Speed of Shadow Moving 40 ft from Pole: Solving the Problem

In summary, the tip of the man's shadow is moving at a speed of 25/3 ft/s when he is 40 ft away from the pole. This can be found by using the equation 6(dx/dt) - 9(dy/dt) = 0 and substituting (dx/dt) with 10/3 ft/s.
dajugganaut
Q. A street light is mounted at the top of a 15-ft tall pole. A man 6 ft walks awsay from the pole with a speed of 5ft/s along a straight path.How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 40 ft from the pole?

What I've done so far:
this scenario can be drawn as similar triangles. from similar triangles i got eh equation 15/6 = (x+y)/y, which is also equal to 6x-9y = 0.

i found the derivative of that, which is 6(dx/dt) - 9 (dy/dt) = 0. then, i substituted (dx/dt), which gives dy/dt = (10/3) ft/s. however, the textbook states that the tip of his shadow is moving at (25/3) ft/s.

have i done anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you happen to notice that 25/3 - 10/3 = 5? That should be a clue! (I.e. think about what x and y are in your equations!)

Related to Speed of Shadow Moving 40 ft from Pole: Solving the Problem

1. What is the speed of a shadow moving 40 ft from a pole?

The speed of a shadow moving 40 ft from a pole depends on the angle of the sun and the distance from the pole. It can range from approximately 0.5 miles per hour to over 10 miles per hour.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a shadow?

To calculate the speed of a shadow, you need to know the distance from the object casting the shadow to the object the shadow is being cast on. You also need to know the angle of the sun. You can use trigonometric functions to find the speed.

3. Why does the speed of a shadow change?

The speed of a shadow changes because the angle of the sun changes throughout the day. As the sun moves across the sky, the angle of the sun changes, causing the shadow to move at different speeds.

4. Can the speed of a shadow be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of a shadow cannot be faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is the fastest speed possible and shadows are formed due to the blockage of light. Therefore, the shadow can only move as fast as the speed of light.

5. How does the distance of the shadow from the pole affect its speed?

The distance of the shadow from the pole does not directly affect its speed. However, the distance does affect the angle of the sun, which in turn affects the speed of the shadow. The further away the shadow is from the pole, the smaller the angle of the sun, resulting in a slower speed.