Spring-mass system in circular motion has a maximum angular speed?

In summary: I still think it smells like a stability issue. At some critical angular rate, small perturbations might lead to wild swings, potentially breaking the spring.
Bruce_Pipi121
Homework Statement
It is a mass doing circular motion on a smooth horizontal table.
For a given maximum tension ##F_(max)## , I can solve for a maximum angular speed ##\omega_c## of circular motion. But I don't understand how Under some conditions the system can only achieve a maximum angular frequency ##ω_i < ω_c##.
I don't understand part (d)
Relevant Equations
Hooke's law $$F=k(R-R_0)$$
Tension provides as centripetal force $$k(R-R_0)=m\omega^2R$$
pic1.png

and this is my solution
WechatIMG17573.png

for question (d), it may seems that $$R=(k)/(k-m\omega^2)R_0$$ so that $$\omega ≠ \omega_i =√(k/m)$$
but $$\omega_c <\sqrt{k/m}$$ is always true, ##\omega_i## corresponds to the limit case when ##F_max## is infinitely large
Besides, I don't know other Physics prevents ##\omega## reaches ##\omega_c##

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're going along the right lines. Look at your expression for $$R = \frac{k}{k-m\omega^2}R_0$$Are there any values for ##k## and ##m## for which that expression is problematic? If ##\omega## exceeds ##\omega_i##, does the circular motion still hold, or do we get something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
I think you're going along the right lines. Look at your expression for $$R = \frac{k}{k-m\omega^2}R_0$$Are there any values for ##k## and ##m## for which that expression is problematic? If ##\omega## exceeds ##\omega_i##, does the circular motion still hold, or do we get something else?
Thank you my first replay here in PF:)
Yes, but what I can see is only that the denominator cannot be 0. i.e. $$k-m\omega^2≠0$$ so you are suggestion the limit is ##\omega_i^2=\frac{k}{m}##?
But there is always $$\omega_c<\omega_i=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$$ and the question requires us to find a limit ##\omega_i##<##\omega_c##

Last edited:
Bruce_Pipi121 said:
Thank you my first replay here in PF:)

Yeah, welcome :smile:

Bruce_Pipi121 said:
Yes, but what I can see is only that the denominator cannot be 0. i.e. $$k-m\omega^2≠0$$ so you are suggestion the limit is ##\omega_i=\frac{k}{m}##?
But there is always $$\omega_c<\omega_i=\frac{k}{m}$$ and the question requires us to find a limit ##\omega_i##<##\omega_c##

Right. The ##\omega^2 = \frac{k}{m}## is the resonant case, and corresponds to where ##R \rightarrow \infty## (not to mention, the spring will break!). So you won't find any solutions for circular motion ##\omega^2 > \frac{k}{m}##. That doesn't mean you won't find more exotic solutions, though!

At ##\omega^2 < \frac{k}{m}##, you will still be able to find circular motion solutions.

I don't know what the question means with ##\omega_i < \omega_c##, since clearly you can show this is not true. Let us wait for someone else to add their opinion!

Likes Bruce_Pipi121
A stability issue, perhaps?

Also. I think there is an inconsistency in the naming of variables here. You, and I initially, both took ##R## to be the current radial coordinate, which leads to the equation$$k(R-R_0) = mR\omega^2 \implies R = \frac{k}{k - m\omega^2}R_0$$and then if we are to set ##\omega_i^2 := \frac{k}{m}##, we would obtain$$\omega^2 = \frac{R-R_0}{R}\omega_i^2$$However the original question seems to say that ##R## is actually the extension, in which case the equation of motion is actually$$kR = m(R+R_0)\omega^2 \implies R = \frac{mR_0 \omega^2}{k-m\omega^2}$$Now if we set ##\omega_i^2 := \frac{k}{m}## we get$$\omega^2 = \frac{R}{R+R_0} \omega_i^2$$A small but nonetheless important detail; that will probably change your answers to b) and c) a little bit?

You can see that ##\ddot{\theta} = 0## since there are no external torques, and from NII$$m\ddot{r} - mr\dot{\theta}^2 = -k(r-R_0)$$Now ##mr\dot{\theta}^2 = \frac{L^2}{mr^3}##, so$$m\ddot{r} = -k(r-R_0) + \frac{L^2}{mr^3}$$i.e. the situation is equivalent to a particle moving in an effective potential$$U_{\text{eff}}(r) = \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} + \frac{1}{2}k(r-R_0)^2$$so there is definitely more exotic motion available!

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
Also. I think there is an inconsistency in the naming of variables here. You, and I initially, both took ##R## to be the current radial coordinate, which leads to the equation…
Yeah, you are right, thanks. I didn't notice R is actually extension here, so expression for R has to change. Besides, the graph given in question is also misguiding.
But this won't affect my answer b) and c) since I didn't use formula of extension R when I derive answer in b) and R never gets to appear in answer there.

Still, I am puzzled by part d) where ##\omega_i## < ##\omega_c##

Likes etotheipi
Bruce_Pipi121 said:
Still, I am puzzled by part d) where ##\omega_i## < ##\omega_c##

If it is any consolation, I too am puzzled. ##\omega_i## and ##\omega_c## are constants (for fixed ##k##, ##m##, ##R_0##, as is to be assumed), so obviously one is going to be greater than the other always.

I suspect it actually means to say that ##\omega < \omega_i##... that would make the most sense given the context, but it's a little different to what's actually written ?:)

I say mistake - would you agree @haruspex?

etotheipi said:
If it is any consolation, I too am puzzled. ##\omega_i## and ##\omega_c## are constants (for fixed ##k##, ##m##, ##R_0##, as is to be assumed), so obviously one is going to be greater than the other always.

I suspect it actually means to say that ##\omega < \omega_i##... that would make the most sense given the context, but it's a little different to what's actually written ?:)

I say mistake - would you agree @haruspex?
I still think it smells like a stability issue. At some critical angular rate, small perturbations might lead to wild swings, potentially breaking the spring.
I am not accustomed to solving stability questions though, so I do not straight away see how to analyse it.
I think I managed to an equation relating ##\dot r^2, L, r##, where L is the (constant) angular momentum, but has both an ##r^2## term and an ##r^{-2}## term.

Likes etotheipi
Could it possibly be the condition that it is not doing steady circular motion (if we increase the angular frequency very slowly to its maximum), but instead, we give the ball a tangential impulse at first. So the ball will start doing circular motion with angular frequency ##\omega_i## but spring will extend, could it potentially break the spring with such a critical initial ##\omega_i## which turns out to be smaller than ##\omega_c##?
by conservation of Angular momentum $$R_0 \times \omega_i R_0 = r \times \omega r$$ by conservation of energy $$\frac{1}{2}m\omega_i^2 R_0^2=\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{\omega_iR_0^2}{r})^2+\frac{1}{2}k(r-R_0)^2$$ if we set ##r=R_{max}=\frac{F_{max}}{k}+R_0## we can get ##\omega_i##

I just don't know would this method work and would ##\omega_i < \omega_c## be possible

Related to Spring-mass system in circular motion has a maximum angular speed?

1. What is a spring-mass system in circular motion?

A spring-mass system in circular motion is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is then attached to a fixed point and allowed to move in a circular path. This system exhibits simple harmonic motion, with the mass oscillating back and forth along the circular path.

2. What is the maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion?

The maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion is the fastest speed at which the mass can move along the circular path. It is determined by the properties of the spring (such as its stiffness) and the mass of the object attached to it.

3. How is the maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion calculated?

The maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion can be calculated using the equation ω_max = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the object attached to the spring.

4. What factors affect the maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion?

The maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object attached to it, and the radius of the circular path. A stiffer spring, a lighter mass, and a larger radius will result in a higher maximum angular speed.

5. How does the maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion relate to its period?

The maximum angular speed of a spring-mass system in circular motion is inversely proportional to its period. This means that as the maximum angular speed increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the maximum angular speed.