Spring stiffness and Heat Capacity (Equipartition of energy)

In summary, the extra 2kBT energy comes from the vibrational energy. And since vibrational energy can be quantized using h-bar*omega we can equate those two. However, I am not sure if the 2kBT comes only from vibrational or vibrational AND rotational energies. And also if the mass we are using is the reduced mass of the system or just 2*mass of each hydrogen. Does the question say it's hydrogen? Hydrogen does not have Cv = 3k/2 below 2000K. In fact, I think the numbers in the question must be wrong. Cv = 3k/2 for a monatomic gas or a molecule at low temperatures where rotations are not activated.
godiswatching_
Homework Statement
At about 2000◦ K the heat capacity at constant volume increases to CV = 7/2kB per molecule from 3/2kB due to contributions from vibrational energy states. Use these observations to estimate the stiffness of the spring that approximately represents the inter-atomic force binding the molecule.
Relevant Equations
h-bar omega = 2KT
79379388_2648151558601772_895471398128975872_n.jpg

Here's a picture of what I tried. I was wondering if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you use the observations they told you to?
You got to make it explicit.

Show your reasoning.

Usually, if you have laid out your reasoning to go with the formulae and equations, you'll be able to see if you got it right.

Likes godiswatching_
Simon Bridge said:
How did you use the observations they told you to?
You got to make it explicit.

Show your reasoning.

Usually, if you have laid out your reasoning to go with the formulae and equations, you'll be able to see if you got it right.

my reasoning would be that the extra 2kBT energy comes from the vibrational energy. And since vibrational energy can be quantized using h-bar*omega we can equate those two. However, I am not sure if the 2kBT comes only from vibrational or vibrational AND rotational energies. And also if the mass we are using is the reduced mass of the system or just 2*mass of each hydrogen.

Does the question say it's hydrogen? Hydrogen does not have Cv = 3k/2 below 2000K. In fact, I think the numbers in the question must be wrong. Cv = 3k/2 for a monatomic gas or a molecule at low temperatures where rotations are not activated. A diatomic molecule with 2 active rotational degrees of freedom has Cv = 5k/2. When the (one) vibrational mode becomes active, the Cv rises to 7k/2. Perhaps it is this last step that the question means to refer to.

godiswatching_ said:
my reasoning would be that the extra 2kBT energy comes from the vibrational energy.
... energy stored as vibration. OK. Since you are told that at some threshold temperature, an extra mode of heat store-age becomes available... good for an extra 2kBT

And since vibrational energy can be quantized using h-bar*omega we can equate those two.
So far what you did matches your reasoning well.

However, I am not sure if the 2kBT comes only from vibrational or vibrational AND rotational energies.
Can you check? For example, how many degrees of freedom would you normally expect to get added for vibration as compared with vibration and rotation together? How much energy would you expect to be stored per degree of freedom?

And also if the mass we are using is the reduced mass of the system or just 2*mass of each hydrogen.
ie. is the quoted mass the reduced mass of the particle mass ... you'll have to decide that by context of the course, since it is not given. Which would normally be the case from your notes?

Notes:
... annotating your maths can save you marks if you make a mistake, and help the person marking not to make a mistake in assigning marks.
... the text of the question provided does not say what the molecule is or even if it is diatomic... is "hydrogen" or even "diatomic" a safe assumption?
... the idea here is to help you assess your own work so you can tell when you get good answers. (You are training to be able to solve problems nobody knows the right answer to, who will you ask then?)[/quote]

Related to Spring stiffness and Heat Capacity (Equipartition of energy)

1. What is the relationship between spring stiffness and heat capacity?

Spring stiffness and heat capacity are both properties that describe the behavior of a system. Spring stiffness is a measure of how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring, while heat capacity is a measure of how much heat energy is needed to raise the temperature of a material. In general, stiffer springs have lower heat capacities, meaning they require less energy to change their temperature.

2. How does equipartition of energy relate to spring stiffness and heat capacity?

Equipartition of energy is a principle that states that in thermal equilibrium, the energy of a system is equally distributed among all possible degrees of freedom. In the case of a spring, this means that the energy is distributed among the potential energy stored in its stiffness and the kinetic energy of its motion. This principle helps to explain the relationship between spring stiffness and heat capacity.

3. Can spring stiffness and heat capacity be changed?

Yes, both spring stiffness and heat capacity can be changed. Spring stiffness can be altered by changing the material or dimensions of the spring, while heat capacity can be changed by altering the material, temperature, or pressure of the system.

4. How do different types of materials affect spring stiffness and heat capacity?

The type of material used in a spring can greatly impact its stiffness and heat capacity. Generally, materials with higher stiffness, such as steel, will have lower heat capacities compared to materials with lower stiffness, such as rubber. This is because stiffer materials have stronger interatomic forces, making it more difficult for their molecules to vibrate and store thermal energy.

5. What is the significance of understanding spring stiffness and heat capacity in scientific research?

Understanding the relationship between spring stiffness and heat capacity is important in many areas of scientific research, including materials science, thermodynamics, and mechanics. This knowledge can help scientists design and optimize materials for specific applications, as well as provide insights into the behavior of complex systems.