Speed of a sound wave (compressibe flow)

In summary, the speed of sound relative to a stationary observer is always 'c' or 'a', which is the speed of sound in undisturbed flow. However, if the medium through which the sound travels is moving, the speed of sound can be affected by the velocity of the medium. This means that the resultant velocity of the soundwave can be either 'c + U' or 'c - U', depending on whether the wave is traveling in the same direction or opposite direction as the flow. Additionally, at Mach 1, the speed of the sound wave is not actually zero, but it appears to be zero to a stationary observer since the sound source and the sound wave are moving at the same velocity. This is why sound
xJJx
Hi, there is no particular question that I need help on, just something my lecturer told us in lesson which I couldn't quite understand so i'd like to check my understanding on this. I know that the speed of a soundwave is 'c' in undisturbed flow. Suppose the flow velocity is 'U'. If the soundwave is convected by the flow, would the resultant velocity of the soundwave be 'c + U' if the wave is traveling in the same direction as flow, and would it be 'c - U' (vector sum) if the wave is traveling in the opposite direction to the flow? Does the centre of the sound wave travel at a speed of U whilst the ripples propagate at speed c?
Also, my teacher said that at Mach 1, the speed of the sound wave is exactly 0, which is why the soundwaves stop and compile to form a shockwave. I don't understand how the speed can be 0 when U=c at mach 1.
thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
All motion is relative. The Earth is moving through space as you speak. How do you handle that. When you talk on an airplane, how do you handle that?

The "Sonic boom" is experienced by an outside observer. The source of the sound (a jet plane, for example) is moving at Mach 1. The medium (air) through which the sound travels is not moving at Mach 1

Likes xJJx
xJJx said:
would the resultant velocity of the soundwave be 'c + U' if the wave is traveling in the same direction as flow, and would it be 'c - U' (vector sum) if the wave is traveling in the opposite direction to the flow?
Yes.
xJJx said:
Does the centre of the sound wave travel at a speed of U whilst the ripples propagate at speed c?
Yes.
xJJx said:
Also, my teacher said that at Mach 1, the speed of the sound wave is exactly 0, which is why the soundwaves stop and compile to form a shockwave. I don't understand how the speed can be 0 when U=c at mach 1.
The speed is not zero. It is zero relative to the sound source since they travel at the same velocity (only considering the moving direction of the sound source). So, as soon as the sounds source emits a sound wave, it "follows" it since they travel at the same velocity. When the sound source emits another sound wave, it therefore "stacks" on the previous sound wave.

speed%2Bof%2Bsound.jpg

Attachments

• speed%2Bof%2Bsound.jpg
    speed%2Bof%2Bsound.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 848
Likes cjl, scottdave, xJJx and 1 other person
The bottom line is you just have to remember that sound travels at the speed of sound ##c## (sometimes written as ##a## as well) relative to the air, so if the air is moving, you have to take that into account if you are looking at the wave speed relative to a stationary observer.

Likes cjl and xJJx
jack action said:
Yes.

Yes.

The speed is not zero. It is zero relative to the sound source since they travel at the same velocity (only considering the moving direction of the sound source). So, as soon as the sounds source emits a sound wave, it "follows" it since they travel at the same velocity. When the sound source emits another sound wave, it therefore "stacks" on the previous sound wave.

Thank you so much! this was very helpful. It creeps up a lot in exam questions so it's worth knowing

boneh3ad said:
The bottom line is you just have to remember that sound travels at the speed of sound ##c## (sometimes written as ##a## as well) relative to the air, so if the air is moving, you have to take that into account if you are looking at the wave speed relative to a stationary observer.
thank you!

Related to Speed of a sound wave (compressibe flow)

What is the speed of a sound wave?

The speed of a sound wave depends on the medium it is traveling through. In general, sound travels faster through denser materials, such as solids, and slower through less dense materials, such as gases.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a sound wave?

The formula for calculating the speed of a sound wave is v = √(E/p), where v is the speed of the sound wave, E is the elasticity or stiffness of the medium, and p is the density of the medium.

How does temperature affect the speed of a sound wave?

In general, as the temperature of a medium increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because higher temperatures increase the average speed of the particles in the medium, allowing sound waves to travel faster.

What is the speed of sound in air at room temperature?

The speed of sound in air at room temperature (around 20 degrees Celsius) is approximately 343 meters per second. However, this value can vary slightly depending on factors such as humidity and air pressure.

How does the speed of a sound wave compare to the speed of light?

The speed of sound is significantly slower than the speed of light. In a vacuum, light travels at approximately 300,000,000 meters per second, while sound travels at around 343 meters per second in air. This is why we can see lightning before we hear thunder.