Square based prism general rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for finding surface area and volume of rectangular prisms and square-based prisms. The formulas for rectangular prisms include the length, width, and height, while the formulas for square-based prisms are simplified to only include the side of the square face and height. The conversation also mentions the relevance of a previous question, which may provide helpful information for the current exercise.
ashclouded
Member warned about posting with no effort

Homework Statement

See attached picture

Homework Equations

For any rectangular prism, the formulas are the following:

Surface Area = 2(lw + wh + hl); l is length, w is width, and h is height.

Volume = lwh; l is length, w is width, and h is height.

For a square-based prism, the formulas are simplified into the following:

Surface Area = 2(s^2 + 2sh); s is side of square face and h is height.

Volume = s^2h; s is side of square face and h is height.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start the question at all[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use a formula for a specific subgroup (rectangular prisms) for your square-based prisms ! The latter are more general than just rectangular.

Is there anything you did or found in question 2 that is relevant for the current exercise ?

I don't have the question and answe on me but I will post it tomorrow
Thanks for replying, I've no idea how to do this and it's bugging me

Well, some good spirit warned you (for obvious reasons), but also moved to the calculus part of PF. Why would that be ?

Related to Square based prism general rule

What is a square based prism?

A square based prism is a three-dimensional shape with two parallel and congruent square bases, and rectangular sides connecting the bases.

What is the general rule for finding the surface area of a square based prism?

The general rule for finding the surface area of a square based prism is to calculate the area of each face (including the bases) and add them together. The formula is SA = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the prism.

How is the volume of a square based prism determined?

The volume of a square based prism is found by multiplying the area of the base (l * w) by the height (h). The formula is V = lwh.

What is the difference between a rectangular prism and a square based prism?

A rectangular prism has two different base shapes (rectangles), while a square based prism has two congruent square bases. Additionally, the sides of a rectangular prism may have different lengths, while the sides of a square based prism are all equal.

How can a square based prism be used in real life?

Square based prisms are commonly used in architecture and engineering to create buildings, bridges, and other structures. They can also be used as packaging for products, such as cereal boxes, or as storage containers.