Spring constant and length of string. *Need Explanation*

In summary, the homework statement says that to jump the best ever, you need a cord long enough so that the 200g weight can have the best bungee jump ever. I tried to solve the equation for potential energy stored in the spring, but I don't understand how to find the constant. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but I'm not sure where else to go. So if anyone could help me out, it would be much appreciated.
Whitetiger101

Homework Statement

200g weight
spring unstretched length: 0.238m
spring stretched( 200g hanging on spring): 0.305m

Problem: Need to find length of a cord long enough so that the 200g weight can have the best bungee jump ever (barely not touching the floor which is 10m high)

Homework Equations

K=mg/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the constant of the spring in Newtons per meter : 29N/m
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I don't get the constant, because the constant is just the length of the spring with the weight on it, and the spring stretches more then just 0.305m, speacialy if i drop it from 10m up.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Please help me.
**Conclusion**
29N/m is (to me) a useless value and have no idea on how to get the length of string so that my "jumper" does not die.

Notes: i tried to make this as clear as possible.

Why i need help: Because i would like to know how bungee jumping works. (presentation in english class, need to understand all of it and not just read stuff on google.)

it is a demonstration so please help me i don't want to look like a fool infront of my class when my "jumper" hits the floor.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring constant tells you the force exerted by the spring given a certain amount of elongation. It also appears in the equation for potential energy stored in the spring:
F = kx
U = .5kx^2

Since total energy must be conserved, the gravitational potential energy that the "jumper" has before he jumps is equal to the energy stored in the bungee cord when he stops for a moment at the bottom (assuming none of his energy goes elsewhere). Since both the change in gravitational potential energy and the change in energy stored in the spring are related to the change in the jumper's height, you can set up equations and solve for the total distance he falls before stopping.

Keep in mind that real bungee cords probably don't follow Hooke's law.

Thank you very much.

Related to Spring constant and length of string. *Need Explanation*

1. What is the relationship between spring constant and the length of a string?

The spring constant and the length of a string have an inverse relationship. This means that as the length of the string increases, the spring constant decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of a spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress it. On the other hand, a lower spring constant means that the spring is more flexible and requires less force to stretch or compress it. This is why a rubber band, which has a low spring constant, is easier to stretch than a metal spring, which has a higher spring constant.

3. Does the length of the string affect the strength of a spring?

Yes, the length of the string does affect the strength of a spring. As mentioned earlier, the longer the string, the lower the spring constant and the weaker the spring. This is because a longer string has more "slack" or distance to stretch or compress, resulting in a lower force being exerted. In contrast, a shorter string has less slack and requires more force to stretch or compress, resulting in a higher spring constant and a stronger spring.

4. How do I calculate the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance. The units for spring constant are typically N/m (newtons per meter) or lb/in (pounds per inch).

5. Can the length of a string affect the accuracy of an experiment involving a spring?

Yes, the length of a string can affect the accuracy of an experiment involving a spring. If the length of the string is not consistent, the spring constant will also vary, leading to less accurate results. It is important to control the length of the string in experiments involving springs to ensure accurate and reliable data.