Stairway to Heaven, Best rock song?

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary: I like all Matchbox 20 albums :)I don't think I have physical graffiti baffledIn summary, Matt thinks that the best rock song is either Guns N' Roses' "Paradise City" or Matchbox 20's "Black Country Woman."
photon
I personally think Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" is the best rock song ever. No matter how many times I hear it, it never gets old. Whatdaya think?

Physics news on Phys.org
photon said:
I personally think Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" is the best rock song ever. No matter how many times I hear it, it never gets old. Whatdaya think?
It's good, but I like the "Battle of Evermore".

Right up there for me but I would have to say top ten only.

I thought that the entire Dark Side of the Moon LP was incredible - except for Money. Never liked that one for some reason.

More on the pop side; EJ, EJ, EJ. Couldn't begin to pick one.

The harder side, Aqualung, and Too Old to Rock and Roll, by Tull

Harder; Cat Scratch Fever; by the numbers anyway

Acidic, Purple Rain

Can't narrow it down any more than that

I thought that the entire Dark Side of the Moon LP was incredible - except for Money. Never liked that one for some reason.

I like Pink Floyd's "another brick in the wall."

It's good, but I like the "Battle of Evermore"

Never heard it. More info...

Right now, its near midnight, and I'm listening to Boston's "Long Time" and "More than a Feeling." Those two songs are awsome if you have the volume up really loud.

Anyone here like Alan Parson?

Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin. It was on their fourth album. One of their songs about the "Lord of the Rings".

I love the mandolin on it.

Weird. The title sounded like Enya or something. Was the song in the Lord of the Rings movies?

photon said:
Weird. The title sounded like Enya or something. Was the song in the Lord of the Rings movies?
No, it wasn't.

No? Now I'm all confused..

It would be hard for me to pin down the best rock song. But I can tell you the spookiest: John Lennon's Mother. I won't listen to it after 10 PM, because it gives me nightmares. :eek:

photon said:
No? Now I'm all confused..
The song came out over 30 years ago, but I highly recommend that you listen to it.

I think something like 'Achilles Last stand' rocks more than stairway.

But then I prefer Pink Floyd anyway - "ha ha, charade you are!"

photon said:
Anyone here like Alan Parson?

Definitely! Although I can't decide between 'I robot' and 'tales of mystery and imagination'

Matt

I like Friends by Led Zeppelin better than Battle of Evermore, but I don't know what's the best rock song is, but Led Zeppelin is the best rock-group *bangs head*

If you like "Battle of Evermore", then you may know there is a girl who sings with Plant in that song by the name of Sandy Denny. She is a famous british folk-rock singer from the 60's. Check out the band Fairport Convention. I started listening to them because i loved songs like Evermore, and going to california so much. They have some really fabulous songs. I recommend "Matty Groves", "Tam Lin", "Farewell farewell". Those shold be a good start. Tell me what you think.

-Jason

"Voodoo Chile, Slight Return" by The Master of the Stratocaster.

The battle of Evermore is on the same album as Stairway to Heaven :-p Only need to make one investment for people that like the songs. I think the best rock song is GNR - Paradise City.

jimmy p said:
The battle of Evermore is on the same album as Stairway to Heaven :-p Only need to make one investment for people that like the songs.

Yes, but who in their right mind would ever dream of buying only one Zeppelin album?!

and if you are going to get just one it should be physical graffiti :-p

funny how Led Zeplin has never had one top ten hit on bilboard, or any chart, yet today they are considered the best band of all time. for me i can not give anyone the tittle of best band ever since there are so many of them

I don't think I have physical graffiti baffledMatt, what songs are on it?? I may have it on mp3 without knowing it :biggrin:

Actually, my new favourite band is (sorry Marillion) Matchbox 20. Their first album went platinum many times but they never became "famous" as they didnt get high in the charts. I think it is quite a feat to be platinum selling 8 million in Australia, 5 million in New Zealand and diamond (over 10 million copies sold) in the US without becoming a mainstream popular band. And that was their FIRST album.

BUY THEIR ALBUMS!

Last edited:
Disc 1
01. Custard Pie
02. The Rover
03. In My Time Of Dying
04. Houses Of The Holy
05. Trampled Underfoot
06. Kashmir

Disc2
01. In The Light
02. Bron-Yr-Aur
03. Down By The Seaside
04. Ten Years Gone
05. Night Flight
06. Wanton Song
07. Boogie With Stu
08. Black Country Woman
09. Sick Again

Fantastic! :biggrin:

Matt

hmmmm I have some of their songs but not all of them...weird...

Barenaked Ladies are a great rock band. They are one of the most popular Canadian bands.

They do alternative rock, but fans say they do geek rock.

They have some very catchy tunes.

Actually, my new favourite band is (sorry Marillion) Matchbox 20

What!? I've only heard their "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song, and I thought it was just okay, nothing great though.

What about the Beatles? They are/were awesome. I mostly like their "While My guitar Gently Weeps."

Zepplins "Immigrant song" is sort of cool to.

Last edited:
I love popular rock "greatest hits," especially from '67 to '78. This is one case where the people's opinion rules. When I discovered Roxy Music, I learned to flashback to my lost, mystic college years.

Whatdaya think of the whole "reversed lyrics" thing for Stairway. They say the whole "bustle in your hedgerow" part contains a satanic message played backwards. I went to a site where you can listen to it backwards, and it really sounds convincing. I did a bit more research, and it looks like a very controversial subject.

photon said:
Whatdaya think of the whole "reversed lyrics" thing for Stairway.
Well, isn't that what makes it the number one rock song of them all? :biggrin:

They say the whole "bustle in your hedgerow" part contains a satanic message played backwards. I went to a site where you can listen to it backwards, and it really sounds convincing.
Would you have a link, I'd like to hear it again?

I did a bit more research, and it looks like a very controversial subject.
What's controversial about it? Careful listening reveals not one passage, but several... :smile:

In the very still of night
when folks are asleep
and the devils daemons start
making spirits weep
I'll be in the cemetery
with horns on me head
flashin’ black cross of
two big big bone
me invokin' the dead.
Muwahahaha
-Witch Doctor

[edit]
I thought Stairway To Heaven had a lot more meaning backwards... :-p :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Down by the River by Neil Young? Who else can craft a kick ass riff using only one note?

Or for a more offbeat candidate, Venus in Furs by The Velvet Underground. Also partial to Black by Pearl Jam and Where I End and You Begin by Radiohead.

photon said:
Whatdaya think of the whole "reversed lyrics" thing for Stairway.

Hmm, I think this is open to interpretation. I mean, if you play these songs backwards long enough (with the help of a few mind-expanding chemicals perhaps) I'm sure you will hear all sorts of things.

Matt

Rock! Down
Country! Up and RULES

Just a joke and only to express how I think about Country,
I honestly also love poprocks and slow rocks very much..
I like R&B much much too, and as always I say a big NO for hiphop or rap, whose sounds/melodies can really take my breath away(in its narrow sense) (smila)

I love most a quite old song by Elton John "You are blessed". I recorded his albums in most of my MDs, they are all in my disc cases. I like George Micheal also and sure you guys all know his famous "Wake me up before you go!" which I think can never be off the top of my head. Yeah, that is it!

photon said:
What!? I've only heard their "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song, and I thought it was just okay, nothing great though.

That was Deep Blue Something. Some fool has put it on mp3 downloading pages like Kazaa and WinMX as Matchbox 20 but it isnt.

Zepplins "Immigrant song" is sort of cool to.

Yes. Yes it is.

baffledMatt said:
Yes, but who in their right mind would ever dream of buying only one Zeppelin album?!

True. They have tons of great songs and it's impossible to say who's the better.

baffledMatt said:
and if you are going to get just one it should be physical graffiti :-p

nononoooo, Led Zeppelin I or III.

If we're talking Led Zepplin, how about "No Quarter"?

pace said:
nononoooo, Led Zeppelin I or III.

III definitely, but you can live without Led Zep I for at least a little while.

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
funny how Led Zeplin has never had one top ten hit on bilboard, or any chart, yet today they are considered the best band of all time. for me i can not give anyone the tittle of best band ever since there are so many of them
It's because they did not play "Top 40's" music. Their songs were considered too long and some were too suggestive. They weren't played on the "pop" radio stations, which back then mostly played what was termed "bubblegum" music aka mindless cr@p. Led Zepelin was part of the underground (alternative) music movement and they were played by underground radio stations.

Wasn't "Stairway to Heaven" in the top ten? I heard a lot of Zepplin on the regular rock station here in DC in the '70's. They owe a lot to the old American bluesmen, who got little of the money or credit.