Speed and direction of a travelling wave

In summary, the given equation \Psi(y,t)=A\cos^22\pi(t-y) is a traveling wave with a speed of -1 or 1, depending on the order of (t-y) in the equation. This is verified by using the general form of a traveling wave, \Psi(x,t)=f(x-vt), and the partial derivative equation, \frac{-\partial \Psi / \partial t}{\partial \Psi / \partial x}.
sarvensogo

Homework Statement

[tex]\Psi(y,t)=A\cos^22\pi(t-y) [/tex]
Show that this is a traveling wave. Use the general form of a traveling wave to determine its speed and direction.
Verify your answer using [tex]\frac{-\partial \Psi / \partial t}{\partial \Psi / \partial x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The general form of a traveling wave from class is [tex]\Psi(x,t)=f(x-vt)[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to just use the form of the traveling wave, but the thing that confused me was whether or not I had to switch around the order of (t-y) in the equation to (-y+t)? If I leave it as is I get that the speed (v) is -1, but if I change the equation to read (-y+t) the speed becomes 1 instead. Either way using the partial derivative equation verifies my answer. I can post my handwritten work if neccesary for proof that I attempted it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sarvensogo said:
So I tried to just use the form of the traveling wave, but the thing that confused me was whether or not I had to switch around the order of (t-y) in the equation to (-y+t)? If I leave it as is I get that the speed (v) is -1, but if I change the equation to read (-y+t) the speed becomes 1 instead.
Please show your work (ideally typed here, that is easier to read. You can also use LaTeX). That should not happen as t-y is exactly the same as -y+t.

Related to Speed and direction of a travelling wave

1. What is the difference between speed and direction of a travelling wave?

Speed refers to how fast a wave is travelling, while direction refers to the path the wave is moving in.

2. Can the speed of a travelling wave change?

Yes, the speed of a travelling wave can change depending on the medium it is travelling through.

3. How is the speed of a travelling wave calculated?

The speed of a travelling wave can be calculated by dividing the wavelength by the period of the wave.

4. Does the direction of a travelling wave affect its speed?

No, the direction of a travelling wave does not affect its speed. The speed is determined by the properties of the medium it is travelling through.

5. Can a travelling wave have different speeds and directions at different points?

Yes, a travelling wave can have different speeds and directions at different points, especially if it encounters different mediums along its path.