Location of point mass based on graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the location of a point on a wave at a specific time, and considers the movement of the point mass and the direction of the wave. It is important to distinguish between the point of constant phase on the wave and the location of the point mass. The correct answer at t = 1 s is x = 0, as the point mass is moving downwards while x = 2 m is moving upwards.
songoku
Homework Statement
A simple harmonic transverse wave is travelling in the medium along negative x-direction. The waveform at t=1 s is shown in Figure a. The time dependence of displacement of a point mass in the medium is shown in Figure b. This point mass may be located at...
A) x = 0 m
B) x = 1 m
C) x = 2 m
D) x = 3 m
Relevant Equations
Not sure
1688260093649.png

Since figure (a) shows the waveform at t = 1 s, I also look at figure (b) when t = 1 s. The value of y is zero so I try to find the location of x from figure (a) for which y = 0. There are two value of x, 0 and 2 m.

Let say x = 0 is point P and x = 2 m is point Q. The period is 4 s so at t = 1 s, the wave has travelled to left for a quarter wave so initially point P is at x = 1 m and point Q is at x = 3 m so I think the answer is either B or D but I don't know how to determine which one is correct.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're mistaking the point of constant phase on the wave with the location of the point mass. The point mass moves vertically; it doesn't move along the direction of propagation of the wave.

Likes songoku and Lnewqban
songoku said:
... Since figure (a) shows the waveform at t = 1 s, I also look at figure (b) when t = 1 s. The value of y is zero so I try to find the location of x from figure (a) for which y = 0. There are two value of x, 0 and 2 m.
It is also important to consider either the point is moving upwards or downwards at t=1 s.
Imagine a paper ship floating on a lake, staying at same place, while riding (up and down) a wave caused by a stone falling nearby.

Likes songoku
vela said:
You're mistaking the point of constant phase on the wave with the location of the point mass. The point mass moves vertically; it doesn't move along the direction of propagation of the wave.
Ah yes
Lnewqban said:
It is also important to consider either the point is moving upwards or downwards at t=1 s.
Imagine a paper ship floating on a lake, staying at same place, while riding (up and down) a wave caused by a stone falling nearby.
I think I get it. At t = 1 s, the mass is moving downwards so the answer should be x = 0 since x = 2 m is moving upwards.

Thank you very much for the help and explanation vela and Lnewqban

Likes SammyS and Lnewqban

What is the location of a point mass based on a graph?

The location of a point mass on a graph is determined by its coordinates, which are typically represented by the x and y axes. The x coordinate indicates the horizontal position of the point, while the y coordinate indicates the vertical position.

How do you find the location of a point mass on a graph?

To find the location of a point mass on a graph, you can read the coordinates directly from the graph or use the distance formula to calculate the distance between the point and the origin (0,0).

What is the significance of the location of a point mass on a graph?

The location of a point mass on a graph is significant because it provides information about the position of the object in relation to other objects or reference points. It can also be used to track the movement or changes in position of the point mass over time.

Can the location of a point mass change on a graph?

Yes, the location of a point mass can change on a graph if the object is in motion or if there are changes in the position of other objects or reference points on the graph.

How does the location of a point mass affect its motion on a graph?

The location of a point mass can affect its motion on a graph by determining its direction and speed. For example, if the point mass is located at a point with a steep slope, it may have a faster motion compared to a point with a flatter slope.