Square root of Dirac Delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of dealing with the square root of Dirac Delta function in the context of calculating the wave function of a free particle and a harmonic oscillator at a given time. Different approaches are explored, including differentiating and using another definition of the Dirac Delta function, but no solution is found. One person suggests considering the integral of the Dirac Delta function multiplied by a function, but realizes their calculation is incorrect. They ask for help in finding a solution.
ismaili

Homework Statement

I wonder how to deal with the square root of Dirac Delta function, [tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}[/tex]. Actually, this comes from a problem which asking readers to calculate the wave function of a free particle and of a harmonic oscillator at time [tex]t[/tex], provided that the wave function at time [tex]t=0[/tex] is given, i.e. [tex]\psi(x,t=0) = \sqrt{\delta(x-a)} [/tex].

The way to obtain [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex] in this problem is by the integral with the propagators.
However, I have no idea how to deal with [tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}=?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate it,
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sqrt{\delta(x)} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\delta(x)}}\delta'(x)
= -\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\delta(x)}}\frac{\delta(x)}{x} = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sqrt{\delta(x)}}{x} [/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow
\int \sqrt{\delta(x)}f(x)dx = -2\int xf(x)d(\sqrt{\delta(x)})
[/tex]
But this is still no good...

I also tried the other definition of Dirac Delta function,
[tex]\delta(x)\sim\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}e^{-x^2/\epsilon}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \sqrt{\delta(x)} = \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}e^{-x^2/2\epsilon}
=\lim_{\epsilon'\rightarrow 0}e^{-x^2/\epsilon'} = \delta(x) ?? [/tex]

still no good...

I also tried to calculate [tex]\psi(x,t)^2[/tex] to try to get rid of the square root,
but it seems doesn't help.

Is there anyone who has any ideas about [tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}[/tex] ?
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ismaili said:

Homework Statement

I wonder how to deal with the square root of Dirac Delta function, [tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}[/tex]. Actually, this comes from a problem which asking readers to calculate the wave function of a free particle and of a harmonic oscillator at time [tex]t[/tex], provided that the wave function at time [tex]t=0[/tex] is given, i.e. [tex]\psi(x,t=0) = \sqrt{\delta(x-a)} [/tex].

The way to obtain [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex] in this problem is by the integral with the propagators.
However, I have no idea how to deal with [tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}=?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate it,
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sqrt{\delta(x)} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\delta(x)}}\delta'(x)
= -\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\delta(x)}}\frac{\delta(x)}{x} = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sqrt{\delta(x)}}{x} [/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow
\int \sqrt{\delta(x)}f(x)dx = -2\int xf(x)d(\sqrt{\delta(x)})
[/tex]
But this is still no good...

I also tried the other definition of Dirac Delta function,
[tex]\delta(x)\sim\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}e^{-x^2/\epsilon}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \sqrt{\delta(x)} = \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}e^{-x^2/2\epsilon}
=\lim_{\epsilon'\rightarrow 0}e^{-x^2/\epsilon'} = \delta(x) ?? [/tex]

still no good...

I also tried to calculate [tex]\psi(x,t)^2[/tex] to try to get rid of the square root,
but it seems doesn't help.

Is there anyone who has any ideas about [tex]\sqrt{\delta(x)}[/tex] ?
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it's correct.
Consider
[tex] f(0) = \int \delta(x)f(x)dx = \int \sqrt{\delta(x)}\sqrt{\delta(x)} f(x)dx
= \int \sqrt{\delta(x)}\sqrt{\delta(x)} dg(x)[/tex]
where
[tex] \frac{dg}{dx} = f [/tex]
,then integration by part gives,
[tex] f(0) = -2\int g(x)\frac{\delta'(x)}{2\sqrt{\delta(x)}} dx
= \int g(x) \frac{\sqrt{\delta(x)}}{x} dx[/tex]

Now, let [tex] g(x) = xh(x) [/tex], we have,
[tex] f(0) = \int h(x)\sqrt{\delta(x)} dx [/tex]
,i.e.

[tex]
\int h(x)\sqrt{\delta(x)} dx = \left[h(x) + xh'(x)\right]_{x=0}
[/tex]

I'm not sure if I were correct.
Any help would be appreciated!

-----------

Gosh, I found one mistake just now,
I calculated the integration by part wrong,
I omitted one factor of [tex] \sqrt{\delta(x)} [/tex]
So the final formula is incorrect.

Last edited:

Related to Square root of Dirac Delta function

What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point of singularity or impulse in a system. It is defined as zero for all values of x except for when x = 0, where it is infinitely large.

What is the significance of the square root of Dirac Delta function?

The square root of Dirac Delta function, denoted by √δ(x), is used in quantum mechanics to represent the position of a quantum particle. It is a mathematical abstraction that allows for the calculation of probabilities and wavefunctions in quantum systems.

How is the square root of Dirac Delta function used in physics?

In physics, the square root of Dirac Delta function is used to represent the position of a particle in quantum systems. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle being found in a certain location.

What are some properties of the square root of Dirac Delta function?

The square root of Dirac Delta function is a mathematical function that has the following properties: 1) It is zero for all values of x except for when x = 0, where it is infinitely large. 2) It is an odd function, meaning that √δ(-x) = -√δ(x). 3) It is normalized, meaning that the integral of the square of the function over all space is equal to 1.

How is the square root of Dirac Delta function related to the Kronecker Delta function?

The square root of Dirac Delta function is related to the Kronecker Delta function, denoted by δ(i,j), in that they both represent a point of singularity. However, the Kronecker Delta function is defined in discrete systems, while the Dirac Delta function is defined in continuous systems. In some cases, the square root of the Dirac Delta function can be used to approximate the Kronecker Delta function in continuous systems.