Can a Strong Man Push Two Freight Cars at Different Speeds?

In summary, it is not possible for the strongman to give either of the freight cars a greater speed than the other due to the equal and opposite reaction forces created when pushing against one car while using the other as a brace. This is based on Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Additionally, objects of differing mass will not move with the same acceleration when the same force is applied to them.
lynaa

Homework Statement

The strong man will push the two initially stationary freight cars of equal mass apart before he himself drops straight to the ground. Is it possible for him to give either of the cards a greater speed than the other? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

None this is a theory question.

The Attempt at a Solution

It is not possible for the strongman to push either of the cars with a greater speed than the other because when the man pushes against one car, he is using the other car as a brace. So the force of the man pushing on one car would create a reaction force against the second car.

I am not really sure this is the right answer. I don't completely understand this concept about action and reaction forces yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
lynaa said:
So the force of the man pushing on one car would create a reaction force against the second car.

That part is right.

Is the "reaction" force on the second car equal in magnitude to the force on the first car?

rude man said:
That part is right.

Is the "reaction" force on the second car equal in magnitude to the force on the first car?

I think it should be because of Newton's third law? Or do I not understand how his law works as well?

lynaa said:
I think it should be because of Newton's third law? Or do I not understand how his law works as well?
Correct.
Now, if the same force magnitude is applied to objects of differing mass, would you expect them to move with the same magnitude of acceleration?

Your understanding is correct. According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this scenario, the strongman is applying a force on one car, but that force is also being exerted on the other car in the opposite direction. This means that the cars will move away from each other with equal speeds, as the force applied on each car is the same. Therefore, it is not possible for the strongman to give one car a greater speed than the other.

Related to Can a Strong Man Push Two Freight Cars at Different Speeds?

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its velocity. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the equation F = m x a, where m is mass and a is acceleration.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying the object's mass and velocity. It is represented by the equation p = m x v, where m is mass and v is velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the relationship between force and momentum?

Force and momentum are directly proportional to each other. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be. Similarly, the greater the momentum of an object, the more force it will require to change its motion.

How is force and momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total force and momentum remain constant. This means that if there are no external forces acting on the system, the total force and momentum before an event will be equal to the total force and momentum after the event. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

What are some real-life examples of force and momentum?

Some examples of force and momentum in everyday life include a football player tackling another player, a car colliding with another car, a tennis player hitting a ball with a racket, and a rocket launching into space. In all of these scenarios, force is applied to an object, causing a change in its momentum.