Does the speed of sound depend on the speed of the medium?

In summary, the speed of sound in a medium is generally constant, but can be affected by the medium's movement. The sound wave travels at a speed relative to the medium, but for a stationary observer, it would appear to be moving at the speed of the medium plus the speed of the sound wave. This concept is important to consider when discussing shock waves and other phenomena involving sound waves traveling through moving mediums.
anonymous99
Homework Statement
Methane is transported along a 4km pipeline at a Mach number of 0.3 and
temperature 30◦C. A valve positioned 2km from the inlet begins to close, creating a pressure wave up and down the pipe. Calculate the time it takes for the
pressure wave to reach a) the inlet, and b) the outlet of the pipe. [for methane:
Cp = 2.2537kJ/kgK, Cv = 1.7354kJ/kgK, R = 0.5182kJ/kgK
Relevant Equations
The answers given are 6.3s for inlet and 3.4s for outlet, which I was able to obtain by dividing 2000/c-u and 2000/c+u.
This means the sound wave reaches the outlet faster as it travels in the same direction as the medium. But I was reading online that speed of sound is independent of the medium so I don't know why my professor used this approach. If speed of sound was dependent on the medium, then wouldn't shock waves be impossible because the sound wave would always travel at c+speed of medium?

Physics news on Phys.org
John781049 said:
But I was reading online that speed of sound is independent of the medium so I don't know why my professor used this approach. If speed of sound was dependent on the medium, then wouldn't shock waves be impossible because the sound wave would always travel at c+speed of medium?

Can you explain what you are saying here?

The sound wave in a medium moves relative to the medium, but generally has constant speed for a given medium (at a given temperature and pressure etc.). If the medium is moving relative to something else, then you have to take that into account.

In this case, the medium is moving relative to a pipe.

Likes anonymous99
I worked out c to be 299.3m/s. Does that mean that is the speed of the sound wave relative to the methane gas so for a stationary observer, he would see the sound wave moving at 299.3+speed of methane?

John781049 said:
I worked out c to be 299.3m/s. Does that mean that is the speed of the sound wave relative to the methane gas so for a stationary observer, he would see the sound wave moving at 299.3+speed of methane?

It would have to be. Think of people talking in an aircraft and the speed of those sound waves to a ground observer.

The sound travels normally inside the aircraft. From a ground reference frame, everything inside the aircraft is moving at whatever + the aircraft's ground velocity.

Likes anonymous99
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Related to Does the speed of sound depend on the speed of the medium?

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium. In dry air at sea level, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. Does the speed of sound vary in different mediums?

Yes, the speed of sound depends on the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density and temperature. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids or gases.

3. Does the speed of sound depend on the speed of the medium?

Yes, the speed of sound is affected by the speed of the medium it is traveling through. If the medium is moving, the speed of sound will be faster in the direction of the medium's motion and slower in the opposite direction.

4. How does the speed of sound change with temperature?

The speed of sound increases with an increase in temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules in the medium have more energy and can vibrate faster, allowing sound waves to travel more quickly.

5. Can the speed of sound be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of light is the fastest possible speed in the universe. The speed of sound is significantly slower than the speed of light and cannot exceed it.