Show that a matrix is a Lorentz transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that ##e^{\Omega}## is a Lorentz transformation along the x-axis with a rapidity of ##\psi##. The attempt at a solution involves calculating ##\Omega^n## and using the definition of the exponential of a matrix. A related variation of the problem is also discussed.
fineTuner

Homework Statement

Given the matrix
$$ \Omega = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & -\psi & 0 & 0 \\
-\psi & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$
show that ## e^{\Omega}## is a Lorentz transformation along the x-axis with ## \beta = tanh(\psi)##

Homework Equations

During the lesson we derived from the standard Lorentz transformation matrix the following matrix, where ##\psi## is the rapidity:

$$ \Lambda = \begin{pmatrix}
cosh(\psi) & -sinh(\psi) & 0 & 0 \\
-sinh(\psi) & cosh(\psi) & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix} $$

Other equations:
##cosh(\psi)=\gamma##
##sinh(\psi)=\gamma \beta##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From ## \beta = tanh(\psi)##:
## \psi=arctg(\beta) = \ln\sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}} ##
## e^{-\psi} = \sqrt{\frac{1-\beta}{1+\beta}}##
I think i have to show that the two matrices (##\Lambda## and ##e^{-\Omega}##) are the same, but i can't understand why there are zeros on the diagonal. For the two first zeros on the diagonal ##cosh(\psi)=0##, so ##\psi = \frac \pi 2##.
I think there's an error somewhere, because with the previous formulas it turns out that ##\beta = 1## and ##v=c##.

To be honest, i can't find the right way to solve the problem, maybe it's just algebra? Can you please give me a hint? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of ##e^{\Omega}##?

Can you calculate ##\Omega^n##?

##\Omega^n## can be obtained multiplying the matrix n times. I underestimated the definition of ##e^{\Omega}##, i guess i can't obtain it taking the exponential of each element... now I'm reading the definition on wikipedia.

fineTuner said:
##\Omega^n## can be obtained multiplying the matrix n times. I underestimated the definition of ##e^{\Omega}##, i guess i can't obtain it taking the exponential of each element... now I'm reading the definition on wikipedia.
The exponential of a matrix is defined as in quantum mechanics, through its Taylor expansion (here around ##\psi=0##).

Related to Show that a matrix is a Lorentz transformation

1. What is a Lorentz transformation?

A Lorentz transformation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between space and time in the theory of special relativity. It describes how measurements of space and time change for observers in different inertial frames of reference.

2. How do you show that a matrix is a Lorentz transformation?

To show that a matrix is a Lorentz transformation, it must satisfy the following conditions:

• The matrix must be square and have a determinant of 1.
  • All elements on the main diagonal must be 1 or -1.
  • All other elements must be 0, except for one element that can be any real number.

If these conditions are met, the matrix can be considered a Lorentz transformation.

3. What is the significance of a Lorentz transformation?

A Lorentz transformation is significant because it is a fundamental concept in the theory of special relativity. It describes how measurements of space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference and helps to explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

4. Can a matrix be both a Lorentz transformation and a rotation matrix?

Yes, a matrix can be both a Lorentz transformation and a rotation matrix if it satisfies the conditions for both. However, not all Lorentz transformations are rotations, as they can also involve boosts in space and time.

5. How are Lorentz transformations used in physics?

Lorentz transformations are used in physics to describe the behavior of objects in motion, particularly at high speeds. They are essential in the theory of special relativity and are used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.