Difference b/t equilibrium and unstretched length of spring?

In summary, the problem involves a mass attached to four identical springs with a force constant k and an unstretched length lo. The equilibrium length of each spring is denoted as a, which can be different from lo. When the mass is displaced from the origin, the potential energy of the system follows the form (1/2)kor2, similar to an isotropic harmonic oscillator. The constant ko can be expressed in terms of k.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

Consider a mass attached to four identical springs, as shown in the figure. Each spring has a force constant k and an unstretched length lo, and the length of each spring when the mass is at equilibrium at the origin is a (not necessarily the same as lo). When the mass is displaced by a small distance, show that its potential energy has the form (1/2)kor2 appropriate to an isotropic harmonic oscillator. Express the constant ko in terms of k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help with interpreting this. The question didn't specify, it only told me they were different.

Physics news on Phys.org
I interpret unstretched length as corresponding to the equilibrium length of the spring with no mass attached.

Likes Vitani11
The problem statement references a figure, but there is no figure.

The free length is the length with no strain in the spring material. This usually means that the spring is not even supporting its own weight.

The equilibrium length would be the length of the spring when under some sort of load, perhaps due to gravity or some other force. The term suggests that there is some amount of strain in the spring material.

Likes Vitani11
Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a mass attached to four identical springs, as shown in the figure. Each spring has a force constant k and an unstretched length lo, and the length of each spring when the mass is at equilibrium at the origin is a (not necessarily the same as lo). When the mass is displaced by a small distance, show that its potential energy has the form (1/2)kor2 appropriate to an isotropic harmonic oscillator. Express the constant ko in terms of k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help with interpreting this. The question didn't specify, it only told me they were different.
I assume the four springs go from the origin to the corners of a square, and that this is all in the horizontal plane.
Consider first that there is no mass, just the four springs. If a ≠ l0 then they are either under tension or under compression - it won't matter which. Adding the mass changes nothing immediately since we are ignoring gravity. When the mass is displaced a small distance from the origin (you will need to make suitable approximations here) the tensions/compressions change, leading to a net restoring force.

Likes Vitani11
Was there ever a figure attached by the OP? I have not seen any such, so I really don't know what system we are talking about here.

Grinkle said:
I interpret unstretched length as corresponding to the equilibrium length of the spring with no mass attached.
The problem statement denies that interpretation. The unstretched length is l0 but the equilibrium length is a.

Dr.D said:
Was there ever a figure attached by the OP? I have not seen any such, so I really don't know what system we are talking about here.
The OP "liked" my interpretation in post #4, so I presume that is correct.

Finished, thank you for the help. I now know the difference between equilibrium and unstretched length.

Related to Difference b/t equilibrium and unstretched length of spring?

1. What is the difference between equilibrium and unstretched length of a spring?

The equilibrium length of a spring is the length at which the spring is neither compressed nor extended, and experiences no force. On the other hand, the unstretched length of a spring is the length of the spring when it is in its relaxed state with no external forces acting on it.

2. How are the equilibrium and unstretched length of a spring related?

The equilibrium length of a spring is directly related to its unstretched length. When no external forces are acting on the spring, it will naturally return to its unstretched length, which is also its equilibrium length.

3. Can the equilibrium and unstretched length of a spring be different?

Yes, the equilibrium and unstretched length of a spring can be different. This is because the equilibrium length is affected by external forces, such as weight or tension, while the unstretched length is only determined by the physical properties of the spring itself.

4. How does the equilibrium and unstretched length of a spring affect its spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is directly proportional to the force required to stretch or compress a spring. The equilibrium and unstretched length of a spring can affect its spring constant, as a longer or shorter spring will require more or less force to reach its equilibrium length.

5. How can the equilibrium and unstretched length of a spring be measured?

The equilibrium length of a spring can be measured by suspending the spring and measuring its length when there is no external force acting on it. The unstretched length of a spring can be measured by removing any external forces and measuring its length when it is in its relaxed state.