Spok travels to the year 1930 on Earth

In summary, the conversation discussed a chapter from Star Trek where Spock travels to the 1930s and uses a mnemonic memory circuit to communicate with the Enterprise. However, the speaker misheard it as harmonic memory and was inspired to search for similar technology or theoretical developments. They also discussed the use of equatorial flights and the disappearance of Amelia Earhart. The conversation concluded with the mention of another episode involving time travel.
quiet
I have entered this section of the forum and found references to Star Trek. This series once left me wondering. It was a chapter from the first era. Spok travels to the 1930s on Earth and his communicator breaks down. Asking, he manages to reach the laboratory of a scientist of 1930, who receives him very well and tries to help him as much as possible. The last step to communicate with the Enterprise is to improvise a memory that replaces the original memory of the communicator. In the midst of the noise at home, I thought I heard harmonic memory. I was stunned by surprise. This is advanced! , I thought. Of course, it is the only inexhaustible memory! What I thought I heard led to the idea of a memory based on the Fourier series. Two twin electronic oscillators connected to a mediating stage, designed to handle them and communicate with the system that needs a memory. The mediating stage converts each bit into an oscillatory signal of a certain frequency. No other bit can be converted to the same frequency.

We begin with empty harmonic memory. The first bit arrives, the mediating stage converts it into an oscillation and stores the waveform in oscillator A. The second bit arrives. The mediating stage converts it into an oscillation of another frequency, which is added with the oscillation of the first bit stored in A. The sum gives a waveform that is stored in oscillator B and is available A for the arrival of the third bit. The third bit is converted, added with the waveform in B and the sum is saved in A. The resulting waveform is increasingly complex, because it has more harmonic components. But if oscillators A and B are superlatively good, faithful and perfectly preserve the resulting waveform that is stored in each, there is no theoretical limit to the number of harmonic components that can be added. The theoretical limit is the square wave, which has infinite harmonics. So, in theory, a harmonic memory is capable of saving infinite bits. If A and B are perfect devices, that memory is inexhaustible. In a real harmonic memory A and B could not be perfect. But after many improvements, it can surpass all the other types of memories that have been invented until today.

Excited with the idea, I asked myself what possibility does human memory have of being harmonic and, perhaps, that A and B are not oscillators made of brain matter. That is, the wave functions of A and B are stored in fields located around the head and not inside.

Years later I saw the same chapter for the second time, in a quieter environment. What Spok says is not harmonic memory. It is mnemonic memory, which does not inspire the same thing and which is a redundant phrase, because in Greek mnemos means memoryonic. It's like saying memory memoryonic. A dullness.

This is the anecdote of a chapter of Star Trek looked one day that there was noise at home.

Physics news on Phys.org
In that story, the City on the Edge Of Forever, Spock attempts to create a mnemonic memory circuit

You heard something else in it namely harmonic not mnemonic and it has inspired you with curiosity and could become a great invention. We know that signals transmitted between neurons is of changing frequency not one of changing voltage levels as is done in computers today. So perhaps a memory based on some sort of Fourier series would be useful.

As far as I know though I’ve not heard of such a memory device. In communications though, satellite signals are quite complex and can carry a lot of meta info in addition to a video signal.

Also, at that moment, I have taken the job of looking for technology or theoretical developments similar to what that auditory error inspired me. I have searched not only for harmonic memory. I also used propositional logic in the search engine, for example Fourier.memory , complex.waveform.memory , wavegroup.memory , bits.storage.waveform and other possibilities as well. Nothing similar to the harmonic memory I have found.

Tank You for the chapter ! I love it !

In that episode, if I remember correctly, the method to get to the past is to orbit an astral body, in the opposite direction to its own rotation. Superman does the same around the Earth to travel to the past. If I remember something I read, aerial surveillance intercepts all attempts at equatorial flights and prevents them from being done. They also suppress attempts to fly over the poles, but the Star Trek episode shows equatorial orbit. Amelia Mary Earhart, famous plane pilot, disappearance just like her plane near Guinea, on an equatorial flight. I have never understood why the equatorial flight is currently repressed, because the machines have improved superlatively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Earhart

i think we are getting off topic here. The episode didn’t have a time travel orbital recovery. The Guardian simply restored the timeline. There was another episode where the starship catapulted around the sun to return to th present but these ar more fantasy than based on our present understanding of time from General Relativity.

Since we discussed the harmonic memory we can now close this thread.

Last edited:
Likes quiet

1. What is the premise of Spok traveling to the year 1930 on Earth?

The premise of Spok's travels to the year 1930 on Earth is that he is a time traveler from the future who has the ability to travel through time and space. He chooses to travel to the year 1930 on Earth to study and observe the events and cultures of that time period.

2. How does Spok travel to the year 1930 on Earth?

Spok uses a time machine or advanced technology to travel to the year 1930 on Earth. The exact method of time travel may vary depending on the specific story or universe in which Spok exists.

3. What challenges does Spok face when traveling to the year 1930 on Earth?

Spok may face challenges such as adjusting to the cultural norms and technology of the time period, as well as trying to blend in with the people of that era without drawing attention to himself. He may also face challenges in navigating the events and changes that occur during that year on Earth.

4. What is the purpose of Spok's travels to the year 1930 on Earth?

The purpose of Spok's travels to the year 1930 on Earth may vary, but it could include gathering information for scientific research, trying to prevent a future disaster, or simply satisfying his own curiosity and desire for adventure.

5. Will Spok's actions in the year 1930 on Earth have any impact on the future?

The answer to this question depends on the specific story or universe in which Spok exists. In some cases, his actions may have a significant impact on the future, while in others, his travels may have no effect on the timeline. However, it can be assumed that any actions taken by Spok in the past could potentially alter the course of history in some way.