Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Request
In summary, Flex was selected for a leadership program and has a one-on-one coaching session today. She thinks she has gotten the first time slot out of the 25 people in the program. She has goals of being an executive and thinks she can do management in her sleep, but is excited to discuss her skills and shortcomings with her coach.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
I've been selected for my company's leadership program. I have a one-on-one coaching session today. I think I've gotten the first time slot out of the 25 people in the program (world wide).

We're encouraged to talk about our goals and our recent "round 2" in-depth MBTI results. What are some other topics I might bring up? I'm drawing a blank.

I'm a senior controls engineer specializing in motion and mechatronics. My MBTI type is ENTJ. I'm 28. My short term goals are pretty standard, there's no manager for our engineering group, so I'd like to fill that role. I've spent a total of 5 years in project leadership and 3 years in functional leadership. My long term goals (like everyone else's, I'm sure) is to be an executive. I realize it's impractical, but it's a goal.

We meet at 2 (in about an hour). Just got the invite. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats Flex. :smile:

FlexGunship said:
My long term goals (like everyone else's, I'm sure) is to be an executive.

Don't make assumptions without evidence :smile:

I figured out years ago that I can do "management" in my sleep, but it was so boring I probably wouldn't want to wake up again.

Here's a question to think about: Suppose you were promoted 2 or 3 levels up the management hierarchy from your current position, and given the power and the budget to change whatever you liked in the company. What would you do?

And a follow-up question: if you got the same job, but with no special executive powers and no reorganization budget, then what would you do?

Gad said:
Congrats Flex. :smile:

Thanks.

AlephZero said:
Don't make assumptions without evidence :smile:

I figured out years ago that I can do "management" in my sleep, but it was so boring I probably wouldn't want to wake up again.

Here's a question to think about: Suppose you were promoted 2 or 3 levels up the management hierarchy from your current position, and given the power and the budget to change whatever you liked in the company. What would you do?

And a follow-up question: if you got the same job, but with no special executive powers and no reorganization budget, then what would you do?

At this point, if I were promoted a few levels up, the biggest change I would make would be to co-locate marketing and project management. They're only a couple hundred feet from each other, but they might as well be on different continents when it comes to program alignment.

Well, anyway, I didn't get a chance to use this during the conversation. But we found plenty to talk about. We mostly talked about skills that I lack and certain shortcomings in perspective. True to classic "coaching" form she put all of my questions back to me as questions. I have a few action items and plenty to think about.

If there are any __F_ (MBTI types with a feeling component) out there, let me know. I'm supposed to talk to a feeler; don't worry, she made me promise not to hurt any feelings!

FlexGunship said:
At this point, if I were promoted a few levels up, the biggest change I would make would be to co-locate marketing and project management. They're only a couple hundred feet from each other, but they might as well be on different continents when it comes to program alignment.

That could be fun. Once they are in the same room together, they might learn how to to throw real rocks at each other instead of just sending emails. Make sure they all leave their guns and knives at the door... :biggrin:

Seriously though, it seems like you got something useful from it - and that's the main thing.

AlephZero said:
Seriously though, it seems like you got something useful from it - and that's the main thing.

Definitely. I think in any of those types of sessions (whether they be personal coaching, leadership coaching, general emotional therapy, etc) you ultimately end up being the source of your solutions. Ask a question, and you get one back. It's a common tactic, but it works well. I found myself saying things that seemed clear in my head and then finding that those things really weren't; they were either convoluted or really undeveloped.

At one point, I said something to the effect of: "but why am I expected to pat someone on the back for spending a week coming to the wrong answer?" And after saying it aloud, I realized how silly that really is. Pragmatically, you often have to follow a problem to completion before you realize it wasn't the right track. But on a personal level, it's a really deflating experience to begin with and casual dismissal makes it all the more demotivating.

So, just an example...

Controls engineers FTW!

I think you'll do just fine talking with "feelers". You've never struck me as someone who is oblivious to others' feelings, in fact I suspect you have very good people skills.

Congrats :smile:.

Related to Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013

What is "Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013"?

"Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013" refers to a specific request or task with a deadline of 2 PM EST on September 25th, 2013. It could be related to a project, experiment, or other scientific task that needs to be completed by that time.

Who made the "Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013"?

The individual who made the request may vary depending on the specific context. It could be a supervisor, colleague, or client who needs the task completed by the specified deadline.

What happens if the "Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013" is not completed on time?

If the request is not completed by the deadline, there may be consequences depending on the importance and urgency of the task. It is important to communicate any delays or issues that may prevent the task from being completed on time.

How can I ensure that I meet the "Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013"?

To meet the deadline, it is important to plan and prioritize your tasks effectively. Make sure to allocate enough time for the request and communicate any potential issues or delays with the person who made the request.

What should I do if I have questions or need clarification about the "Special Request: Deadline 2PM EST 9/25/2013"?

If you have any questions or need clarification about the request, it is best to reach out to the person who made the request as soon as possible. This will ensure that you have a clear understanding of the task and can complete it accurately and on time.