What should I do to understand special relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the individual is facing with understanding and applying concepts of special relativity, specifically with regards to problems involving Time dilation, length constraction, and the Lorentz Transformation. They mention using various textbooks and resources, and admit to only memorizing the formula without truly understanding it. They also mention their difficulty with understanding the concept of observers in motion. They are advised to give more background information and post a problem for better understanding, as well as to think about the Lorentz Transformation in terms of a large array of synchronized observers in each frame rather than a single observer.
agnimusayoti
Homework Statement:: There are plenty of special relativity problems on Time dilation, length constraction, and Lorentz Transformation. But, I can't solve anyone, even the simplest problem.
Relevant Equations:: Time dilation, length constraction, Lorentz Transformation

What should I do to understand the concept of special relativity so I can apply those concepts to solve Problem?? So far I just remembering the formula TT

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending at the level you are learning it, a good understanding of euclidean geometry, vectors, and understanding of R^3 does not hurt. I did not find SR difficult, because I was a math major, but I seen my friend who is a lot brighter than me struggle, because there were "basic math" holes in her knowledge, which were the holes I listed above. At what level are you trying to understand SR?If it is at the the level of introductory physics sequence, then give Alonso and Finn : Fundamental University Physics a look. The Lorentz transformation is contained in book one. It is explained extremely clear here. Moreover, I believe its construction was also given (its been a while).

There is also the book called Space Time Physics. Get the red book (I believe its the 1st).

Please state your understanding of the Lorentz Transformation.

agnimusayoti said:
Homework Statement:: There are plenty of special relativity problems on Time dilation, length constraction, and Lorentz Transformation. But, I can't solve anyone, even the simplest problem.
Relevant Equations:: Time dilation, length constraction, Lorentz Transformation

What should I do to understand the concept of special relativity so I can apply those concepts to solve Problem?? So far I just remembering the formula TT
I think you need to give us more information on how you are trying to learn SR. Is this self-study of part of a course? What textbooks or other resources are you using?

Your profile implies you have an undergraduate degree in physics and are doing a master's. Is that correct?

MidgetDwarf said:
Depending at the level you are learning it, a good understanding of euclidean geometry, vectors, and understanding of R^3 does not hurt. I did not find SR difficult, because I was a math major, but I seen my friend who is a lot brighter than me struggle, because there were "basic math" holes in her knowledge, which were the holes I listed above. At what level are you trying to understand SR?If it is at the the level of introductory physics sequence, then give Alonso and Finn : Fundamental University Physics a look. The Lorentz transformation is contained in book one. It is explained extremely clear here. Moreover, I believe its construction was also given (its been a while).

There is also the book called Space Time Physics. Get the red book (I believe its the 1st).
Hmm, I think its just the introduction of ST because it is included in Modern Physics Course.
So far I use the Krane and beiser's book. I can catch up the derivation of time dilation, length contraction, but then I lost when try to solve the problem. My main difficulty is about the observer. One of the difficult problem for me is relativity Velocity if the object move in R2 or more.
Yes, maybe I have to visit Finn and Alonso book to understand the Lorentz transformation.

Chestermiller said:
Please state your understanding of the Lorentz Transformation.
I just remembering the formula, not understanding. Besides that, the formula is for observer who move in x direction.

PeroK said:
I think you need to give us more information on how you are trying to learn SR. Is this self-study of part of a course? What textbooks or other resources are you using?

Your profile implies you have an undergraduate degree in physics and are doing a master's. Is that correct?
Actually, I have an undergraduate physics education. But, in my bachelor degree, I didnt get modern physics course. Btw, SR is included in my Modern Physics Course. So basically this course is new for me.

agnimusayoti said:
I just remembering the formula, not understanding. Besides that, the formula is for observer who move in x direction.
In order to be able to apply the Lorentz Transformation, you need to be able to provide a much better explanation of what it means physically/geometrically.

agnimusayoti said:
You ought to post one of your problems here under homework. It would give everyone a much better idea of the level you are working at.

Likes Chestermiller
Also, when you are applying the Lorentz Transformation, rather than thinking of what a single observer in each frame "sees," it is much better to imagine a huge array of observers deployed throughout each of the frames with clocks synchronized in each of the frames. The Lorentz Transformation tells you what observers from the two frames at the same event note on their own clocks and on the clocks of the other frame. They both agree on what their own clocks say and what the clocks in the other frame say.

Likes PeroK
agnimusayoti said:
I'll second the recommendation for the classic text Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler. You can download the first chapter of the first edition for free from Taylor's website. You can get the entire second edition as well.

Ok
Chestermiller said:
In order to be able to apply the Lorentz Transformation, you need to be able to provide a much better explanation of what it means physically/geometrically.
then, I will revisit Lorentz transformation in Finn and Alonso Book.

PeroK said:
You ought to post one of your problems here under homework. It would give everyone a much better idea of the level you are working at.
Sure, After I finish my study about Lorentz Transformation, I think I will try again to do some problems. Thankss everyone!

vela said:
I'll second the recommendation for the classic text Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler. You can download the first chapter of the first edition for free from Taylor's website. You can get the entire second edition as well.
Noted Sir. Thank you

Chestermiller said:
Also, when you are applying the Lorentz Transformation, rather than thinking of what a single observer in each frame "sees," it is much better to imagine a huge array of observers deployed throughout each of the frames with clocks synchronized in each of the frames. The Lorentz Transformation tells you what observers from the two frames at the same event note on their own clocks and on the clocks of the other frame. They both agree on what their own clocks say and what the clocks in the other frame say.
So it's like the observation of many frames is all true, right? But, because c is absolute then space and time become relative... I think I get the big idea of special relativity, but have to take a look on the detail in Lorentz transformation., especially when deal with determination of the velocity of spaceship as observed in moving inertial frame...

agnimusayoti said:
Actually, I have an undergraduate physics education. But, in my bachelor degree, I didnt get modern physics course. Btw, SR is included in my Modern Physics Course. So basically this course is new for me.

How did you get a physics degree without any modern physics (and I'm assuming that modern physics includes quantum mechanics and special relativity)?

Dr Transport said:
How did you get a physics degree without any modern physics (and I'm assuming that modern physics includes quantum mechanics and special relativity)?
In my earlier university, i just taught Atomic and molecule physics, quantum physics in separate course without looking special relativity.may be the reason is SR is not included in my country curriculum at that time. but i think the mistake is on me, because I don't study seriously. Eventhough I learn quantum physics, I don't get enough understand what is learned. In my master degree (physics teaching) I decide to strengthen my physics understanding, not the pedagogical ones.

In my opinion, the Lorentz Transformations are given too much emphasis for a beginner.

Consider this letter by Mermin
"Lapses in relativistic pedagogy"
American Journal of Physics 62, 11 (1994); https://doi.org/10.1119/1.17728
...Lorentz transformation doesn't belong in a first exposure to special relativity. Indispensable as it is later on, its very conciseness and power serve to obscure the subtle interconnnectedness of spatial and temporal measurements that makes the whole business work. Only a loonie would start with real orthogonal matrices to explain rotations to somebody who had never heard of them before, but that's how we often teach relativity. You learn from the beginning how to operate machinery that gives you the right answer but you acquire little insight into what you're doing with it.

In my opinion, one should first learn how to draw position-vs-time diagrams (a.k.a spacetime diagrams)
then learn how to study it with the appropriate geometry [analogous to Euclidean geometry].
I would suggest my own Insights [see my signature] (or those of others) as a possible starting point.

Yes, the 1st edition (Maroon) of Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime Physics (available at eftaylor.com) is good.
Bondi's Relativity and Common Sense (available at archive.org) is also very good, maybe even better for a beginner.

Likes agnimusayoti
Unfortunately I couldn't find SR topic in FInn and Alonso book. Am I right that Finn and Alonso (fundamental university Physics) is separated in 3 volume?

Related to What should I do to understand special relativity?

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects move in the absence of external forces and how time and space are affected by relative motion. It is a fundamental theory in physics that has been extensively tested and verified through experiments.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the effects of high speeds and the constancy of the speed of light. In classical mechanics, the laws of motion are based on the concept of absolute time and space, while in special relativity, time and space are relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

3. What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of simultaneity, time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc²). These principles form the basis of the theory and explain how time and space are affected by relative motion.

4. How can I understand the concept of time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This can be understood by the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers, so as an object moves faster, time appears to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer. This effect has been proven through experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. How can I apply special relativity in real-life situations?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology, such as GPS navigation systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as spacecraft, and has led to the development of other theories, such as general relativity. Additionally, the principles of special relativity have been used to develop technologies like atomic clocks and lasers.