Starting Astrophysics degree this year. Advice.

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's acceptance to study astrophysics at Hertfordshire, their need for advice as a mature student, and their background in math and physics. They mention self-teaching AS level physics and math and currently taking an access course in chemistry, physics, math, and further math. The speaker also asks for recommended reading lists and advice on starting their degree.
Kvitty
Hi everyone,

I've recently accepted an offer to study astrophysics at Hertfordshire starting this September, obviously I'm excited, but after working for a few years in I.T then going back to college this year and starting university next year when I'll be nearly 22, I'm also in need of advice. Especially since I'll be moving 250+ miles to study there.

Is there any advice anyone could give me on starting my degree?
Any recommended reading lists that you lot could help me with?

ANY advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whats your background in math and physics now?

I self taught AS level physics and math curriculum and I'm currently doing a 1 year access course with chemistry, physics, math and further math A level equivalent.

Not as much as most people, as like I said, when I left school I went into I.T and did numerous qualifications that sector and worked there until recently.

Related to Starting Astrophysics degree this year. Advice.

1. What are the basic requirements for an Astrophysics degree?

The basic requirements for an Astrophysics degree may vary depending on the university you are applying to. However, most universities will require you to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as good grades in these subjects. Some universities may also require you to have taken specific courses in astronomy or astrophysics during your high school years.

2. What can I expect from the curriculum of an Astrophysics degree?

An Astrophysics degree will typically cover a wide range of topics, including astronomy, astrophysics, mathematics, physics, and computer science. You can expect to learn about the fundamental principles of the universe, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. You will also have the opportunity to study specialized topics, such as cosmology, planetary science, and observational astronomy.

3. What skills are important for success in an Astrophysics degree?

An Astrophysics degree requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, so having good analytical and problem-solving skills is essential. It is also important to have strong critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to think creatively and logically. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are also crucial for presenting and discussing complex scientific concepts.

4. Are there any specific research or internship opportunities available for astrophysics students?

Many universities offer research opportunities for astrophysics students, either through on-campus research projects or through collaborations with other institutions. Some universities may also have partnerships with observatories or space agencies, providing students with the opportunity to participate in internships or research projects in a real-world setting. It is essential to inquire about research opportunities when considering an Astrophysics degree.

5. What career options are available for graduates with an Astrophysics degree?

Graduates with an Astrophysics degree have a wide range of career options available to them. Many choose to pursue careers in research, working for universities, observatories, or space agencies. Others may choose to work in industry, using their skills in data analysis and problem-solving in fields such as finance, technology, or engineering. Some graduates may also choose to pursue careers in education, science communication, or science policy.