Spring Constant and cord length? * Need explanation*

In summary, the speaker is new to the website and is seeking help with calculating the length of string needed for a successful bungee jump. They have a spring with a weight attached and have calculated the constant of the spring to be 29N/m. However, they do not understand how to use this value to determine the length of string needed. They are requesting help and apologize for not following the homework rule on the website.
Whitetiger101
Okay, so hi. I am brand new here at PF and I am signed up to ask this because this site appears to have allot of people who actually care and explain how to answer things.

I have a spring and a 200g weight.
- The unstretched spring is: 0.238m long
- Stretched spring (with 200g weight hanging from it): 0.305m long

I calculated the constant of the spring in Newtons per meter : 29N/m
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
We are suppose to drop "a jumper" a.k.a my 200g weight from a 10m drop.
My prblem is to find the length of string i need in order to have a successful bungee jump and not have a dead "jumper"
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I don't get the constant, because the constant is just the length of the spring with the weight on it, and the spring stretches more then just 0.305m, speacialy if i drop it from 10m up.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Please help me.
**Conclusion**
29N/m is (to me) a useless value and have no idea on how to get the length of string so that my "jumper" does not die.

Notes: i tried to make this as clear as possible.

Why i need help: Because i would like to know how bungee jumping works. (presentation in english class, need to understand all of it and not just read stuff on google.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so sorry about posting this here. I read the homework rule after posting this.

Request delete.

Related to Spring Constant and cord length? * Need explanation*

1. What is the definition of Spring Constant?

The Spring Constant, also known as the Force Constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is defined as the force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is Spring Constant related to cord length?

Spring Constant and cord length are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the cord length increases, the Spring Constant decreases and vice versa. This is because a longer cord will have more material to stretch, making it less stiff.

3. How do you calculate Spring Constant?

Spring Constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation: K = F/x, where K is the Spring Constant, F is the force applied, and x is the distance stretched or compressed.

4. What is the unit of measurement for Spring Constant?

The unit of measurement for Spring Constant is Newtons per meter (N/m). This unit represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by 1 meter.

5. How does cord length affect the behavior of a spring?

The cord length of a spring can affect its behavior in various ways. As mentioned earlier, a longer cord will have a lower Spring Constant, making the spring less stiff. This means that a longer cord will be easier to stretch or compress. Additionally, a longer cord will result in a longer period of oscillation for the spring, meaning it will take longer for the spring to complete one full cycle of motion.