Split ln() of two exponential summands

In summary, the problem being discussed is calibrating a temperature measurement model by solving an equation with known variable z and unknown regression terms x and y. The equation involves exponential and logarithmic terms, and the goal is to rewrite it in a non-exponential form in order to solve for the coefficients of interest. The exact details and variables involved are unclear, but it appears to be a constrained least-squares problem.
globi

Homework Statement

Dear all

I am calibrating a temperature measurement model and I am stuck with an equation. The variable z is given; x and y represent two regression terms with common regressors - which I will solve for a specific regressor in a second step.

Homework Equations

ln(e^x) = ln(z) + ln((e^x) + (e^y))

I need all x and y non-exponential, so that I can solve the equation for x and y. Now I am confused with the properties of ln((e^x) + (e^y)), this is a bracket of two exponential summands with two different exponents.

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know, the term ln(a+b) can not be rewritten that easily. But I was wondering if this changes if both summands are exponential, as in my case.

How can I solve the equation for x and y?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you know that ln(a)+ ln(b)= ln(ab) so your equation is [tex]ln(e^x)= ln(z(e^x+ e^y). Now take the exponential of both sides.

I also presume you know that you cannot solve a single equation for both x and y. It is relatively easy to solve for z or y. To solve for x I think you would need the "Lambert W function".

HallsofIvy said:
I presume you know that ln(a)+ ln(b)= ln(ab) so your equation is [tex]ln(e^x)= ln(z(e^x+ e^y). Now take the exponential of both sides.

I also presume you know that you cannot solve a single equation for both x and y. It is relatively easy to solve for z or y. To solve for x I think you would need the "Lambert W function".

If you know ##y## and ##z## the solution is easy:
[tex] e^x = \frac{z \, e^y}{1-z} [/tex]

Thank you for your answers. Maybe I was not clear. But as I wrote, only z is known a priori. x and y both represent two regression terms with common regressors, i.e. they have the same variables (which are known) and partially the same coefficients. In the end, I am interested in those coefficients (the relation amongst all coefficients is known, so that I can reduce them to one coefficient).
This is why I need to rewrite the equation in a way that I have both x and y in a non-exponential form. I will then fill in the regression terms for x and y and then solve the whole equation for the coefficients of interest.

HallsofIvy, your suggestion goes actually back in the direction I started. The original tool calibration equation is e^x= z*(e^x+ e^y) with x and y representing regression terms. Then I introduced ln in order to "get x and y down from e" and applied the rule you mentioned and ended with ln(e^x) = ln(z) + ln((e^x) + (e^y)). The left side is clear: I take the ln and get x; ln(z) is also fine (as z is known); but what is with ln((e^x) + (e^y)) ?

I hope now my problem is clear and any help is appreciated.

globi said:
Thank you for your answers. Maybe I was not clear. But as I wrote, only z is known a priori. x and y both represent two regression terms with common regressors, i.e. they have the same variables (which are known) and partially the same coefficients. In the end, I am interested in those coefficients (the relation amongst all coefficients is known, so that I can reduce them to one coefficient).
This is why I need to rewrite the equation in a way that I have both x and y in a non-exponential form. I will then fill in the regression terms for x and y and then solve the whole equation for the coefficients of interest.

HallsofIvy, your suggestion goes actually back in the direction I started. The original tool calibration equation is e^x= z*(e^x+ e^y) with x and y representing regression terms. Then I introduced ln in order to "get x and y down from e" and applied the rule you mentioned and ended with ln(e^x) = ln(z) + ln((e^x) + (e^y)). The left side is clear: I take the ln and get x; ln(z) is also fine (as z is known); but what is with ln((e^x) + (e^y)) ?

I hope now my problem is clear and any help is appreciated.

Your problem is very unclear, so let me describe what I THINK you might be saying. You have some independent variables, say u and v and two dependent variables x and y, for which you propose some formulas x = f(u,v) and y = g(u,v), perhaps of the simple forms x = a + b*u + c*v and y = k + m*u + n*v. You want to determine the coefficients a,b,c,k,m,n in such a way that for a given value z we have
[tex]e^{a + bu + cv} = z \left( e^{a + bu + cv} + e^{k + mu + nv} \right) [/tex]
for all ##u,v## (or at least for some ##u,v##) and also that the functions ##f(u,v) = a + bu + cv, g(u,v) = k + mu + nv## satisfy some kind of least-squares criterion (that is, you have a constrained least-squares problem--- constrained by the equation written above). Does that describe your problem, at least roughly? If not, you will need to present some details (such as the forms of x and y, the nature of the variables, etc.) and provide a more extensive explanation.

Related to Split ln() of two exponential summands

1. What is the formula for split ln() of two exponential summands?

The formula for split ln() of two exponential summands is ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b). This means that the natural logarithm of the product of two numbers is equal to the sum of the natural logarithm of each individual number.

2. Why is it useful to split ln() of two exponential summands?

Splitting ln() of two exponential summands can make calculations easier, as it allows for simpler addition rather than multiplication. It can also help in solving equations involving exponential functions.

3. Can I split ln() of more than two exponential summands?

Yes, the formula can be extended to ln(abc) = ln(a) + ln(b) + ln(c) and so on for any number of exponential summands. However, it is important to note that this formula only works for multiplication, not addition.

4. How is split ln() of two exponential summands related to the properties of logarithms?

The formula for split ln() of two exponential summands is based on the product property of logarithms, which states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each individual factor. Splitting ln() of two exponential summands is a specific application of this property.

5. Can the formula for split ln() of two exponential summands be used for complex numbers?

Yes, the formula can be extended to complex numbers. However, it is important to note that the natural logarithm of a negative number is not defined, so the formula would only work for complex numbers with positive real and imaginary parts.