How to find the direction of wave propagation

In summary, it was determined that the given expression $$ Ψ(x,t) = A cosh(36 x^2 - 12 x t + t^2)$$ describes a traveling wave, with a propagation velocity of ##\frac {1} {6}## and a propagation direction of to the right. This was found by rewriting the expression in terms of a general function ##f(u(x))## and applying the chain rule to solve the wave equation. However, a quicker and simpler method was discovered by rewriting the expression as the square of something, which allowed for an immediate determination of the velocity and propagation direction.
Decimal

Homework Statement

Given the following expression $$ \Psi(x,t) = A cosh(36 x^2 - 12 x t + t^2)$$ Determine whether this is a traveling wave and if so what is its propagation velocity and propagation direction?

Homework Equations

Wave equation $$ \frac {\delta^2 \Psi(x,t)} {\delta x^2} = \frac {1} {v^2} \frac {\delta^2 \Psi(x,t)} {\delta t^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

To figure out whether this expression solves the wave equation I decided to write the expression as a general function ## f(u(x)) ## and then apply the chain rule. In this way I was able to prove this expression describes a traveling wave without having to explicitly differentiate the hyperbolic cosine. This was still quite difficult and a rather lengthy calculation so if someone maybe knows a quicker way I would be eager to learn it.

My question is how to now determine the propagation direction. I figured out the velocity from the wave equation ## \frac {1} {v^2} = 6^2 ## but this gives me a negative and positive value for v. Which one is correct? I don't really know how to tell this from the expression.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Decimal said:
In this way I was able to prove this expression describes a traveling wave without having to explicitly differentiate the hyperbolic cosine. This was still quite difficult and a rather lengthy calculation so if someone maybe knows a quicker way I would be eager to learn it.
Please show your actual computation. Your result seems correct, but a priori we cannot provide you with alternative solutions if you do not show that you have solved the problem.

However, let me give this general hint: A solution to the one-dimensional wave equation can always be written on the form ##\Psi(x,t) = f(x-vt) + g(x+vt)##, where the first term is a wave traveling to the right and the second a wave traveling to the left. Such a function will always satisfy the wave equation, as you can easily show by insertion.

Likes Decimal
Here is what I did $$ \Psi(x,t) = f(u)$$ where $$ u = 36 x^2 - 12 x t + t^2$$ Then I started applying the chain rule to compute the partial derivatives. First for the partial derivative with respect to x: $$ \frac {\delta^2 f(u(x))} {\delta x^2} = \frac {\delta^2 f} {\delta u^2} (\frac {\delta u} {\delta x})^2 + \frac {\delta^2 u} {\delta x^2} \frac {\delta f} {\delta u} $$

Now I can compute the derivatives but leave the derivatives with respect to u, since they will be on both sides of the equation. If I do the same operation for right side of the wave equation I arrive at the following result: $$\frac {\delta^2 f} {\delta u^2} (72x-12t)^2 +72 \frac {\delta f} {\delta u} = \frac {1} {v^2} (\frac {\delta^2 f} {\delta u^2} (2t-12x)^2 + 2 \frac {\delta f} {\delta u}) $$

Solving this for v gives me my results. I hope this is enough info on my method. This gives me two possible values for v, so I am not quite sure how to now determine the propagation direction

Looking at your ##u##, can you rewrite it as the square of something?

Likes Decimal
Ah yeah I can! ## u = (6x-t)^2 ## which I can rewrite to ## u = 36*(x- \frac {1} {6} t)^2 ## which means I can now write my function like $$ Ψ(x,t)=f(x- \frac {1} {6} t) $$ From this expression I can immediately see the velocity and propogation direction. That is indeed much easier than what I did! Thanks a lot!

Related to How to find the direction of wave propagation

1. How do you determine the direction of wave propagation?

The direction of wave propagation can be determined by using a compass or by measuring the angle between the wave and a known reference point, such as north.

2. Can the direction of wave propagation change?

Yes, the direction of wave propagation can change depending on factors such as the medium through which the wave is traveling and the presence of obstacles or barriers.

3. Are there different methods for finding the direction of wave propagation?

Yes, there are different methods for finding the direction of wave propagation, such as using mathematical equations or physical measurements.

4. How do you determine the direction of wave propagation in a three-dimensional space?

In a three-dimensional space, the direction of wave propagation can be determined by using spherical coordinates, which take into account the distance, angle, and elevation of the wave.

5. Is the direction of wave propagation always perpendicular to the wavefront?

No, the direction of wave propagation is not always perpendicular to the wavefront. In some cases, the wave may travel at an angle to the wavefront, such as in the case of diffraction or refraction.