you would go back and do the work on your own just because it was interesting? This has been called the subject that "glimmers." It's like finding a shiny pebble and being fascinated.

If you can find something like that you will have a rewarding career. You won't need somebody to sit on you and force you to work. You won't need the threat of bad marks on an exam to keep you working. The hours in your work day will fly by, and you won't be suffering.

If that's being a medical person of some kind, great! If that's doing something in physics, also great!

When I was in high school, I spent *MANY* hours doing math and physics problems for fun. I was busy studying problems from old American Mathematical Society prize exams, and Canadian Association of Physicists prize exams. In my last two years of high school, I probably spent a total of 2000 hours working on such exams. Never happier than when I was in the middle of some tough-but-doable problem. It was pretty obvious to me that physics was what I wanted.

If you can find that kind of thing, and make it your profession, you will have a rewarding career.

Related to In a period of change and needing advice....

1. How can I navigate through a period of change?

Navigating through a period of change can be overwhelming and challenging, but it is important to remember that change is a natural part of life. To navigate through this period, it is important to be open to new ideas, be adaptable, and have a positive mindset. Seek support from friends, family, or a professional if needed, and remember to take care of your physical and mental well-being.

2. How can I cope with uncertainty during a period of change?

Uncertainty is a common feeling during a period of change, but it is important to remember that change often brings new opportunities and growth. To cope with uncertainty, try to focus on the present moment and practice mindfulness. It can also be helpful to set small, achievable goals and celebrate your progress. Remember to be kind to yourself and trust in your ability to adapt and overcome challenges.

3. How do I make important decisions during a period of change?

Making decisions during a period of change can be difficult, as there may be many unknown factors and potential risks. It can be helpful to gather information, consider your values and priorities, and seek advice from trusted individuals. Remember to trust your instincts and be open to adjusting your decisions as the situation evolves.

4. How do I handle resistance to change?

Resistance to change is a common reaction, as it can be uncomfortable and disrupt our routines. To handle resistance, it is important to acknowledge and validate your feelings, but also try to understand the reasons behind the change and the potential benefits. Seek support from others and focus on the positive aspects of the change. Remember that change can lead to personal growth and new opportunities.

5. How can I stay motivated during a period of change?

Staying motivated during a period of change can be challenging, especially if the change is unexpected or unwanted. To stay motivated, it can be helpful to set specific and achievable goals, break down larger tasks into smaller ones, and celebrate your progress. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people, and remember to take breaks and practice self-care. Remind yourself of the potential benefits and stay focused on the bigger picture.