Specific Heat Capacity Problem

In summary, to determine how much ice was added to a 0.75 kg jug of lemonade at 15 degrees celcius in order to reach a final temperature of 8 degrees celcius, the equation Q = cm∆T + mLv can be used, where Q represents the energy needed, c represents the specific heat capacity of water, m represents the mass of the lemonade, ∆T represents the change in temperature, and Lv represents the latent heat of ice. This equation takes into account the energy required to melt the ice, and by setting it equal to the energy lost by the warm lemonade, the mass of ice can be calculated.
chops369

Homework Statement

How much ice was added to a 0.75 kg jug of lemonade at 15 degrees celcius if the final temperature of the jug is 8 degrees celcius? (Assume the lemonade has the specific heat capacity of water.)

Homework Equations

Q = cm∆T

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I think I might have to rearrange Q = cm∆T to solve for mass, so m = Q/c*∆T. But I don't have the heat, and then how would I account for the mass of the jug? Help! :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the mass of the jug - it means the final temperautre of the mixture in the jug.
Remember the energy needed to melt ice.

So you're saying I need to use latent heat? If that's the case then I would use Q = cm∆T + mLv, right?

chops369 said:
So you're saying I need to use latent heat? If that's the case then I would use Q = cm∆T + mLv, right?
Yes, and that equals the Q = cm∆T lost by the warm lemonade to get to the final temperature.

Related to Specific Heat Capacity Problem

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) or calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g°C) using a calorimeter.

What factors can affect specific heat capacity?

The three main factors that can affect specific heat capacity are the type of substance, its temperature, and its phase (solid, liquid, or gas).

Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important in many applications, such as cooking, climate control, and industrial processes. It is also used in the study of thermodynamics and heat transfer.

How is specific heat capacity used in real life?

Specific heat capacity is used in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the energy required to heat or cool a substance, designing efficient heating and cooling systems, and calculating the energy needed for chemical reactions or phase changes.