A Related Rates Shadow Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate at which the tip of a boy's shadow is moving and the rate at which the length of his shadow is increasing as he walks away from a light at the top of a 16-ft pole. By setting up equations and using similar triangles, it is determined that the tip of the shadow is moving at a constant rate of 64/11 ft/sec and the length of the shadow is increasing at a constant rate of 20/11 ft/sec.
middleCmusic
EDIT: I think I figured it out - sorry for taking up space. I posted my answer below.*

Homework Statement

A light is at the top of a 16-ft pole. A boy 5 ft tall walks away from the pole at a rate of 4 ft/sec.

a) At what rate is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 18 ft from the pole?
b) At what rate is the length of his shadow increasing?

Homework Equations

No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know the general idea of how to solve related rates problems and here's what I've gotten so far before I got stuck:

Let x be his distance from the pole and let y be the length of his shadow.
Then by similar triangles, [tex] \frac{16}{x+y}= \frac{5}{y}, [/tex] so we have
[tex]16y=5x+5y,[/tex]
[tex]11y=5x,[/tex]
[tex]y=\frac{5}{11}x.[/tex]

Then what I thought I was supposed to do was [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{5}{11}\frac{dx}{dt},[/tex]
but from here I can't see how to apply the fact that he is 18 ft from the pole, since x doesn't appear in the related rates equation. I know that this problem should be easy and I'm probably overcomplicating it, but thanks in advance for your help!

* EDIT: I think I jumped the gun on posting about this one, sorry. Here's what I realized:

Since he is walking away at 4 ft/sec, [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{5}{11}*4\frac{ft}{sec} = \frac{20}{11} \frac{ft}{sec}.[/tex] This answers part (b).

Then let [tex]z = x+y,[/tex]
and [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{dy}{dt}=4+\frac{20}{11}=\frac{64}{11} \frac{ft}{sec}.[/tex]
This answers part (a).

Is this correct?

[Sorry for wasting space - I tried to delete the thread, but I don't know how.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The surprise in shadow problems like this is that there IS no dependence on x : the tip of the shadow advances at a constant rate and the shadow lengthens at a constant rate if the person is walking at a constant speed. Because the person-shadow triangle is similar to the lightpole-shadow triangle, the proportion between the two triangles is constant, so all the lengths along the ground will increase (or decrease) uniformly.

Last edited:

Related to A Related Rates Shadow Problem

1. What is a "Related Rates Shadow Problem"?

A Related Rates Shadow Problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate at which a shadow is changing in relation to the movement of an object casting the shadow. It is a common application of the related rates concept in calculus.

2. How do you solve a Related Rates Shadow Problem?

To solve a Related Rates Shadow Problem, you first need to identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, you can use the chain rule and set up a related rates equation to solve for the desired rate of change.

3. What are some real-life examples of Related Rates Shadow Problems?

Some real-life examples of Related Rates Shadow Problems include determining the rate at which a person's height is changing as they walk away from a streetlight, or finding the rate at which the length of a person's shadow is changing as they walk towards a building.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving a Related Rates Shadow Problem?

Common mistakes when solving a Related Rates Shadow Problem include not properly identifying the variables and their rates of change, not setting up the related rates equation correctly, and not using the chain rule correctly.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Related Rates Shadow Problems?

To improve your skills in solving Related Rates Shadow Problems, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the concept of related rates in calculus. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources to better understand the steps involved in solving these types of problems.