Speed bump reaction force on a car

In summary, the car's acceleration after hitting the speed bump is indeterminate, and will be dependent on factors like the rigidity of the tyres.
Duffelmop

Homework Statement

Hi I need to solve the next problem: a car with a total mass of 1950KG hits a speed bump at 19,4m/s. The speed bump is 0,05m high and has a angle of 45°. The car hits the bump with the front axle first. How much force acts on the front axle on the moment of impact.

Homework Equations

I started with Newton's law... but I totally messed it up...
Also did some search work, but it made it only more complex for me:
http://www.shimrestackor.com/Code/User_Manual/Sections/Suspension_Velocity/suspension-velocity.htm

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry for my bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have quoted the question exactly? Seems like it should be asking for impulse, not force.

haruspex said:
Are you sure you have quoted the question exactly? Seems like it should be asking for impulse, not force.

They asked us to answer how much force was acting on the car in those conditions. It was an exam question this morning, and i really couldn't solve it. It seems for me like there is something missing...

Duffelmop said:
They asked us to answer how much force was acting on the car in those conditions. It was an exam question this morning, and i really couldn't solve it. It seems for me like there is something missing...
The force is indeterminate, since it will depend on e.g. the rigidity of the tyres. Assume it means impulse.
It's best to work symbolically and only plug numbers in at the end. Let the car be moving initially at speed u, have mass m, and tyres radius r.
Let the impulse from the speed bump be J and the horizontal component of the car's speed immediately afterwards be v.
For simplicity, we can take the car's mass as being m/2 at the middle of the front wheels and m/2 at the middle of the back wheels.
1. In what direction will the impulse be?
2. In what direction will the front tyres be moving immediately after impact, and at what speed? (Assume no bounce.)
3. In what direction will the rear tyres be moving?

Can you write a conservation equation to relate these?

Related to Speed bump reaction force on a car

1. What is a speed bump reaction force on a car?

A speed bump reaction force on a car is the force that is exerted on a vehicle as it drives over a speed bump. This force is caused by the change in momentum of the car as it goes over the bump, and it can be felt by the passengers inside the car.

2. How does a speed bump reaction force affect my car?

A speed bump reaction force can cause discomfort or even damage to a car if it is too forceful. It can also affect the suspension and alignment of the car, leading to potential long-term issues if the speed bump is too high or if the car is going over it at a high speed.

3. What factors influence the speed bump reaction force on a car?

The height and shape of the speed bump, as well as the speed and weight of the car, all play a role in the amount of reaction force felt by the vehicle. The material and condition of the speed bump can also affect the force exerted on the car.

4. How can I reduce the speed bump reaction force on my car?

The best way to reduce the speed bump reaction force on a car is to slow down while going over the bump. This gives the car more time to adjust to the change in momentum and reduces the force felt by the passengers. Additionally, using a vehicle with a higher suspension or larger tires can also help absorb some of the force.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to speed bump reaction force on a car?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns related to speed bump reaction force on a car. If the force is too strong, it can cause discomfort or even injury to the passengers inside the car. It can also lead to damage to the car itself, which could affect its overall safety and performance. This is why it is important for speed bumps to be properly designed and maintained to minimize the force on vehicles.