Special Relativity- Lorentz contraction

In summary: Hi sebb1e! :smile:In summary, the discrepancy in the homework equations arises from the difference in time when the rays start. First ray leaves from (-r1*u-L/g) and second ray leaves from (L/g-r2*u) so apparent length if 2L/g+u(r1-r2). To find r1 and r2 I need to use Pythag theorem on the right angled triangles, (r1c, lamda, -r1u-L/g) and (r2c, lamda, L/g-r2u) I'm getting (r1-r2) to be 4
sebb1e

Homework Statement

Q1 http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/private/active/0/b07.2_c7.2.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I do the final bit that lead to the discrepancy and why does this occur? I have no idea where to begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sebb1e! :smile:
sebb1e said:
How do I do the final bit that lead to the discrepancy and why does this occur? I have no idea where to begin.

It has to do with the difference in time when the rays start. :wink:

I can't seem to get it to come out but am I along the right lines?

First ray leaves from (-r1*u-L/g) and second ray leaves from (L/g-r2*u) so apparent length if 2L/g+u(r1-r2). To find r1 and r2 I need to use Pythag theorem on the right angled triangles, (r1c, lamda, -r1u-L/g) and (r2c, lamda, L/g-r2u) I'm getting (r1-r2) to be 4u^2L/gc^2.

Hi sebb1e! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ and a lambda: λ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm not sure I follow what you're doing …

wouldn't it be easier to use the simple case where the angles are the same?

Essentially I've tried to work out the different lengths of time that light rays from the rod take to reach the observer. From the left end it leaves r1 before t=0 and from the right end r2 before t=0. r1>r2 as left end of rod is further from origin.

I've drawn two right angled triangles, one with sides (r1c, r1u+l/γ,λ) and the other (r2c, -r2u+l/γ,λ) This then means the apparent length is 2L/γ+u(r1-r2).

r1 and r2 are both positive so (r1-r2) cancels the roots and leaves 2uL/(γ(c2-u2)

This multiplied by u and then added to 2L/γ gives 2Lγ so I must have made an algebraic mistake before.

Does this make sense?

The angles are the same in O' and the question mentions angles. If correct, my method shows that the angle between the two rays implies a length of 2Lγ but I guess there's an easier way?

sebb1e said:
I've drawn two right angled triangles, one with sides (r1c, r1u+l/γ,λ) and the other (r2c, -r2u+l/γ,λ) This then means the apparent length is 2L/γ+u(r1-r2).

r1 and r2 are both positive so (r1-r2) cancels the roots and leaves 2uL/(γ(c2-u2)

Sorry, still not following it. :confused:

Assume that the centre of the rod crosses the y-axis at t = 0 in both frames.

Take any two points A and B with (x',t') coordinates in O'.

Find their (x,t) coordinates in O.

OK, so use the Lorentz transformation to show that two points that are simultaneous in O' and 2L apart are 2Lγ apart in O but not simultaneous.

Does this mean that the light rays hitting O at t=0 will imply a length of 2lγ then?

What I've done before is draw the actual light rays coming in from the end of the rod.

To reach O at time=0 the light must have left one end of the rod at r, which is before time 0. So at that time in O, the rod was actually at -l/γ-ru, the light ray then travels a distance of rc (the hyp) so it reaches the origin at time=0. Solve for r to get the time.

Similarly the other end of the rod was actualy at l/γ-su when the light ray left it to reach the origin at time=0 after traveling sc. Solve for s to get this time

So the apparent length of the rod will be 2l/γ+u(r-s) as this is the rays O sees at t=0.

Edit: Ignore

Last edited:

Related to Special Relativity- Lorentz contraction

1. What is the concept behind Lorentz contraction in special relativity?

The concept of Lorentz contraction is based on the idea that objects appear to contract in the direction of motion when observed by an outside observer moving at a different velocity. This phenomenon is a consequence of the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does Lorentz contraction affect the measurement of length?

Lorentz contraction causes an object's length to appear shorter in the direction of motion when measured by an outside observer. This means that the length of an object can change depending on the relative motion between the observer and the object. However, the actual physical length of the object remains unchanged.

3. Can Lorentz contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Lorentz contraction can be observed in everyday life. For example, when an airplane travels at high speeds, its length appears shorter to an outside observer than to a passenger on the plane. Similarly, the length of a moving train appears shorter to a person standing on the platform than to a passenger on the train.

4. Does Lorentz contraction only apply to objects moving at high speeds?

No, Lorentz contraction applies to all objects in motion, regardless of their speed. However, the effects of Lorentz contraction become more noticeable as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light.

5. What is the mathematical formula for calculating Lorentz contraction?

The mathematical formula for calculating Lorentz contraction is given by L = L0 * √(1 - v2/c2), where L is the observed length, L0 is the rest length of the object, v is the relative velocity between the observer and the object, and c is the speed of light. This formula is known as the Lorentz transformation.