Vertical acceleration due to car going over speed bump

In summary: This is why speed bumps are typically limited to 5mph.Not sure what you are asking. In summary, the car's acceleration is reduced by the weight of the car and the tyres, as well as the shocks on the car.
Complete

Homework Statement

Find the vertical acceleration of a car going over a speed bump a foot wide and 4 inches tall.

Homework Equations

Acceleration = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/55t2WCQI am getting an answer that is around 25*g
I know this is way too much.
neglecting the shocks on the car, what assumptions am I messing up that would allow me to do this problem correctly? This isn't homework, rather a small part of a larger project where I need the forces to do failure analysis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Complete said:

Homework Statement

Find the vertical acceleration of a car going over a speed bump a foot wide and 4 inches tall.

Homework Equations

Acceleration = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/55t2WCQ

I am getting an answer that is around 25*g
I know this is way too much.
neglecting the shocks on the car, what assumptions am I messing up that would allow me to do this problem correctly? This isn't homework, rather a small part of a larger project where I need the forces to do failure analysis.
attachment.php?attachmentid=58711&stc=1&d=1368514163.jpg

Was that 20 mph speed given ?

Was anything else given, which you have not included here?

Attachments

• 55t2WCQ.jpg
    55t2WCQ.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 7,669
Nothing was given other than the thing I am designing should be able to withstand the force of going over a speed bump. I originally had it at 30mph but my number was way higher so I lowered it hoping that would be my problem. I looked up online the higher end dimensions of a speed bump and got a smaller width of 1 foot and a height of no more than 4 inches. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, but speed bumps and speed humps are different. Also I was assuming I should use the bump where the force would be greatest. maybe I was going too high with 4'' but http://www.innoplast.com/sbs6.html was closer to what I was imagining going over.

r = (4² + ¼*12²)/2*4 =6.5
Yes, but I see naught where you are going with this?

Complete said:
r = (4² + ¼*12²)/2*4 =6.5
Yes, but I see naught where you are going with this?

I was going to work out the acceleration another way but the small radius caught my eye. If curved as per the original drawing it would have very steep sides - perhaps not as bad as a vertical kerb but still.

Article here suggests humps are typically designed to reduce speeds to 15mph where as bumps target around 5mph.

http://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Engineering/PDF/FAQ9_Speed_Bumps_and_Humps.pdf

Speed bumps, on the other hand, have a more abrupt design. They consist of a portion of raised pavement, but because of their abruptness their use is very restricted. In fact, most speed bumps are found in parking lots and or along private roadways. Their height is typically between three and six inches, and they are usually only one to three feet long. Speed bumps produce substantial driver discomfort, damage to the vehicle suspension, and/or loss of control if encountered at too high a speed. This is one reason speed bumps are not used on public roadways. In general, vehicles must slow to about five miles per hour or less for a speed bump (compared to 15 mph for a speed hump).

Thanks. This has been helpful.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58728&stc=1&d=1368554212.jpg

Fixed it and I got 5.4g as my maximum acceleration vertical. Thanks again.

Attachments

• mathpart2.jpg
    mathpart2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5,565
Complete said:
Fixed it and I got 5.4g as my maximum acceleration vertical.
Sure, but acceleration of what? The tyres, certainly, but a bit less for the wheel as a whole and much less for the vehicle as a whole.
Also, passenger discomfort is not just a matter of peak acceleration. It's a compound oscillator problem. With a short bump, a low speed can produce a much larger amplitude rise in the vehicle than a higher speed.

Related to Vertical acceleration due to car going over speed bump

1. What is vertical acceleration?

Vertical acceleration is the change in velocity in the vertical direction, or the rate at which an object's vertical speed increases or decreases.

2. How is vertical acceleration affected by a car going over a speed bump?

When a car goes over a speed bump, the vertical acceleration is affected by the change in the car's velocity as it moves up and down the bump. The car experiences a sudden increase in vertical acceleration as it goes over the bump, followed by a decrease as it levels out again.

3. How does the speed of the car impact the vertical acceleration over a speed bump?

The speed of the car plays a significant role in the vertical acceleration over a speed bump. The faster the car is traveling, the greater the change in velocity and the higher the vertical acceleration will be when going over the bump.

4. Can the vertical acceleration over a speed bump be dangerous for passengers?

In most cases, the vertical acceleration over a speed bump is not dangerous for passengers. The vertical acceleration is typically brief and does not reach high enough levels to cause harm. However, passengers with pre-existing medical conditions may experience discomfort or pain.

5. How can the vertical acceleration over a speed bump be reduced?

The vertical acceleration over a speed bump can be reduced by slowing down when approaching the bump. This decreases the change in velocity and, therefore, the vertical acceleration. Additionally, having properly inflated tires and a well-maintained suspension system can also help reduce the impact of speed bumps on vertical acceleration.